Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
tedshelleykacie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,576
Our New 100 W Renogy Solar Panel Kit Install

Finally got around to installing our 100 W Solar Panel Kit and tested it out this past 3 day weekend and it worked like a champ!!!!

We did end up buying a new 12 Volt Group 27 Deep Cycle Battery to complete the system since the old battery was over 4 years old.

Now the trailer doesn't have to be plugged in to keep the battery charged and ready for a trip!



__________________
Ted - Shelley - Kacie - 2018 Springdale 2600TB - Sold 5/15/21 - 2006 Ford Expedition

tedshelleykacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Mustang65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL area
Posts: 5,196
NICE JOB!!!!!

It is a GREAT feeling of accomplishment once you watch the display and it shows that the SOLAR is taking care of business for you. Although, you do realize that this is just the beginning... I see more SOLAR in your future.

Again, nice job!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73,Max Tow Pkg.
Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: State of
Posts: 438
Describe the use of your switches please. I was going to connect to the cutoff switch I already have on the hot side of my batteries (that disconnect them from the parasitic drain) but was unsure what the impact would be to the controller if it had no battery to "push" the current to and was still receiving from the panels.

Thanks
__________________
2016 19RD Elite - Thermal
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
tedshelleykacie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
NICE JOB!!!!!

It is a GREAT feeling of accomplishment once you watch the display and it shows that the SOLAR is taking care of business for you. Although, you do realize that this is just the beginning... I see more SOLAR in your future.

Again, nice job!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Thank you and yes but I can only go with an additional 100W panel without upgrading the controller. Plus would have to convince the wife/banker we need more
__________________
Ted - Shelley - Kacie - 2018 Springdale 2600TB - Sold 5/15/21 - 2006 Ford Expedition

tedshelleykacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
tedshelleykacie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
Describe the use of your switches please. I was going to connect to the cutoff switch I already have on the hot side of my batteries (that disconnect them from the parasitic drain) but was unsure what the impact would be to the controller if it had no battery to "push" the current to and was still receiving from the panels.

Thanks
Dave, the disconnect on the left is for the panel to controller and the one on the right is for the battery to controller. The controller instructions state that the battery must be on first before the panel to avoid damaging the controller. The way I have it setup and the family instructions are, if we have to disconnect the battery power, first turn off the panel then turn off the battery. And visa versa for restart, battery on first then solar panel on. I have no battery disconnect switch for the original system because in winter I would pull the battery and set it in the garage until spring.
__________________
Ted - Shelley - Kacie - 2018 Springdale 2600TB - Sold 5/15/21 - 2006 Ford Expedition

tedshelleykacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
Site Team
 
Mustang65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL area
Posts: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedshelleykacie View Post
Dave, the disconnect on the left is for the panel to controller and the one on the right is for the battery to controller. The controller instructions state that the battery must be on first before the panel to avoid damaging the controller. The way I have it setup and the family instructions are, if we have to disconnect the battery power, first turn off the panel then turn off the battery. And visa versa for restart, battery on first then solar panel on. I have no battery disconnect switch for the original system because in winter I would pull the battery and set it in the garage until spring.
When you get a chance place instructions by the switches. It will take any guess work out of the connect/disconnect equation. I used a label maker and put the instructions on the breaker boxes. Even I can understand them.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
SOLAR-BATTERY Center - Maintenance Position.jpg  
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73,Max Tow Pkg.
Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: State of
Posts: 438
OK that makes sense. I'm installing a Renogy system right now and are using fuses very similar to yours. I may end up adding switches too but pulling fuses would work in a pinch.
__________________
2016 19RD Elite - Thermal
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedshelleykacie View Post
Thank you and yes but I can only go with an additional 100W panel without upgrading the controller. Plus would have to convince the wife/banker we need more
I would think that 20 amp controller would be more than up to the task of handling two of those panels. You will likely find that unless you are in the blazing sun of the southwest, with nearly dead batteries, the panel will will only put out about 4-5 amps.
__________________

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 87
Hello,

I am a solar newbie taking delivery of a Jay Flight SLX 175RD in the middle of the month and will be installing a Renogy 200 Watt starter kit with 40a MFFT controller.

I plan on roof mounting 1 100 watt panel primarily to keep my 2 6V 220amp batteries charged between outings and keep the other unmounted and use as a portable when I actually camp without power hookup. The trailer will only have a sidewall solar port and is not prepped for roof mounting.

I am not very handy or mechanically minded but the dealership estimates cost of installing starting at about $600. I was wondering about how long it took to do the install of the panel(s)??
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: State of
Posts: 438
Well, I fabricated my own brackets instead of using the Renogy ones. Just cutting and drilling aluminum. When that was all done, it took me maybe 1.5 hrs to actually "install" the panels; mostly because I'm paranoid :-) I used VHB and have the option to add some Eternabond on top if needed based on the way I built the brackets. The total for running wires etc was another hour or so. Plus I spent a few hours measuring, researching, and wiring up two 6v Interstate golf cart batteries as a replacement for the single stock 12v. Good way to get to know all components intimately. The solar stuff is a hobby in itself :-)

Oh, it's a 200W system; I like your concept of one installed and one on the side but I went ahead and put both on the roof (for now)
__________________
2016 19RD Elite - Thermal
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 87
DaveT,

Did you connect the two panels as series or parallel??
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: State of
Posts: 438
Parallel as I recall - there was only one option per the Renogy wiring connectors lol
__________________
2016 19RD Elite - Thermal
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.