Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #1

New bicycle storage solution mod

I'm working on a new bicycle storage solution that I think is really going to be nice. It's for bikes with quick release front tires (which I think a lot of bikes have now).

Pictures coming soon!
V-5 Talon hitch
Valley 1200 WD hitch w/ Valley sway
eatmorebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #2

New bike storage method

Ok, here it is. I was tired of putting our two bikes in the back of the truck because of space / hassle. And I didn't want to use the back bumper of the camper because I didn't feel comfortable doing that either and had a buddy with a bad experience. So here is what I came up with:

I used the dinette 'under the seat' storage space and I am able to store our two bikes here with little to no hassle. They are no longer in the way of anything since the table has to be down anyway during travel, and we were under-utilizing the space beneath the seat anyway.

Of course, this method only works for bikes with the quick release front tire, but I bet somebody could come up with another way with wheels still attached. I simply latch them down on the front spokes with a quick-release bike latch (purchased at any bike shop) and strap the two tires together in the back with a velcro strap. The two loose front tires store nicely in the same space as the 2X4 holding down the bikes in the storage compartment.

So with as much time as it usually takes me to put them in the back of the truck or strap them to something, I can put them here and they are safe, secure and I don't have to worry about them at all when towing.

And the best part to me is, they are located directly above the axles on my 25BHS for better weight distribution.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6647.jpg   IMG_6648.jpg   IMG_6649.jpg   IMG_6650.jpg   IMG_6652.jpg  

V-5 Talon hitch
Old 01-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #3

Clever!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #4

Nice mod. I do have a question. Why do you have to have the table down when towing? How does the leg(s) of you table attach to the floor and table top?

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #5

Thanks! It is pretty much my first real mod. I'm kinda proud of it. No doubt this forum was my inspiration though.

As far as the table being down: It is recommended by manufacturer. Two round posts support table. Each end slips into a round fitting, one under table top and one on the floor. The wobble that would occur during towing would be enough to eventually pull the screws loose on the floor fitting. The nice thing about having the bikes there now is I will actually remember to put the table down when travelling!
V-5 Talon hitch
Old 01-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmorebacon View Post
Thanks! It is pretty much my first real mod. I'm kinda proud of it. No doubt this forum was my inspiration though.

As far as the table being down: It is recommended by manufacturer. Two round posts support table. Each end slips into a round fitting, one under table top and one on the floor. The wobble that would occur during towing would be enough to eventually pull the screws loose on the floor fitting. The nice thing about having the bikes there now is I will actually remember to put the table down when travelling!
I hadn't heard that about the table before but it kinda makes sense. Also, I double-checked my manual and no mention of that was made. At any rate, I see you have bunks to store the cushions, etc. Since I have no bunks, I'd have to come up with places to put that stuff. Where do you store the plywood top from the side where the bike forks are fastened? Or do you just place it over the other one on the opposite side?

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #7

Everything can either store nicely on the floor beneath where the table usually is, or you could put it on top of the other one like you mentioned. I can't remember if I read that about the table or if it was mentioned to me at the dealer.
V-5 Talon hitch
Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmorebacon View Post
The wobble that would occur during towing would be enough to eventually pull the screws loose on the floor fitting. The nice thing about having the bikes there now is I will actually remember to put the table down when travelling!

Never heard that about the table with the two supports; I'm pretty sure your looks like ours. Good news though... we have traveled well over 10k miles so far in the past two and a half years with the table up the whole time (we removed it once during the PDI). With all those road miles, our screws are tight and the table is firm and not wobbly.

Neat mod. Glad it works well for you
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote