Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

NEW roof vent install, i.e. NOT replacing existing

I am looking to install a NEW roof vent (probably Fantastic Fan) in the bedroom of our 2016 26BH. This is a brand new install, i.e. not replacing an existing one.

Does anyone have any instructions or a YouTube video they could share? When I go searching all I find are replacement videos or home built camper/van installs.

My biggest concerns are cutting into the ducts for our air conditioning and/or wires.

From other videos I've seen the installation process seems pretty straight forward once the hole is cut.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #2

Someone on the posted on the forum, maybe 2 years old, a DIY vent installation, they did I think in the kitchen area. It looked really well done.

I would start with a call to Jayco, asking for the roof structure, electrical, and HVAC schematics. That will tell you where everything is located.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Someone on the posted on the forum, maybe 2 years old, a DIY vent installation, they did I think in the kitchen area. It looked really well done...
I haven't had any luck searching the forum. Any idea who the poster was or what the title was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
...I would start with a call to Jayco, asking for the roof structure, electrical, and HVAC schematics. That will tell you where everything is located.
I've tried that before installing my backup camera. All I wanted was information on the wiring for the "backup camera prep" that was supposedly ready on my 26BH. Many emails back and forth and all they would tell me was to take it to a dealer for any kind of work.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #4

The Jayco service department will gladly send you the roof schematic of your coach. You need to provide the last eight of your VIN number and they'll email it to you. The schematic will show where there is bracing installed to accommodate your mission.
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco Journey View Post
The Jayco service department will gladly send you the roof schematic of your coach. You need to provide the last eight of your VIN number and they'll email it to you. The schematic will show where there is bracing installed to accommodate your mission.
The important thing that Guntr needs to learn from the schematics is the locations of the roof trusses, ductwork, and wiring in the roof. Any bracing needed can be added after cutting the openings.

I couldn't find a video on a new installation of a vent fan but I did find on installing a new skylight. The construction should be pretty much the same for a vent fan. Of course, you will need to find 12v somewhere that handle the additional load of the fan that you can tap into.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #6

I did exactly what you are wanting to do. If you look at my pictures, I have the procedure. There are a couple more folks who have also done this and have better pics than me. Maybe they'll chime in. You do, however need to get the roof framing plan from Jayco so you know where to cut the hole. My 5er had the framing already in place. All I had to do was cut the hole and there was also a 12V wire there.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
I'll give it a try. My past experience had me hesitant, but I guess it's worth a shot. Maybe I'll get a different rep this time.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I did exactly what you are wanting to do. If you look at my pictures, I have the procedure. There are a couple more folks who have also done this and have better pics than me. Maybe they'll chime in. You do, however need to get the roof framing plan from Jayco so you know where to cut the hole. My 5er had the framing already in place. All I had to do was cut the hole and there was also a 12V wire there.
Browsed through all your pics. Those are some great ideas and mods. I can't believe I never thought of putting a hook for my spare keys behind the door where my switches and gauges are!

I was planning to tap into the bedroom light for power unless you think it isn't high enough amperage?
Old 03-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntr View Post
Browsed through all your pics. Those are some great ideas and mods. I can't believe I never thought of putting a hook for my spare keys behind the door where my switches and gauges are!

I was planning to tap into the bedroom light for power unless you think it isn't high enough amperage?
I just replaced the fan in my trailer and moved the light switch nearby - they were tied together - the power cable came into the switch and split just before that switch at the light to supply the vent power. I don't know how much stuff you have on the line you will tap into, but if you are doing this mod I assume you have LED's so you should be fine adding the fan to the circuit. Please take a bunch of pictures. I want to add a fan to my front bedroom too. I did swap out the vent with a vent/fan in my bunkhouse and just tapped into the same source as the other fan. I have LED's on the circuit so I only have the 2 fans and one bathroom light.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:

Quote:
I'll give it a try. My past experience had me hesitant, but I guess it's worth a shot. Maybe I'll get a different rep this time.
Night and day experience compared to my last request. I just received the schematics and they sent are great!

They even show a box already framed out for a fan in the bedroom! Also what looks like a spot for a skylight in the kitchen area. Another project!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Night and day experience compared to my last request. I just received the schematics and they sent are great!

They even show a box already framed out for a fan in the bedroom! Also what looks like a spot for a skylight in the kitchen area. Another project!

Thanks for the advice!
Same here - I sent a request yesterday and received the PDF today. I too already have a boxed location for a vent over my front bedroom. If I read it right, every boxed location should already have power run to it.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
Site Team

If you look on your roof on a dew-ey morning, you can see the framing for the vent in the moisture.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
If you look on your roof on a dew-ey morning, you can see the framing for the vent in the moisture.
If the Gilbert, where nunyadamn lives, is in AZ, dewy mornings are as common as intelligence in D.C.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
If the Gilbert, where nunyadamn lives, is in AZ, dewy mornings are as common as intelligence in D.C.
Yes and yes.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #15

Look how nicely it shows up on my 26bh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NC Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Same here - I sent a request yesterday and received the PDF today. I too already have a boxed location for a vent over my front bedroom. If I read it right, every boxed location should already have power run to it.
That's awesome! I only see framing in mine (2016 26BH) What model is yours?
Guntr is offline   Reply With Quote