Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #41

That should work Gobdeep.... If your display doesn't show the heat pump, you'll just need to go into the settings of the display and select the option that shows the heat pump function...
Then you could use that relay to set that up, as well as the security lights you wanted to front; which those could be hooked up to another unused option of the board.....
NoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #42

Gobdeep, I also contacted GoPower and they finally let me know what we need to do to get the solar to connect to the Jaycommand.

These next 2 links will show what is needed to get the system "capable"of connecting to the Jaycommand, although, the display will need to be changed to show the solar option as well...I can send those instructions as well, if anyone needs them...

1. https://gpelectric.com/products/30-a...ler-bluetooth/

2. https://gpelectric.com/products/30-a...ar-controller/
Old 01-25-2022, 10:13 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFly View Post
Gobdeep, I also contacted GoPower and they finally let me know what we need to do to get the solar to connect to the Jaycommand.

These next 2 links will show what is needed to get the system "capable"of connecting to the Jaycommand, although, the display will need to be changed to show the solar option as well...I can send those instructions as well, if anyone needs them...

1. https://gpelectric.com/products/30-a...ler-bluetooth/

2. https://gpelectric.com/products/30-a...ar-controller/
Nice! Item #1, based on product code, is also on Amazon. I'm wondering if I can snag this using Prime and see if the bluetooth will let me connect to the JayCommand using the pairing option...?

Did they say how to connect the unit to the JayCommand? Solar isn't a hardwired option on the either of the JayCommand or BMPro nodes.
gobdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:29 AM   #44

I have also had some communications with GoPower and they said only the GP-RVC-MPPT-30 was RVC compliant and able to connect to the JayCommand. If you look it has the extra port on it. Its also harder to find and about $350 from what I have seen. Neither Jayco or GoPower would tell me anything about the cable, Jayco said it would void the warranty. But half the stuff we're doing voids it anyway :-)

I found a 30amp Victron Smartsolar for $150 that Im waiting on as it might also have the ability to connect up from what I am reading. But either way it also works with its own really good full featured bluetooth app and I already have their battery shunt.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:51 AM   #45

Gobdeep, correct, I also noticed the Bluetooth display was in Amazon. I just contacted a "dealer" near me and they said the 30amp mppt RV-C was $280 +tax.

But Tom, you have a very good point... Jayco does say "EVERYTHING" will void the warranty lol...
But yes, the Victron Bluetooth controller is rated to be the best, but I'm wondering if it could be connected to the Jaycommand?... It's Bluetooth, just like all my light switches, so I'm wondering if it would connect the same way to the Jaycommand system and then it could be monitored remotely through three BMPro app... ��.... Hmm... Interesting for sure to think about...
Old 01-25-2022, 10:58 AM   #46

Gobdeep, something else to look at when you test the ports, look to see if anything else is already plugged into the CAN connector. I am thinking that there is already something there which means possibly a hub of some kind might also exist or be needed to connect multiple things to it via that port.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:20 AM   #47

Pictures below.

RE: HEAT PUMP
I probed the heat pump solder points with a ground connection to "A/C GROUND" but never detected voltage when I turned the heat pumps on or off. I probed every solder point. I probed A/C FAN and I detected a spike in 12 volts with a level off around 3 volts so I know my voltage meter is working. There may be some missing items under the sheets given the fact that the JayCommand unit doesn't have stab terminals soldered onto the PCB board. :-(

RE: CAN BUS
Yes, I have two CAN BUS ports. One is in use by the hardware controller which was formerly used by the hardware display. 4 wire CAN. The second CAN BUS port has a resistor (?) diagonally across two of the ports. If I remove the resistor, my hardware functions on tablet hardware buttons no longer work. I can use either CAN BUS port. I am thinking it is a placeholder if only one CAN BUS device is connected.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:22 AM   #48

Solar pictures from the hardware charge controller and the solar pictures from the app.

I have an RJ45 port, not an RJ11 as some of the GoPower documents refer to, and a two-wire temperature port.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo-2022-01-25-11-33-40_5935.jpg   Photo-2022-01-25-11-33-46_5936.jpg   Photo-2022-01-25-11-33-50_5937.jpg   Photo-2022-01-25-11-34-04_5939.jpg   Photo-2022-01-25-11-54-53_5940.PNG  

Photo-2022-01-25-11-54-55_5941.PNG  
Old 01-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #49

I think this confirms CAN BUS is being used for solar. Now to find the device that sits between RJ45 and 4 wire CAN.

Edit: Need to research "RV-C". Added second pic.
Edit edit: Now we're cookin'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV-C. http://www.rv-c.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg   Capture2.jpg  
Old 01-25-2022, 11:55 AM   #50

Tom_AZ and NoFly, y'all hit it right with your GoPower communications.
https://gpelectric.com/solar-and-rvc-technology/

It's going to be this one that y'all referenced earlier. The part with RV-C in the name. https://gpelectric.com/products/30-a...ar-controller/

GP-RVC-MPPT-30

Edit: aaand there it is. $239.99 on eTrailer - https://www.etrailer.com/Solar-Charg...er/GP72RR.html. It's bulky AF so this isn't mounting on the dining room wall. :-(

The Q&A section mentions an additional remote control to program the device but I'm wondering if it can be done via the JayCommand app. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...er/GP37MR.html

Looks like RJ12 - 6 pin for these two units.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #51

Wow.. Good news from that reading... So, if we can get our hands on the 30 amp mppt RV-C controller, we WON'T need the Bluetooth display!.... Once the controller is added, it can be added to the onboard display system through RV-C.... That saves ALLOT if time and money!
Old 01-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #52

Goddeep, to answer your question if we'd need the display.... Here is what was in that description on their page

"Easy to install on their own and compatible with all RV-C multiplexing systems, these MPPT solar controllers offer superior flexibility for any RV installation. Stackable and simple to use, they can be seamlessly integrated into RV-C connected systems (OR) used on their own with the optional Bluetooth® remote."

As for the controller, it appears to be 7.5" x 5.5" at 3lbs..... That's not too bad at all!

The only question I now have is; etrailer's video description says it has a a Max solar panel input of "less than" 100 watts!??... Huh??... So...... Does that mean you'd need a controller for every 100 watt panel?? That doesn't seem right.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:24 PM   #53

Compared to my current wall unit, it is big. "Deep" is probably a better term. I can't re-use the existing slot on my wall so I'd need to figure out a way to cover up the hole or somehow work this guy in and let it sit in the wall recess. I'm complaining about nothing.

I am going to say that eTrailer misread the tech specs.

See this page: https://gpelectric.com/products/30-a...ar-controller/ for the specs and related documentation.

"The GP-MPPT-30-RVC optimizes solar charging capacity in mobile systems
in all sun and tilt conditions while allowing the use of simpler series wiring
configurations up to 100V (Voc @ STC)."

"Max PV Input Power 600W/12V;1200W/24V"

"Stackable. Pair up to 5 on a single system for a max solar array of 3000
watts, or 150 amps"

Just to confirm that I am reading correctly, they say you can stack 5 for a total of 3000 watts. 3000/5 = 600 which is the max photovoltaic input power per device. Can you check my math?

Also, they say the device supports RS485 and CANBUS.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MAN_GP-RVC-30-MPPT.pdf (3.79 MB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf SPEC_GP-RVC30-MPPT.pdf (1.29 MB, 4 views)
Old 01-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #54

Ok yes that is correct... Thank you for clarifying this....600 Max PV input per controller, which would be 3000 Max with 5 controllers.

Now, with that though, one has to ask if the Victron would be a better system as the BMPro would be $1250 (from etrailer) for just the 5 controllers to make the 3000 watt capability. We haven't even taken the cost of the panels or the batteries into account yet.

Imo.... There are 2 major factors to consider:. 1. Having RV-C capability 2. Showing to expand without needing "excessive" additional purchases to make the expansion possible.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:56 PM   #55

Do you already have the BMpro/JayCommand/RVGenius hardware or are you looking to add it from scratch?

For me, JayCommand and solar came with our unit so for me it is the cost of the addons only. I could see doing this from scratch being costly.

So I'm interested in snagging this device from GoPower (well, eTrailer). Looks like I need to build a CANBUS cable. Easy enough, but I need to figure out the 4 pin CANBUS plug size and find one that fits the JayCommand unit.

Any ideas?
Old 01-25-2022, 01:17 PM   #56

That etrailer price is good, the spec on this and the Victron are identical, wonder who builds this for GoPower. I know their 60amp MPPT is the same as many others like Renogy etc..

I may cancel my other order...

I have seen those plugs before and they are common just not sure what they are called. I found these and wonder if they would work even though the ones on the JayCommand have the directional plug ends to make sure its not plugged in wrong.
https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-Connec...s%2C112&sr=8-4
Old 01-25-2022, 01:23 PM   #57

Also if you are looking to do more solar, do 24v panels, these chargers would then do 1200w (or double) at the 30amp size. They then convert and will charge a 12v or 24v battery bank, depending on how you have it setup, so you are not locked into 24v battery setup if you dont want it.

Mine trailer has the 12v 190w panels from GoPower, I have confirmed those will work fine with other 200w panels from other mfg's. I have been looking at and like the Rich Solar 200w panels.

On the hole left in the wall... yeah been thinking about that too. If you get the $99 remote panel you could 3d print up a base plate that covers the hole and mount that panel to it. OR cover with a picture :-)
Old 01-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #58

I just ordered the GoPower controller. Will get all the juicy details once it arrives.

Between now and then, I'll poke at the CANBUS 4 pin connector and see what measurements I can get and if I can find something that works. I'll upload a few measurement pictures of the connector in a bit... if not today then tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:50 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
Also if you are looking to do more solar, do 24v panels, these chargers would then do 1200w (or double) at the 30amp size. They then convert and will charge a 12v or 24v battery bank, depending on how you have it setup, so you are not locked into 24v battery setup if you dont want it.

Mine trailer has the 12v 190w panels from GoPower, I have confirmed those will work fine with other 200w panels from other mfg's. I have been looking at and like the Rich Solar 200w panels.

On the hole left in the wall... yeah been thinking about that too. If you get the $99 remote panel you could 3d print up a base plate that covers the hole and mount that panel to it. OR cover with a picture :-)
Can you do the panels in series for 24 volts? The wife and I want to add an additional panel or two in the spring along with another HVAC. Fun times.

I have a single 190 watt GP panel.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:03 PM   #60

I will caveat what I am about to share may not apply to the 190w panel, but a simple message to GoPower would confirm. They do have a newer model that they share all the spec on it which match much closer to those of 200w from other companies. They for some reason don't share all the same spec for our 190w but I believe will be fine as well, but again confirm first with them.

Simply put yes, serial is an option. Both ways to wire have pros and cons. Here is a site that explains it pretty well in simple terms. https://www.literoflightusa.org/sola...disadvantages/

This site explains for home solar panels but the same applies for the RV. In the end with 24v you can have more watts with the same/smaller size wire as the amps are still 30. So the higher the voltage you can use smaller wire. But be careful with that! 48v would be nice in the trailers but you can electrocute yourself with that. Where 12 or 24v are much much more safe.

Tags
24bh, bluetooth, bmpro, jaycommand, tablet