Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #1

Rearview camera installed

Even though I have mirror extensions and can clearly see down the road on both sides of my trailer, I almost got clipped by a little sports car that came up behind me and then decided to go around me just as I started to change lanes. This experience prompted me to research my options for a rearview camera setup.
I have completed the installation.

My system consists of the following components. I've included links to the products mentioned;

I purchased the camera from RearView Safety, model RVS-770. It is very good quality and I needed it to be as weatherproof as possible.

This camera requires a control unit or multiplexor, model RVS-500, which I purchased from the same supplier.

The camera is mounted on the back of my camper just below the middle running light. It is hardwired to the multiplexor which is mounted in the front pass-thru storage area where it is powered from a side running light. I routed the wiring through conduit across the back and down the side of the camper where it runs underneath to the storage area.

The camera system is connected to the tow vehicle through a wireless transmitter/receiver. This product is made by SecurityMan, model SM-401, which I purchased from Amazon.

The wireless transmitter is connected to the output from the multiplexor in the storage compartment and the wireless receiver is mounted in the tow vehicle center console where it plugs into the A/V connection of a 7-inch monitor.

The monitor is from a Peak Safety View Back-Up Camera system that I bought last year from Amazon. Unfortunately this product is no longer available when I checked, but any monitor with an A/V input should work.

Here are the pics:

Happy camping and safe travels!
Beau (Hound mix)
----------------------------
2015 Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
JayRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #2

Finally, here is a photo of what I see in the monitor as I travel down the interstate. It takes the fear out of lane changes for me

Happy camping and safe travels.
Beau (Hound mix)
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #3

This is a fine looking modification and it clearly gives you great video of whatever is behind your trailer. I can see it being beneficial when backing into a campsite, too. What was the total cost of all the components, do you have to be fairly knowlegable about electricity and electronics to install it, and how many man hours did it take to install?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #4

That is an awesome setup! Curious what the view looks like at night... still the same great view at night??

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #5

Amazing... I like this!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:19 AM   #6

My Father-in-law just installed one of these little gadgets on his SMART car. Now I know...you wouldn't think it'd be needed, but he's challenged turning his head to see behind so this was his solution. As soon as I saw it I wanted one for the trailer and have been planning the install for a couple months now. My biggest challenge was figuring out how to wire the thing in without poking holes through the fibreglass - yours is an excellent solution that keeps things secure, neat & tidy!

I think I'm going to copy what you've done with one exception - I'll channel the cable straight down the centre along the back wall & also look into installing a third, high brake light.

Now that I have plans, lets see if I can find the time! Thanks for sharing!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sam View Post
This is a fine looking modification and it clearly gives you great video of whatever is behind your trailer. I can see it being beneficial when backing into a campsite, too. What was the total cost of all the components, do you have to be fairly knowlegable about electricity and electronics to install it, and how many man hours did it take to install?
The camera was $100, the multiplexor was $40, the SecurityMan transmitter/receiver is currently $63 at Amazon (I paid $75), and a monitor is about $70 - $100 depending on what you want. I'm actually thinking about upgrading mine to a monitor built into the rearview mirror like this one. Then there was about $10 for assorted parts from Radio Shack and $20 for the conduit from Lowe's Home Center. I figure I have about $350 invested which is way less than my deductible on my insurance. You need a basic knowledge of DC electricity, how to splice wires making sure you get the GND to GND and +12VDC to +12VDC, etc. I have more details on the wiring for the multiplexor but didn't want to bore everyone with the details. Let me know if you need that level of detail and I can post it. As far as man hours, I didn't keep track of the actual hours, but once I worked out how all the parts fit together, I had it all done in a weekend and Sunday was really just finishing touches and buttoning it up.

As far as it being useful for backing into a site, I have to give it a qualified "maybe". With a 130 degree angle of view, things at the edges get a little distorted and it really takes some getting used to.
Beau (Hound mix)
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondopatrick View Post
That is an awesome setup! Curious what the view looks like at night... still the same great view at night??
At night when you look into the monitor it looks like day except its all black-and-white and some things have an eerie glow like headlights and people or animals. Our very first time out with this mod we got to the campground late. It was pitch black out and we had a back in site. My DW stood behind the camper and directed me in and I could see her signals clearly in the monitor. The only thing was she looked like a ghost; think of what a shadow looks like on a film negative
Beau (Hound mix)
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Old 07-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonk View Post
My Father-in-law just installed one of these little gadgets on his SMART car. Now I know...you wouldn't think it'd be needed, but he's challenged turning his head to see behind so this was his solution. As soon as I saw it I wanted one for the trailer and have been planning the install for a couple months now. My biggest challenge was figuring out how to wire the thing in without poking holes through the fibreglass - yours is an excellent solution that keeps things secure, neat & tidy!

I think I'm going to copy what you've done with one exception - I'll channel the cable straight down the centre along the back wall & also look into installing a third, high brake light.

Now that I have plans, lets see if I can find the time! Thanks for sharing!
Good luck with your mod and let me know if you have any more questions. I'd be glad to help out.

BTW, I would have gone straight down with the conduit also but the DW didn't want me to mess up the Jay Feather decal

I had to go around the corner because I have raised molding around the tail lights that I needed to avoid.

Hmmm... I like the idea of the third, high brake light. You can copy my idea and I'll copy yours (haha).
Beau (Hound mix)
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #10

I'm really not much of a electronic geek, but my new truck has the back-up camera that displays on my Nav screen. I wonder if there would be a way to integrate a back-up camera on my 5th wheel and wirelessly (is that a word?) to my truck.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #11

Awesome mod .... I'm sure that system will be very useful in many ways !
Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #12

Hi Albertaguy,
I would assume your trucks backup camera is a hardwire (not wireless) installation to your Nav screen if it was a factory install. The only way to get a camera from the back of your 5'er to display on your Nav screen would be if there were an A/V input plug (Audio/Video). Probably not, as watching dvd movies on the Nav screen while driving is a bad idea

I'm sure there are others smarter than I am that have probably done this mod. My motto for my updates and upgrades is to keep it simple. Good luck.
Beau (Hound mix)
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Old 08-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Awesome mod .... I'm sure that system will be very useful in many ways !
Thanks for your comments ByDesign. So far it is working out really good!
Beau (Hound mix)
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Old 08-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRidge View Post
Hi Albertaguy,
I would assume your trucks backup camera is a hardwire (not wireless) installation to your Nav screen if it was a factory install. The only way to get a camera from the back of your 5'er to display on your Nav screen would be if there were an A/V input plug (Audio/Video). Probably not, as watching dvd movies on the Nav screen while driving is a bad idea

I'm sure there are others smarter than I am that have probably done this mod. My motto for my updates and upgrades is to keep it simple. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. I do have the A/V plugs but have never used the rear DVD player or watched a movie on the front Nav screen, although I do recall that this is possible as long as vehicle is stopped, so don't know if a retrofit would work. I will probably stop and talk to one of the geeks at the local electronic store. I do like the idea of having the rear camera not only for driving but also when backing.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #15

JayRidge,

What did you use for the conduit and how is it attached to the trailer body?

Regards,
Jim
obrienj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #16

Hi Jim,
I used a product that I found while wandering around the electrical department of my local Lowes Home Improvement store. A link to a description can be found here.

Its made from PVC with a self adhesive backing. I also pre-drilled and used 1/2-inch screws, 3 for each 5-foot section, just because I thought it would be more secure, although I wasn't really keen on putting holes into the skin. Actually, the short section in the back on top wasn't screwed in at all and hasn't come loose yet. We put on about 5,000 miles last year and the conduit is still as secure as the day I applied it.

One thing to keep in mind if you use this type of solution; When you have a straight run longer than 5-feet and you need to butt two pieces together, make sure the seams for the track and the cover are staggered.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Beau (Hound mix)
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Old 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #17

JayRidge,

Thanks, that helps alot.

I assume that your camera came with a mount, my next problem is to fabricate a mount for a camera meant to fit in a 1" hole which I refuse to drill into the skin.

Anyway, a tour of Lowes might show something that I can use.

I will be using an RF transmitter/receiver to send the signal to my TV. Darn thing takes 6V and do you think I can find a 12V-6V adapter. Sounds like more Google time.

Regards,
Jim
obrienj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #18

The transmitter/receiver that I referenced in my earlier post (made by SecurityMan) came with an AC adapter to provide an 8v input to the receiver, but the transmitter requires a 12v input. I tried to fabricate a voltage divider from parts I bought at Radio Shack with mixed results. I was able to get 8v, but not enough power to light up the receiver. Out of frustration I just plugged the 12v into it and it works like a charm. I used it all last summer with no ill effects, but applying 12v to a 6v requirement may be a bit much.

If your receiver does have an AC adapter maybe a small inverter would be the easiest, for example something like this from Sears.

Good luck and let me know how you make out with your project.

Regards,
Tim
Beau (Hound mix)
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Old 02-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #19

That is a very nice upgrade.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #20

I'm new here and I give up - what's a DW?
llerberg is offline   Reply With Quote