Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #1

Outside shower Mod

I'm never going to take a shower outside my TT. But I do like to rinse off my hands or boots and fill/rinse my coffee pot outside. So I removed the shower head and attached a 1/4 to 1/2 inch adapter and added a sink sprayer (with another 4 feet of hose) to it. Now I have something more useful out back to rinse with. Plus you could shower off if you wanted to.

http://amzn.to/2aUVJb2

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

Curious: What makes this significantly better than the equipment that's already there?

We use that faucet all the time for various things from rinsing off equipment, rinsing off the dog, and I keep soap in the compartment with my hoses and such so I can always wash my hands after various "chores" back there. It works great just as it is IMO.

I've even pondered some kind of curtain to affix to the roof ladder so I could actually shower back there if I ever wanted! LOL!! DW says "nope".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #3

Much easier (for me at least) to pull the trigger and release as opposed to pushing the little button back and forth to turn it on and off. That and the spray is smaller (more condensed) and more powerful than the shower head was. Whenever I would try and rinse out the coffee pot or wash off my boots I was always spraying more area than I wanted.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
Site Team

See post #96 in this thread. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...box-25819.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #5

Can you fit that full size garden sprayer in the little box? I know I couldn't but, I could put a quick disconnect on the end of the hose and the sprayer! I like it!

Old 08-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosenuts View Post
Can you fit that full size garden sprayer in the little box? I know I couldn't but, I could put a quick disconnect on the end of the hose and the sprayer! I like it!
I leave the sprayer connected and push the hose in the hole but I have a larger utility closet. I add a short hose to the mix when I'm cleaning dogs and grills. The HOT water makes both easy.

I also use it when packing to connect into the black tank sprayer. The hot water left in the wh helps loosen the crud on the black tank.

edit: note- Its kind of discerning texting with a guy with the handle Loosenuts.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #7

I have adding the sprayer on my to do list. Just haven't gotten there yet.

Main reason is because the outdoor shower heads on/off didn't work for crap on ours. And the water was barely a drizzle out if the shower head. So I removed the on/off internals and it does spray better. But I would like an on/off of some sort.

Great mod!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #8

We purchased a portable shelter from Cabelas and placed it beside the outside sprayer. Works great!!! Makes a good changing room if need be, and if you're really roughing you could place a commode in it. It's very roomy!
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie t View Post
We purchased a portable shelter from Cabelas and placed it beside the outside sprayer. Works great!!! Makes a good changing room if need be, and if you're really roughing you could place a commode in it. It's very roomy!
x2. We've got the following one we use - and the wife is the one who always wants to take it and use the outside shower.

When we don't have the shower hooked up, I have a Lewis and Clark portable kitchen and we hook up the sink to the shower outlet. And the sink has...the very same sink sprayer that Loosenuts showed us in his initial post.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
I have adding the sprayer on my to do list. Just haven't gotten there yet.

Main reason is because the outdoor shower heads on/off didn't work for crap on ours. And the water was barely a drizzle out if the shower head. So I removed the on/off internals and it does spray better. But I would like an on/off of some sort.

Great mod!!!
That was pretty much what drove me to do this.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

We have been using the Wall-Up for the last 4 years (before it was even available at Walmart) and it is quite sturdy and works great for outdoor showering. Once you have a morning shower under the trees, you'll never use the indoor shower again !

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-WallU...x-144/43298551

Has anybody found a quick-connect for outdoor shower use ? The angle makes it a pain to tighten sufficiently to waterproof and untighten and the plastic spigot on the outdoor shower is not going to hold up to constant tightening and removing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Curious: What makes this significantly better than the equipment that's already there?

We use that faucet all the time for various things from rinsing off equipment, rinsing off the dog, and I keep soap in the compartment with my hoses and such so I can always wash my hands after various "chores" back there. It works great just as it is IMO.

I've even pondered some kind of curtain to affix to the roof ladder so I could actually shower back there if I ever wanted! LOL!! DW says "nope".
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #12

I guess after tent camping for so many years the thought of taking a shower outside just does not appeal to me at all anymore. One of the reasons we bought the 28RLS was the bathroom. It's nice and roomy and the shower is more than big enough for me. I like to take a nice hot shower just before going to bed. I certainly don't want to take it with the bugs and critters crawling around the back of my trailer at night. Nope, it's indoors for me. And then this leads into the whole dumping your grey water at your campsite conversation. If you are showering outdoors, you are certainly (ok most likely) dumping your soapy grey on the ground.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Has anybody found a quick-connect for outdoor shower use ? The angle makes it a pain to tighten sufficiently to waterproof and untighten and the plastic spigot on the outdoor shower is not going to hold up to constant tightening and removing.
Not quite sure what you are referring to here.
We bought one of these stainless steel flexible shower hoses that we keep hooked up permanently to our outdoor shower fixture. It simply wraps around the hot and cold faucets and stays right in the box that encloses the fixture on the trailer. It is plenty long to extend into the shower tent, but still fits in the box so we can close up the shower box door when travelling.

We do detatch the shower head itself, but since the hose fixture is steel, no stripping. (The shower head itself is a good quality plastic).

Exquisite Flexible Shower Hose, Stainless Steel - Walmart.com

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm never going to take a shower outside my TT. But I do like to rinse off my hands or boots and fill/rinse my coffee pot outside. So I removed the shower head and attached a 1/4 to 1/2 inch adapter and added a sink sprayer (with another 4 feet of hose) to it. Now I have something more useful out back to rinse with. Plus you could shower off if you wanted to.

http://amzn.to/2aUVJb2
Does that hose fit in the shower compartment? I like the looks for that.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Does that hose fit in the shower compartment? I like the looks for that.
Yes, it fits, along with the original hose it's attached to, a water pressure gauge, water pressure regulator and a 90 degree fitting. It all fits in there (albeit very tightly). But it all fits in there easily without the those additional items (Those items are not part of the shower, I just like to keep them back there near the water hookup).

Old 08-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #16

Quote:
I guess after tent camping for so many years the thought of taking a shower outside just does not appeal to me at all anymore. One of the reasons we bought the 28RLS was the bathroom. It's nice and roomy and the shower is more than big enough for me. I like to take a nice hot shower just before going to bed. I certainly don't want to take it with the bugs and critters crawling around the back of my trailer at night. Nope, it's indoors for me. And then this leads into the whole dumping your grey water at your campsite conversation. If you are showering outdoors, you are certainly (ok most likely) dumping your soapy grey on the ground.
I've never given the grey water issue any thought until now. We use biodegradable soap (Dr Bronners)

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone ever gotten in 'trouble' for this?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #17

Quote:
(Those items are not part of the shower, I just like to keep them back there near the water hookup).
I like that idea... thanks.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #18

And I do not mean to call out anyone on the grey water thing, I do a little dishwashing out behind the trailer (one of the reasons for this mod) myself. I guess a lot would depend on where you are and how things are done there.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #19

I'm thinking of getting one of these
Portable Outdoor Sinks / Handy Sink / Handy Sink - DW Inc.

Moderator note: This link is no longer working.
C4DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #20
Kmo

I looked at # 96 post thats exactly what I was trying to do only I was going to use one of those curly hoses but I think I will try this first, excellent idea. Thanks.
Kmo is offline   Reply With Quote