Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

New 6v batteries - now tongue jack has power at all times

So, I am fairly sure that I must have put a wire somewhere it didn't need to be. I removed my 12v battery and installed two 6v batteries. I had to extend a couple of wires, and now my tongue jack has power to the up/down switch at all times. This means I can't turn off the tongue jack. I can still turn the light off on the tongue jack, but that doesn't help much. Can someone find/post the correct way it should be wired up? Pictures would be really nice. This is why you should always take a picture or write down how every wire was connected before taking anything apart. I thought it was an easy swap, but I must have gotten distracted at some point.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't panic!!!
Does the wire that runs from your tongue jack have an inline fuse with it? If so you are OK with how it is wired. I have my tongue jack, with an inline fuse wired directly to the battery. As long as there is a fuse there, it is OK. I got tired of replacing my MAIN TT fuse with the way it was wired before.

If you do NOT have an inline fuse on the wire coming from the tongue jack you have two options:
- you can go to AutoZone or any car parts store and purchase an inline fuse assembly and install it between the tongue jack and the battery
OR
- you can locate the TT's main fuse and wire the tongue jack on the TT supply side of the fuse. One side of this fuse will go to the battery the other side goes to the TT's battery charge controller inside the TT.

I am not sure as to what the fuse size is, but mine came with a 30 amp inline fuse.

Either way you are protected.

You may want to check to see if your TT lights go out if you pull the main TT 30 amp fuse by the battery.

Just my thoughts,
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

I do have a green wire with what looks like a relay coming from the jack that I connected directly to the battery. It is a large gauge wire, so I assumed it needed to go back to the positive side. On that same lug, I have the break away switch orange/black stripe wire connected. When I pull that lug off the battery, as I assumed, I have no power to the jack. Before I did the work on the batteries a couple weeks ago, I was able to turn my power jack on and off. Now I am not able to do that. I always have the power at the up/down switch, as well as power to the on/off switch (but like I said, it only turns the light on and off now).

Old 11-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Site Team

OK, the green wire that is hooked to the battery is your MAIN source of 12VDC power to the TT. The orange and black wire goes to the TT's Emergency "Break-away" switch and should be wired DIRECTLY to the battery post/terminal, with NO fuse.

That green wire has a little plastic/rubber fuse container on it and if you open it it should have a 30 amp fuse in it. Check that to see if it has blown.

Don
Old 11-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Do you have a VOLT meter you can use?

Don
Old 11-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #6

I do have a volt/ohm meter. I pulled the relay - I say relay because it says 20 amp and it is has a silver metal cap that is sealed. It's not like a fuse where I could see though it and tell if it is blown. So, here is what I have connected to the battery positive lug - one large black wire (1 or 0 gauge) which goes back to the trailer. Then I have a smaller black wire (I believe it is the charging wire as I still had my 7-pin connector attached at my truck and had power on that black wire - touched a bolt after I removed it and got a little spark - removed my 7-pin connector and now have no power on that black wire). I said before that I removed the green wire which goes through the relay and then directly to the black wire on the tongue jack - here is where I think it is wrong. Then the orange/black stripe wire - which I will remove from the green wire lug - both are on the same lug after I altered when I installed the batteries - then leave the black/orange stripe wire from the break away switch to the battery positive side. Where is the tongue jack wire supposed to go from/to? Not the battery directly I assume at this point? If the relay - only two pins - is put in the socket backwards, could that be the problem? There is no positive/negative sign on that and the green wire goes in and out with no way to tell if there is a specific polarity. Thanks again for any help.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #7

I think I might have figured out one thing - please let me know - I assume the black wire from my trailer - the one that had the power when I had my truck connector still plugged in - is supposed to go through the relay? Basically making the relay open until power is on the black wire? Then the other side of the relay would connect to my jack and the black wire?
Basically - one side of relay to the positive on the battery with the other side of the relay going to the jack and the black wire to the trailer?

Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Site Team

!st thing, unplug your truck. The last thing you want to do is kill something on the truck.
After disconnecting the truck, do you have 12VDC coming out of the (2) 6 volt batteries?

You have the (2) 6 volt batteries wired in series, correct? Negative post of battery #1 goes to the frame, positive terminal of battery #1 goes to the negative terminal of Battery #2, the positive post of battery #2 provides the 12VDC to the TT, tongue jack and the break-away switch.

How we doing so far?

Don
Old 11-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #9

Note taking on disconnecting - I wasn't even thinking about it before hand.

I do have the 12v coming off the batteries and they are wired correctly. I think I might have put two and two together. The green wire with the relay - one side goes to the battery, the other side goes to the tongue jack and the black wire coming from the trailer. I need to test that to be sure. Does that sound logical? This would put the jack and the small black wire to the trailer make the fuse/relay blow if anything goes wrong with the charging circuit or the jack. It makes sense to me, as now that I see both the black wires (one from the trailer and the other from the jack), I bet I just didn't realize when I disconnected everything last time that they both went to the relay, not just one. I will put a fuse in and wire it this way to see what happens - hopefully the fuse doesn't blow.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #10

Scratch that idea - I connected the two black wires (one from the jack and the other from the trailer) to one side of the green wire with the relay, and the other to the positive side of the battery. Still can put my jack up and down no matter what way the on/off switch is positioned. Any other ideas? I am starting to think it is not my wiring, but maybe a problem with the jack.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
What make of Tongue Jack do you have (if you don't know take a picture and post it)?
Seems like the switch is defect (I know you still can push the up and down). You have power to the light. On the Stromberg-Carlson TJ's water can get into the switches if not covered.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #12

The jack says HH-3500. I looked through the inspection hole on the top of it to see if any wires are touching on the switches - I don't see anything.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
Site Team

Here is the basic wiring diagram. The only option that may be different is that on some TT's the tongue jack is run on the other side of the main TT fuse (if the tongue jack does not have its own fuse).

Sorry I forgot to show the fuse on the Tongue Jack wire in the drawing.

Hope this helps.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Basic wiring diagram - battery.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #14

Can you feed 12VDC directly to the jack with nothing else connected except the ground? (Just like you took it out of the box and wanted to test it before putting it on the trailer.) That would tell you the condition of your jack.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Site Team

Corrected diagram

Here is the correct diagram:

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Basic wiring diagram - battery2.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
Can you feed 12VDC directly to the jack with nothing else connected except the ground? (Just like you took it out of the box and wanted to test it before putting it on the trailer.) That would tell you the condition of your jack.
I did just try that - no good. Still same problem.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Here is the correct diagram:

Don
That is how I had it - basically before/after I moved the wires and today. Instead of two relays or fuses, both the trailer charge line and the jack are going through the relay I have now. Everything else is the same.

Since I am pretty sure by bypassing everything for the jack, and it still won't turn off, I am going to look into problems with the jack specifically. Maybe it is a common failure?