Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2022, 10:06 PM   #161

Hi JP,

No there isn't anything special you'll need on the tablet to make it work. Just make sure it does have Bluetooth and of course, WiFi.
Then just download the app and you should be set.
The only issue you may have is if your planning on using the original trim piece for the tablet, it'll need to be the same size so it fits correctly.
NoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:39 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFly View Post
Hi JP,

No there isn't anything special you'll need on the tablet to make it work. Just make sure it does have Bluetooth and of course, WiFi.
Then just download the app and you should be set.
The only issue you may have is if your planning on using the original trim piece for the tablet, it'll need to be the same size so it fits correctly.
We currently have the LCD display, but want the cloud functionality. BMPro did confirm our node is compatible with the controller. Would I, in theory, be able to connect an Android tablet via bluetooth while on wifi and it give me this functionality, or do I indeed have to swap out the display for the controller?
mpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:50 AM   #163

I am not 100% sure but I do believe this would work. If you have a tablet laying around, give it a try. There is some circuitry on the controller however that is most likely only for to control the buttons when/if the tablet has issues.

It would have to have wifi setup on the tablet or cellular might even work (have not tried that). Then in the settings of the app a cloud option should show up and will require you to create a cloud account. You will need to do this on the tablet and any phone you use remotely. Once done will just show up and when connected via cloud it will have a cloud in the upper right corner of the app.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:57 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
I am not 100% sure but I do believe this would work. If you have a tablet laying around, give it a try. There is some circuitry on the controller however that is most likely only for to control the buttons when/if the tablet has issues.

It would have to have wifi setup on the tablet or cellular might even work (have not tried that). Then in the settings of the app a cloud option should show up and will require you to create a cloud account. You will need to do this on the tablet and any phone you use remotely. Once done will just show up and when connected via cloud it will have a cloud in the upper right corner of the app.
I've got a Samsung Tablet laying around that we used to run Navionics on the boat before we got rid of it to start camping. I've got it charging now and when it gets enough battery I'll give it a try. When I log in on my phone it doesn't give the option to setup the cloud option, but I wonder if the tablet has to bet set up first. I'll report back whether it works or not.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpilot View Post
We currently have the LCD display, but want the cloud functionality. BMPro did confirm our node is compatible with the controller. Would I, in theory, be able to connect an Android tablet via bluetooth while on wifi and it give me this functionality, or do I indeed have to swap out the display for the controller?
Mpilot,

TomC is correct on this; you will be able to connect any tablet with the BMPRO app running on it. The only issue with using "any tablet, is the power cord in the wall needs to fit the tablet, otherwise you'll only be running on the battery of the tablet.

The circuit board that the node plugs into at the back of the tablet is independent of the tablet, therefore if you can find a tablet that plugs into the power cord, all you'll need to do is download the app and the cloud services will work.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:24 AM   #166

Quote:
Mpilot,

TomC is correct on this; you will be able to connect any tablet with the BMPRO app running on it. The only issue with using "any tablet, is the power cord in the wall needs to fit the tablet, otherwise you'll only be running on the battery of the tablet.

The circuit board that the node plugs into at the back of the tablet is independent of the tablet, therefore if you can find a tablet that plugs into the power cord, all you'll need to do is download the app and the cloud services will work.
I was planning on plugging it in elsewhere to keep it charged. It sounds like here what I want to do will not work (keeping the existing LCD screen and connecting tablet via Bluetooth). Sounds like I'm stuck without remote connectivity or upgrading the entire controller. My tablet isn't wanting to install the app, so I'll have to work around that to even try.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #167

Quote:
I was planning on plugging it in elsewhere to keep it charged. It sounds like here what I want to do will not work (keeping the existing LCD screen and connecting tablet via Bluetooth). Sounds like I'm stuck without remote connectivity or upgrading the entire controller. My tablet isn't wanting to install the app, so I'll have to work around that to even try.
When you talk about the controller and LCD screen as separate items, confuses me. In my 2020 Pinnacle the tablet is the controller/LCD screen. Can you add photos of what your looking at, to give us all a better idea of what we're dealing with?
Old 11-03-2022, 11:01 AM   #168

Quote:
When you talk about the controller and LCD screen as separate items, confuses me. In my 2020 Pinnacle the tablet is the controller/LCD screen. Can you add photos of what your looking at, to give us all a better idea of what we're dealing with?
There are two models. There is the LCD Display (found in Eagles like mine) or the Controller which is the "tablet" type screen. Mine is the base model as it was not optioned to the higher level. See the difference in the below image. I have the same node and all behind the wall but the display/interface is different.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:18 AM   #169

Quote:
There are two models. There is the LCD Display (found in Eagles like mine) or the Controller which is the "tablet" type screen. Mine is the base model as it was not optioned to the higher level. See the difference in the below image. I have the same node and all behind the wall but the display/interface is different.

Ok I now see the difference...

Imo, "if" all the connections behind the LCD are the same, you could just eliminate the LCD display and plug a tablet in and download the app. Granted, you won't have the hard buttons the controller has, but you'll certainly gain access to the cloud.

You indicated your tablet isn't downloading the app? What kind of tablet are you trying to use?
Old 11-03-2022, 11:26 AM   #170

gobdeep had also done modifications to his system and added the controller... Since mine came with the controller, maybe he could weigh-in on his experience.

Here's the link to his post:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ler-92422.html
Old 11-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #171

If the tablet has been sitting for a little bit check for android updates as well as the google store updates. I have had to do these in the past for other tablets to download any app.

I still think that once you get the app on and the tablet has internet connection it should show in the cloud option. As for power just use the USB port on the trailer or replace it with a better one to do faster charges.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:04 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
If the tablet has been sitting for a little bit check for android updates as well as the google store updates. I have had to do these in the past for other tablets to download any app.

I still think that once you get the app on and the tablet has internet connection it should show in the cloud option. As for power just use the USB port on the trailer or replace it with a better one to do faster charges.
It's a Galaxy A6, so I'm thinking it doesn't have the right specs to run it. I ran into this with RV Life as it is stuck on an older version of the OS with no support from Samsung. I can manually install a newer OS, but I might just go get a cheap android tablet that's newer and try that.

I've replaced quite a few of the USB ports with better ones, including replacing both our Furion speaker docks with dedicated USB chargers. Also, any outlet I have swapped out has gone to a USB and 110 outlet. It makes a big difference having plugs where you need them.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #173

I believe there are separate (not OS) updates to just the appstore as well, you can check to see if that is out there for the tablet. I have an A6 as well and this is what I needed to do to download and used some mapping tools on it.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #174

Mpilot,

Just a thought..... If you have any old smart phones laying around, you could connect that to WiFi and then see if the app will download. If so, this could be a temporary solution, until you can get a newer tablet. This would at least give you the cloud feature; which is what we're trying to accomplish here.

Just a thought..
Old 11-03-2022, 12:23 PM   #175

Quote:
Mpilot,

Just a thought..... If you have any old smart phones laying around, you could connect that to WiFi and then see if the app will download. If so, this could be a temporary solution, until you can get a newer tablet. This would at least give you the cloud feature; which is what we're trying to accomplish here.

Just a thought..
I'm already connected through mine and my wife's phone and neither give me the cloud option on the settings screen of the app. Not sure if another phone would make a difference but I can try it.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:35 PM   #176

Quote:
I'm already connected through mine and my wife's phone and neither give me the cloud option on the settings screen of the app. Not sure if another phone would make a difference but I can try it.
Have you created an account for the cloud?

When you open the app, you should see the main screen.
Then click on settings.
Then you should see the Bluetooth and cloud features?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20221103-123307_JAYCOMMANDTravelLINK.jpg   Screenshot_20221103-123313_JAYCOMMANDTravelLINK.jpg  
Old 11-03-2022, 12:38 PM   #177

Oh snap... You may need to go into the programming section of the settings to program your exact rig into the system.

To do this, go to the "settings" section of the app.

Then.....

Tap the word "General Settings" (at the top of the screen) 5 times!

This will take you to the programming section.

You'll need you vin and model number to do this.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:58 PM   #178

Quote:
Have you created an account for the cloud?

When you open the app, you should see the main screen.
Then click on settings.
Then you should see the Bluetooth and cloud features?
It's factory setup for our travel trailer. I did see the hack for getting into that menu which may be helpful with some options we want to add later. Here's what my settings screen and configuration screen looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20221103_115348_JAYCOMMANDTravelLINK.jpg   Screenshot_20221103_115333_JAYCOMMANDTravelLINK.jpg  
Old 11-03-2022, 01:15 PM   #179

I wonder if you'd change the type of rig you have in the setup screen, if it would give you different options on the app... ��?
Old 11-03-2022, 01:16 PM   #180

Confirmed Tablet won't work because it's stuck at Android OS 5 and needs to be at least 6 to run the Jay Command app. Apparently a 6 year old tablet is outdated...who knew? I'm kidding...didn't realize it was that old, so no surprise it won't run any of the newer stuff. I did find people that were able to load 6 and 7 roms, but apparently it makes the tablet unusable because of the lack of storage/ram. I'll find another use for it perhaps, so back in the drawer it goes.

I might go buy a newer tablet just to see what happens and if it doesn't work return it. I'm consulting with the family CFO right now about this previously unbudgeted technology purchase haha.

Tags
24bh, bluetooth, bmpro, jaycommand, tablet