Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Replacement J-Steel Selection

Planning on replacing our J-Steel sofa for the coming season and seeking advice about quality replacements. Our 2011 vintage sofa is getting increasingly uncomfortable as the foam seems to be getting softer/worn. Your butt pretty much sinks down to the underlying supports. I do want a similar Jackknife type sofa to maintain the storage beneath.

Have found many options online, shop4seats.com seems to have the biggest selection. Several vendors offer Lippert's Thomas Payne units. Thing is, it's pretty tough to test sit any of these before ordering.

Any advice or experience out there with quality replacements? Good sources? We will be travelling Canada to FL in March (I-81/I-95 corridor), so I might have an opportunity to stop at a sticks and bricks retailer to try one out before ordering. Plan to order and pick it up on our trip to the ADK's for Victoria (Memorial) Day.

TIA!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

Changed out our jack knife sofa. Pretty much worthless POS.

We didn't need the extra sleeping capacity. Just the wife and I.

Bought a dual recliner from a local furniture store.

So much more comfortable.

See post #4.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post426915
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip @Wireman. I am kind of set on a sofa replacement as I do occasionally have enough kids along to require it for sleeping. Also, most all of the externally accessible storage on mine is under the sofa.

I really like the selection from shop4seats, but that's a lot of money to plunk down for a mail order item sight unseen. Have no idea if the foam is any good.

I did try the Thomas Payne at an RV show, and they seemed marginally more comfortable than our current sofa, but will one of those just break down like our current one.

Has anyone sourced an RV sofa that isn't built by Lippert and lived to like it? I'd love to hear feedback, good or bad...
Old 01-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Thanks for the tip @Wireman. I am kind of set on a sofa replacement as I do occasionally have enough kids along to require it for sleeping. Also, most all of the externally accessible storage on mine is under the sofa.

I really like the selection from shop4seats, but that's a lot of money to plunk down for a mail order item sight unseen. Have no idea if the foam is any good.

I did try the Thomas Payne at an RV show, and they seemed marginally more comfortable than our current sofa, but will one of those just break down like our current one.

Has anyone sourced an RV sofa that isn't built by Lippert and lived to like it? I'd love to hear feedback, good or bad...
Didn't have any storage under the old one except the power cord storage which I had to change out to a detachable power cord to eliminate it.

So is the old sofa sitting on top of the storage area? Can't quite picture your setup.

I've heard the Thomas Payne is suppose to be quality stuff though I've never seen it up close.

I had to take apart the new sofa to get it through the door. Make sure there is room to get a new one in. The entrance doors on RV's isn't very wide.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Didn't have any storage under the old one except the power cord storage which I had to change out to a detachable power cord to eliminate it.

So is the old sofa sitting on top of the storage area? Can't quite picture your setup.

I've heard the Thomas Payne is suppose to be quality stuff though I've never seen it up close.

I had to take apart the new sofa to get it through the door. Make sure there is room to get a new one in. The entrance doors on RV's isn't very wide.
Yes, the J-Steel sits on two tubular steel frames at either end, so the exterior door opens into the space below. You can also lift the kick cover on the front for inside access to the stored items. Lots of trailers do a similar thing with the space under the bed.

Access is not an issue for us. It's an HTT, so the ends zip open with bunk dropped. We store our Kayaks inside our HTT for the winter every year; it's a straight slide in.

A bit more research yesterday found a link to FlexSteel which I assume is the original idea for the J-steel (Jayco made a cheap knock-off?) Online it looks similar but better made.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Yes, the J-Steel sits on two tubular steel frames at either end, so the exterior door opens into the space below. You can also lift the kick cover on the front for inside access to the stored items. Lots of trailers do a similar thing with the space under the bed.

Access is not an issue for us. It's an HTT, so the ends zip open with bunk dropped. We store our Kayaks inside our HTT for the winter every year; it's a straight slide in.

A bit more research yesterday found a link to FlexSteel which I assume is the original idea for the J-steel (Jayco made a cheap knock-off?) Online it looks similar but better made.
Flexsteel was(is) a quality furniture maker. Had some of there stuff back in the 70's & 80's and it was very good.

Don't know if it's still made in the USA. In the light weight trailers like mine, Jayco puts in pretty much junk to keep the weight down.

The jack knife sofa I took out was pathetic in it's construction.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #7

Kind of in the same boat - looking for a replacement for the J-sofa. Our trailer is a 2005 Jay Flight 25RKS with the sofa in the slide. The bottom of the slide is about 12 inches off the floor. Because of this, a regular couch or loveseat won't work and it'd be a bit on the tall side. Besides, I haven't found any that'd fit through the door yet or that the wife likes.

I'd pulled the sofa apart and took it to some local upholsters to see what it'd cost to recover. Estimates were $400 for labor, total was between $700 - 2000. This is outside of our budget. On a side note, most upholsters can re-foam a sofa for more support, but it'd add to the overall cost.

I'm thinking of using a futon (or click clack as I've sometimes heard them called) as a replacement for the sofa. Pull up on the back to release the lock so that it folds flat. Majority seem to be narrower than 72 inches. 72 is the inside dimension of the slide. They seem to run around $150-300 and up.
Attached Thumbnails
20180107_152723.jpg  
4silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #8

I like the futon idea @4silverado, thanks! Ours is a shorter 68" long, so might be a challenge to find a fit, but I have seem some futon frames that are similar to the J-Steel action. Might be able to mod something to work.

That price for reupholstery is more than replacement, and I am looking for better foam, so that would drive up the cost more.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #9

We picked this one up at Walmart today. Need to get it installed to see how well it fits.
Attached Thumbnails
20180110_171110.jpg   20180110_171132.jpg  
Old 01-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #10

We got the Thomas Payne ones and they are very comfortable for us. Used them a lot and not showing any wear. Dog's paws don't harm the vinyl either. Easy to wipe clean. They weren't cheap but we use them more than most.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #11

Here is what the futon looks like in the slide. I still have a little work to do. I've got a curtain to hide the slide components.
Attached Thumbnails
20180120_164651.jpg  
Old 01-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #12

That looks really good. It does appear that you removed the legs or bottom frame?

I think your length dimension was a bit long for my 19H, but it really gets me thinking.

How is it for comfort? Could you spend a good part of a rainy day lounging on it?
Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #13

I didn't install the legs; this futon had a frame attached to the cushions. I did have to add some 1/2 inch plywood between the futon frame and the slide to level it out. My wife thinks it is very comfortable. If needed, it can be pulled away from the wall for extra sleeping room. I've got it velcro'd to the slide for the time being.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #14

great mind think alike since i was looking at a loveseat of some sort at Ikea, to do the exact same mod in my whitehawk , glad to see how that come out and that will increase the confidence of the wife for my project lol

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 AM   #15

I built a pair of end tables that move with the slide from a shelf board and a couple of marine cup holders (around $3 each @ Academy Sports). The tables worked alright but I have to tweak them a little since there is a sharp corner that protrudes into the hallway on one end when the slide is closed.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #16

Here is a pic of the end table. It moves with the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
20180216_072645.jpg  
Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #17

Another cool idea @4silverado.

I've had no luck (so far) finding a 68" futon to fit my space. All at least 70", usually 72". Haven't looked too hard yet, but a trip coming up to FL in 3 weeks; may do a little shopping on the long drive down.

I did order material samples from shop4seats.com, and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. Called the company first, and chatted a bit a very pleasant sales rep who left me feeling a bit better if I decide to go that way. Would need to order fairly soon as I only have one US camping trip planned (so far) this summer in May. It would have to be at my US mail drop before we head through.