Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #1

Replaced Tank Monitoring System

I have been extremely dissatisfied with the tank monitoring system Jayco installed in my Alante, with the read out being in thirds, and the black showing full after two uses, and the grey level bouncing around I was finally done with it. Ripped it out and replaced it with a SeeLevel II system from Garnet. This system uses sensor strips that stick to the OUTSIDE of the tank, so not fouling the sensor. I didn't even have to run new wires as I was able to re-purpose the ones from the OEM junk. The fresh tank was easy to access, the grey required me to remove the left side duel's for access, and the black was the hardest, that one I had to get creative to apply the sensor strip, but with a ruler and double backed tape I managed it. I also added a Rochester snap on meter with sensor to the Propane tank so the system cam monitor the LPG level. As long as you can access a clear side of your tanks the install is straight forward. The panel reads out in percentage of fluid in the tank, after cutting the strips to size and snipping the tab for grey, black, or leaving it for the default of fresh you calibrate each tank from the panel, I found mine to be very close by default, but will have to calibrate the LPG after I get it filled to the top. All of the sensors are wired in parallel so you only need four wires for all sensors including the LPG, and these are already there, so it was pretty easy as long as you can crawl around under your rig. So now I no longer have to guess the level in my tanks as I get an accurate read out in percentage. The panel I ordered also has a 3-way pump switch and Heater switch.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #2

Congratulations on your install! I upgraded my Seneca last year and could not be happier. I even added a second display (yes, I'm nuts!) in my wet bay so I can monitor filling of my FW and emptying of the tanks right there.

Did you go with the Bluetooth model? Makes it possible to program high/low level alarms into the display and also read tank levels on your smartphone (see nuts comment above!).

Accurate tank levels are sure helpful, especially camping with kids/grandkids who have no concept of water conservation! Money well spent IMHO.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #3

No, not the BT model, didn't feel the need, and as for the second display in the wet bay, well, let's just say I felt it was overkill. My fresh has an overflow to signal when its full, and I have the clear dump hose section to check the outflow. But I totally agree that it is important to have accurate level sensors on the tanks, and the OEM system just wasn't cutting it. The bonus being I now have LPG monitoring inside, where as before I had to go and look at the analog gauge on the tank. That was an easy upgrade as I have the Rochester snap on gauge and it was a $37 replacement for the one with the sensor. I also got my system from Amazon for $179, and not the $350 MSRP.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #4

I added the LP too, very easy since I was right there like you. Second display, definitely overkill. I'm nuts as I mentioned!

I got my system from a reseller too, did not pay MSRP either.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #5

poor level gauge

OK I like the idea of the upgrade for your level gauge, our Alante 31V has remote LP readout at level monitor inside. I also think the 1/3 indicator is junk. A full LP shows 3/3, at about 3/4 reads 2/3 and almost empty reads 2/3. Glad I can verify reading at tank.
When you made the change was it possible to replace the old monitor with new one in same location? Over all we are very happy with this RV, only a few mods needed. As with all RV's I am forever tweaking to keep all things working. Right now working on door latch so we can open from inside without having to body slam it.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote