Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #1

Propane tank tie down options?

On our x17z, the propane is bolted down. Not sure if this is common or if other options exist but it's a pain to take off and put back during refills as you pretty much have to stand on your head to get at the nut/bolts. Plus you have to drop the spare tire to get at it.

Any other options? At this point, I don't see the tank going back on after the next fill up... I'll just put in the back of the TV and sit it on the ground while using the TT.
dddire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #2

I'd rather stick with the bolts for peace of mind but how about those quick disconnect pins (sold at Lowes or HomeDepot)? Not sure how secure they will hold the tank with the vibrations etc going down the road. You could also fab up some sort of bracket to raise your tank enough to where it wont be so difficult to remove the bolts.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

It was a bit off a pain to take off but wasn't a horrible experience. I had a closed end wrench on one side and an adjustable on the other.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #4

Since the recent thiefs are occurring around here for Batteries and Propane Tanks I went ahead and drilled a hole down thru the twist off level in the center of the two propane tanks. Then I installed one of those long locks through the twist handle and propane frame.

Just something to slow them down abit and make some cusing noises maybe...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #5

^ yep... if someone wants something bad enough they will take it but no reason to make it easy for them.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #6

This is how my two propane tanks are setup on my POPUP trailer.... Just remove the twist screw bar nut and remove the metal hold down bracket and both tanks will lift right out after you unscrew the hose connection..

I was thinking they all followed this mounting scheme - guess not.... I can remove mine is less than a couple of minutes... The hardest thing to do is kill off all the wasps that love the smell of propane I guess. I always find a nest under the cover...

This photo also shows the lock mod I did in the previous post here. I run a long lock down a hole I drilled in the twist handle and the frame under it. Have to remove the lock before you can twist the handle...

photo from google images

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #7

I had a similiar problem with my tanks since new.My Equalizer hitch had a conflict with the location of the 2 tanks,so I neede to move the tanks further up toward hitch.Didnt know that the system Roy Braddy has was in production ,and I actually built something similiar.The base was made from a piece of alum.scrap.Then I found 2 peferct fit alum cake pans at the local dollar store.NOT the throw away type.I used mounting holes that were already on the Trailer(lucky I guess,but you can drill 2 holes if need be.Secured the base,then attached the alum.cake pans,with self tapping screws,these hold the tanks from sliding,I drilled drain holes as well/I used an angle iron for the top with slots located to accept the tank,as previous post would show.I used a piece of 1/4 20 all thread ,GAVANIZED,which was found in homedepot.Cut it long enough to do the job that Roys photo would show better than I can explain.Differance in mine ,is,the angle iron was inverted,I bought a spring dropped it over the holding end ,thena washer and a standard nut ,followed by a lock nut.I just wanted ins.from backing itself out.Tighted it down enough to completely compress the spring and 1/4 turn more.I hope I explained it OK,but again ,between my post and Roys,should anyone need to ,surely you'll get er done
mikesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #8

I am planning on installing a 48-inch battery box like this one shown and this will require my two propane tanks to moved forward a couple of inches. I have already looked at how these tanks are mounted and will not be a problem with moving the propane tanks forward with the mounting or with the flex hose arrangement...

Theft around here is really becoming a problem and you hear about folks losing their batteries and propane tanks almost everyday now it seems. My propane tanks have a flimsy fabric cover of them but my batteries are only protected by the plastic standard battery covers.

I know you cant stop the theft altogether but at least make them work at it harder I guess... I already have motion detector lights that come on where my trailer is parked.

I am going to end up with something lockable like this for my battery bank...