Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #1

Replace Non Vented Bathroom Ceiling Vent

2015 Jayco 195RB. I believe my ceiling vents are Dexter Ventlines, based on observations of a few YouTube videos. I would like to add a powered fan to the vent in the bathroom. We take a lot of showers and I just want to remove some of the moisture.

First of all, I will only consider a retrofit. I will not remove the existing outside hardware, nor disturb the roof. Thus I need one to fit the existing vent.

Looks like a V2094 Ventadome will do the job. My question is....would it be worthwhile? I have read a few negative comments about the efficiency of this OEM unit. I do have a Camco roof topper on the vent, if that makes any difference.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #2

From looking at the image of a V2094 Ventadome that I found on the Ventline site, it look like installing that would require removing your existing vent, which you did not want to do. Or am I looking at it wrong? Here is the image I looked at: http://www.ventline.com/inc/sdetail/31381/31408.

By the way, I've had a "vent" with a fan that size, and it really does next to nothing.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #3

I did something similar with a fantastic fan, bought a new power fan and just took the parts I needed and installed in the static fan opening without removing anything on the roof., it was cheaper than buying separate parts. Amazon sells the following for $28, its the complete power fan, https://www.amazon.com/Ventline-V209.../dp/B00407FUU4. Just remember this is a low RPM fan that doesn't move to many CFM, if I had to do it again I would not bother for the little air it moves.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
From looking at the image of a V2094 Ventadome that I found on the Ventline site, it look like installing that would require removing your existing vent, which you did not want to do. Or am I looking at it wrong? Here is the image I looked at: http://www.ventline.com/inc/sdetail/31381/31408.

By the way, I've had a "vent" with a fan that size, and it really does next to nothing.
I believe its the same roof vent, except with a fan. I would just remove the fan from the new one and install it on the existing one. The bracket is already pre-drilled.

"Next to nothing" is what I was afraid of, hence the reason for my post.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

You might check out Heng Vortex units - they are designed to fit in the existing standard vent. No messing with anything on the roof. If the existing vent is not powered then you'll need to get power from an existing light close by.

https://www.amazon.com/Roof-Vent-Vor.../dp/B00APSSPEA
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #6

I put in the Heng vortex fan and like it. No experience with other brands but it does the job on steamy shower humidity. On low it is quiet enough to sleep with the small artificial breeze.

Fishing the 12 Volt and figuring out how to do it took way more time then actually installing it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #7

I guess I'll give the Heng a try.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:47 AM   #8

Another Vortex 2 conversion - easy installation!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I'm about to replace my OEM bathroom fan with something like a Fantastic Fan. For me, it's more about blowing off the excess moisture during showers and white noise for potty time. If that's hard to relate to, imagine being in a library where it's dead quiet and using the potty.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
I'm about to replace my OEM bathroom fan with something like a Fantastic Fan. For me, it's more about blowing off the excess moisture during showers and white noise for potty time. If that's hard to relate to, imagine being in a library where it's dead quiet and using the potty.
With that fan it will still sound like you are in a library, they make very little noise and even less air movement.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
The half bath in my home is adjacent to the kitchen. During family gatherings sounds are quite evident.

Grandma passes gas every time she gets in or out of the car - its her age.

Great Grandma's walking farts alerts everyone that she is even in the neighborhood.

Some things are just natural. I WON'T soundproof my half bath and I WON'T install a fan that causes a worse noise than nature.

My gosh man, you're camping. This is supposed to be a way to get away from the hassles of the big city. Relax!
Old 01-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #12

Go talk to a RV dealer parts department. One time on my old hybrid I needed a new vent cover, and I couldn't find one with the right hinge style. So off to the dealer. They sold me not only the cover, but the entire non-powered vent -- frame, crank, screen, everything -- for next to nothing. The guy there said they have a pile of those in the back that they don't need, because (at the time many years ago) air conditioners were optional and people kept wanting to install them. So the vent had to come out and they really had no use for them.

So you never know. If you're okay with a used part, ask your dealer if they have any. Then spend an afternoon installing it yourself.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote