Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #1

Outside Kitchen Mod Eagle 304BHK

Hi All,

We own a 2011 Eagle 304 BHK and enjoy it very much. One of the nice things we like is the outside kitchen and use it as often as we can. One problem we discovered is the sink and faucet that Jayco installs is too small, just a duplicate of the bathroom set-up. I would like to take them out and install a larger sink and higher faucet since the one there doesn't really allow us to even get a reasonable size dish or pot under to fill up or clean. Has anyone been able to do this to their unit. I'm wondering how we would get to the water and drain lines to hook up a new set-up? I figure we could take the draw out on the left under the refrigerator and most likely remove the two stovetop burners by sliding out that unit. Is there a way to remove the middle panel without breaking through the unit. I believe this would provide an easier access to disconnect the lines and add a new sink and faucet. Since I don't have a picture of the kitchen, I found one on the web and am inserting it below. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. If this has already been posted to an older thread please let me know

Click image for larger version

Name:	outsideKitchen1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	8099

Greg
2011 Jayco Eagle 304BHK
2006 Jayco Select 12HW Pop Up
2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison, L5P
DelawareEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #2

There's no way to access it from inside the camper?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #3

Not that we can figure out. The inside, or back wall of the kitchen, is a closet, ladder for the bunk which is above the kitchen, and shelves for clothing and storage. It is finished.

Greg
2011 Jayco Eagle 304BHK
Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #4

What about that panel on the front under the sink? I would think it would pop out, either held in by a couple screws or finish nails. Just a thought.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #5

FYI I have the same kitchen as in the picture above but be advised the sink drains in to the BLACK TANK. So I would not recommend do a lot of dishes outside. Twice already the black tank got so filled it started to come out of the sink since it’s the lowest open whole in the system. I only use the sink for a quick rinse. Kinda of stinks. I need to find a way to change the drain so it goes in to the grey tank or just drains to the ground, but not that handy yet.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #6

Interesting... I didn't think Jayco would have a grey water drain that went into the black tank. Thanks for the info I will take that under advisement and maybe just try to change out the faucet but leave the sink alone. I still need to get into the underside area to reach the connections and just wondering if anyone has any idea of how to access that section.

Greg
2011 Jayco Eagle 304BHK
Old 05-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #7

I have popped out a number of panels on my HTT, and probably removed 400+ staples. Sometimes they come really easily and sometimes not so easily. Jayco’s employees love staples. Once you get the staple moving they come out fairly easily. On a panel like the one shown, I would recommend using a small rubber mallet. I would tap the edge of the panel from the outside (what you can see), close to the wood frame, going really slowly. The panel is just under an 1/8” thick. It is not uncommon for a panel of that size to have a few staples the pull through the panel. If you go slowly that is the worst case scenario, and you will never see it if you go slow. DO NOT USE A PRY BAR, as I find that causes the panel to split. If you can get your hand behind the panel once you have it started. Reach in behind the panel with a needle nose pliers. Open the pliers and shove one jaw in between the staple. Then roll the pliers towards the other jaw, and the staple just pops out.

My recommendation is try it on one of the false panels inside the TT. There usually are a few you can remove easily. Usually there is one under the stove to “protect” the gas hose. But there usually are a few others you can remove to try on first.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Jagiven;134716]I have popped out a number of panels on my HTT, and probably removed 400+ staples. Sometimes they come really easily and sometimes not so easily. Jayco’s employees love staples......./QUOTE]

My brother bought a house a few years ago. The previous owner had installed carpet over the hardwood floors upstairs. I was ripping up the carpet in a bedroom closet that was just a single door, not a walk in. I must have pulled up over 100 staples in the closet alone! lol

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #9

I would remove the drawer that the stove sits on. You pull up a small lever on one side and push down on the other to get the drawer off. You might be able to reach the connections for the sink and faucet. If you can't reach it, pop off the panel under the sink. That should come off pretty easy. Then your good to go.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #10

Okay, two months later but the mod is completed. Actually it was relatively easy, a bit of a contortionist with arms but we were able to change the faucet easily. As you can see from the picture it even looks nice. We took out the draw to the left and the stove top on the right side of the outside kitchen. Easy to come out. Then we discovered that the sink needed to be removed. There were plastic tabs on the sides and front part of the sink that were screwed in to hold it down to the countertop. Once we unscrewed them it was a matter of disconnecting the water and drain lines. Then the sink slides out. Jayco has two plastic tabs in the back that hold the rear part of the sink to the counter top so we had to sort of slide it forward and lift at the same time. Also the sealant, or adhesive they use around the edge of the sink had to be cleaned out. We used a utility knife to cut it. Be careful not to cut down onto the counter top but instead cut in to the seal. Once we removed the sink it was a simple process of unscrewing the faucet then getting the new one. As you can see I chose to visit my local Home Depot and was looking for an inexpensive replacement. That was difficult as most of the inexpensive ones were all in the $40 range. So we did find the Delta model you see installed. It was $49. We also looked at Lowes and they had a comparable style in the 4 inch size for the same price, made by Pfister. The reinstallation was relatively easy. Instead of tightening up the faucet to the sink we placed it on loose then had to hand tighten it once it was installed. We learned that the tabs on the back that will hold the sink in place at the rear need the room to get in under the countertop, then have to be tightened. After that we placed the calking under the sink, I used plumbers putty, and we reinstalled the sink in the hole. Another trick is you might have to install the water lines before you tighten up the faucet to the sink and counter top. I believe the Delta connections to the water line are just a bit longer than the original plastic ones so we couldn't get them to connect, it felt as if the water lines were too long/tall. After taking it apart again and loosening it up we were able to raise the sink enough to get the water lines back in place. After that it did get simpler and we just tightened up all the connections and screws. It looks great and adds a fair amount of functionality to that outside kitchen. I can actually get a pot or dish underneath to add water or clean something up.

We did not pop out that front panel as I was concerned about trying to staple it back in place when we were done with the sink/faucet. It was not too bad, once we were able to understand how Jayco put it together it was easy to take apart and reinstall by going through the two sides where the draw and stove top slide in and out.

Next trip I will try to see where exactly that sink drains. An earlier poster shared his kitchen drained into the black tank so maybe Jayco just made an error when connecting that or they all do the same. I'm going to try that by running the water in that sink and checking my tanks to see which is filling up. If it is the black tank then that raises a whole new set of questions and ideas on how to reroute that drain. That's for another mod.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I hope this helps anyone who wants to try it on their rig. I'm so happy with how it worked out I am going to do the bathroom sink next.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1617.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	9315

Greg
2011 Jayco Eagle 304BHK
Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #11

Just a follow up to the above note. I wanted to test where my sink drained and we ran the water to watch the tanks fill and it runs into my grey tank which is a relief. Thanks to Jcatone for letting me know that might be an issue.

Greg
2011 Jayco Eagle 304BHK
Old 08-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #12

Excellent mod!!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #13

Thanks. We were so pleased with how it turned out we did the same thing to the bathroom sink. It too was the small plastic one that Jayco puts on and even though we won't be running any pots or pans under it, the extra room does make it a bit more pleasant to wash up.

Greg
2011 Jayco Eagle 304BHK