Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #1

Overhead shelf storage ideas?

Hi, everyone. We recently bought an X23F hybrid TT that has several overhead shelves above the beds. There is no lip on the bottom to hold items in, and I'm concerned about stuff falling out. How have you all solved that issue? Spring loaded curtain rods across the front? Cup hooks on each end with bungee cords? Any ideas?
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #2

Mayhap you could run a galley rail around the edges of the shelves. for example:

Omega National Products Spindle Rail With Lip 8' Oak - Wood Moldings And Trims - Amazon.com
Old 01-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #3

I hate those little shelves. I wish Jayco would put three to four doors on that cabinet. Nothing will stay in them unless you find a way to secure them. The one in back we only shove pillows in them while traveling, when camping the kids might place something on the shelf. The front one, my DW puts stuff in/on that OH unit. She made Quillows (a blanket the folds up into a small pillow) for the HTT. When we travel we shove them into the openings and nothing slides out.

Good luck, if you find a good solution please share.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #4

I have those same shelves. I found some small baskets that slid in there perfectly, but of course they will fall out while traveling. I have not done it yet, but I was thinking about installing eyelets or maybe even drilling a small hole on the edges so I could create a simple thin bungee cord that could stretch horizontally over the opening to keep the baskets from falling out.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #5

I don't have photos so I apologize. Maybe I can get in the trailer over the weekend and get a few shots. But here's what I came up with on our old hybrid and still do the same on our X20E.

There is a little slot where shelf meets the trim. I cut 3.5" high pieces of paneling about 1" wider than the width of the opening. I then mounted 4 Z shaped retainers with a small screw. I simply insert the paneling into that slot and slide the retainers over the top corners of the paneling. I take them out when camping so we have full access.

We keep maps, books, DVDs, and other things in these overhead bins.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

Those are all good ideas. Keep them coming, if you have any others. We haven't taken possession of our hybrid yet, so will drive out today to visualize and measure. I haven't a creative bone in my body, but will steal any idea that works!
Old 01-22-2016, 11:32 PM   #7

I'm not familiar with the model of trailer or the shelves in question, but how about a mini cargo net, sort of like this one found on Amazon:

Highland 95010 Bulkhead or Trunk Storage Net

I don't imagine it would be too hard to modify it to suit your purposes. Use stick-on hooks to hold it in place when it's needed, and remove it and shove it into a corner when it's not. Just a thought.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsims View Post
I have those same shelves. I found some small baskets that slid in there perfectly, but of course they will fall out while traveling. I have not done it yet, but I was thinking about installing eyelets or maybe even drilling a small hole on the edges so I could create a simple thin bungee cord that could stretch horizontally over the opening to keep the baskets from falling out.
We use baskets as well and then I shove a beach towel in to secure them

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
Site Team

We had s similar problem in our medicine cabinet. I cut a 1 1/2 inch piece of clear plexiglass and put it inside the cabinet to keep stuff from falling out. The width is just a little wider than the cabinet front opening.

It is easily removed when we are not moving.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #10

OK, here's my solution for now. I found spring loaded curtain rods at Target for $3.49 for 11-26" long. They will fit in 4 of the shelves. The other 2 shelves I will buy rods that expand to 36" - I think they were $6 each. The plastic dollar store baskets fit great in the shelves, and hold lots of little items. We will travel with the rods installed, and take them out while camping. Thank you for all your ideas. If this doesn't work, I haven't lost much money, and will be trying your other ideas.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
Old 02-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #11

Post a few pictures. And let us know how it works.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
overhead storage, shelves