Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2021, 06:50 AM   #1

Lightbulb Renogy 500 amp battery monitor with shunt

One of three Christmas week mods.

I added a Renogy battery monitor to the travel trailer to keep an eye on the battery charge, discharge, and remaining capacity.

As we like to dry camp/boondock a good bit in US Forest Service land, it was a much needed accessory. Come Spring 2022, I'll add an inverter with some dedicated 120 volt outlets to power "the essentials".

Mounted a metal weather-resistant electrical box to the TT frame. Painted the screw holes with Rustoleum before sealing it shut to keep the rust down. I mounted the box near the batteries, for obvious reasons, but kept it on the inside of the "V" so that the frame will help protect the enclosure from road debris. Also makes for a cleaner "out of sight" look.

I had to custom build a control wire from the shunt to the display panel using low-voltage CCTV control wire because the factory wire was only 20 feet long. I needed about 30 feet. Strip, splice, solder, shrink tube, and done.

The control wire was pulled partially through the underbelly then exposed and ran along the frame. Post about underbelly access is here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lly-92263.html

I might have bent the battery-side copper lug a little too much and I noticed some stress cracks on the lug. I will take it apart this week and replace the lug with a thicker end and heat-bend the lug.

The control unit is mounted on the wall near the factory GoPower solar controller. I figured that was an appropriate spot for it - trying to keep all "power" related items in one spot. I will mount the control switch for the inverted in this same place.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo-2021-12-22-15-44-41_5668.jpg   Photo-2021-12-22-15-44-43_5669.jpg   Photo-2021-12-22-15-45-09_5671.jpg   Photo-2021-12-22-15-51-13_5672.jpg   Photo-2021-12-21-14-00-58_5665.jpg  

Photo-2021-12-22-16-17-38_5677.jpg   Photo-2021-12-22-16-17-42_5678.jpg   Photo-2021-12-22-16-17-54_5679.jpg  
gobdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:44 AM   #2

Nice!

I did something similar. I removed the external lead-acid batteries and replaced them with LiFePO4 batteries. Twice the electrical capacity and 10+ years of useful life. I added a battery monitor which uses my smartphone as the monitor.

HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #3

When you're ready to add the inverter, let me know. I'll show you a method to properly and relatively easily install the inverter to work with your existing power panel to power all the existing outlets and 120 VAC circuits. (I'm an electrical engineer).

Do not use Jayco's included inverter installation wire, that only powers the TV outlet which is stupid. To be truly useful, the inverter should power all the outlets and the entire RV's 120VAC circuits. Of course, you need to remain within the power capacity of the inverter you select. Many inverters cannot handle the air conditioner for example. But, with prudent use, you can use a well-made inverter to power most of the trailer's 120VAC circuits for a decent length of time.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #4

I think our next big upgrade post inverter will be the batteries. Considering BattleBorn based on reviews but the LiPo/Lithium world is all new to me. We winter camp quite a bit and read about the need to keep them warm below 32F.

Do you have any resources I should reference?
gobdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobdeep View Post
I think our next big upgrade post inverter will be the batteries. Considering BattleBorn based on reviews but the LiPo/Lithium world is all new to me. We winter camp quite a bit and read about the need to keep them warm below 32F.

Do you have any resources I should reference?
The BattleBorn Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries batteries are the best, but they're also the most expensive. The SOK batteries I referenced are widely considered to be as good or virtually as good in quality but cost considerably less and, unlike the sealed BattleBorns, they're fully serviceable. They're from a highly trusted source and backed by a seven-year warranty. I own two. The LiFePO4 online community consensus is that SOK batteries are the best in quality vs price.

The Solar and LiFePO4 battery online guru is Will Prowse. He's made a living building and testing this equipment and is widely considered the go-to guy for this. He's written a book, has a very active YouTube channel, and website, and sponsors one of the best online forums. You'll find a wealth of information from his work.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobdeep View Post
... We winter camp quite a bit and read about the need to keep them warm below 32F...
Most LiFePO4 batteries should never be charged below 32F but they can be used and stored at well below freezing temperatures.

I moved the battery location from the trailer tongue to inside the trailer where the batteries can stay warm. Under the bed is a popular location. Unlike lead-acid batteries, LiFePO4's can be safely stored indoors as they give off no fumes. Modern LiFePO4's have an internal battery monitoring system (BMS) which does not permit charging below 32F and ensures the safety of the battery cells.

For outside use in cold weather, some have internal heaters or external heaters that can be easily added. These keep the battery at just above 32F when charging.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:32 PM   #7

Good Job,, Looks nice.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24bh, battery monitor, renogy