Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods

Old 02-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

Replacing stock IOTA converter with Magnum Energy MSH3012M converter/inverter.

We've decided to replace our stock converter charger on our 2007 26BHS with a new converter/inverter. Does anyone have experience doing this and/or have any advice on this procedure?

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2005 GMC YukonXL Denali
4 6-volt batteries - 440 AH bank
Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Yamaha EF3000iSEB generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

Are you thinking about an inverter/charger vs an inverter/converter. I have never seen or head of an inverter/converter only an inverter/charger. I think if an inverter/converter was available many motor-home manufacturers would be using them in lieu of seperate converters and inverters.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The Magnum Energy MHS series is an Inverter/Charger, so I don't believe (???) it would be a direct replacement for an existing IOTA Converter/Charger.

Last year I up-graded my existing 2005 Jayco IOTA Converter/Charger (2-stage) with a Progressive Dynamics PD9245 Converter/Charger (4-stage). I have yet to add an Inverter to my TT.

In my TT the IOTA converter/charger was mounted to the back of the Load Center (breaker/fuse panel), so I left the IOTA in-place. I simply disconnected the IOTA wiring and connected new wiring from the PD9245 into the Load Center. I located the PD9245 close to the Load Center. My IOTA can still be used as a back-up. Your 2007 TT may have the IOTA converter/charger as a stand alone (not mounted to a Load Center), in this case it's a simple R&R.

Reference: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...rter%2Fcharger

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #4

Grumpy, can you help me understand? I was thinking the inverter/charger would replace the converter. I'm off on that it sounds like. Would the stock converter remain in place? I guess I'm confused on the components.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2005 GMC YukonXL Denali
4 6-volt batteries - 440 AH bank
Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Yamaha EF3000iSEB generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #5

Since Rustic Eagle (Bob) has already started the process he would probably be best to answer your questions, but yes there is a difference between a converter and a charger. Also for a 3000 watt inverter you would need a large bank of batteries. My 1800 watt requires 4 to properly operate.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Since Rustic Eagle (Bob) has already started the process he would probably be best to answer your questions..... snip
Grumpy (and others) please feel free to jump in at any time and add to the discussion, because I'm not that familiar with the Magnum Energy, Inc., products.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker06@bresnan.net View Post
snip..... Would the stock converter remain in place? I guess I'm confused on the components.
The standard RV OEM converter/charger changes A/C power to D/C power, and also charges the batteries. An "inverter" is usually an add-on product to the standard converter/charger electrical system, because the inverter has the ability to change D/C power to A/C power......, thus why member 'Grumpy' was referencing a larger battery bank (D/C power source) to operate an inverter.

All the 'inverter' installations that I have seen the standard converter/charger remains within the electrical system, but there are specific wiring requirements for these two products to work effectively with each other. Hopefully someone will chime in that has worked with the MSH series inverter/charger.

During the last couple of years, many RV manufactures have upgraded their standard OEM converter/chargers to what is referred to as "smart" converter/chargers. The upgrade focus has been on the charger's ability to charge the battery(s) faster and better managing voltage input into the battery (longer battery life). The older converter/chargers were 2-stage units, the newer units are 3-stage and 4-stage units.

It's very possible that your 2007 Jayco is a 2-stage converter/charger, so up-grading to a newer unit in most cases would be beneficial for one's battery management.

Again, I'm not familiar with the Magnum Energy MSH Inverter/Charger series products.., thus I question if it also has the ability to change A/C power to D/C power when connected to shore power.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Well, did a little digging......, and if I'm reading the following thread link correctly, an Inverter/Charger can replace a Converter/Charger. It appears that a "inverter/charger" product has more capability over a plain "inverter'" then just charging the batteries. Would never have guessed that it could also provide A/C power throughout the RV as well (I'm assuming that this applies connected to shore power as well).

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...er-112889.html

Looks like I'm going to learn something new here!

To the OP: Your thread my become a learning tool for some of us

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #8

I'm only familiar with the normal converter/charger (PD9280) which is what came in the MH (2008) as well as the Xantrex 1800 inverter. The PD9280 has the built in charge wizard which adjusts the charge needed. I leave the MH plugged in 24/7 at home and have added very little water to the batteries in 5 years. The Xantrex has the pass through feature so the outlets connected to it are "live" with the inverter on or off. If it is the on position it does not draw from the batteries until the shore power is disconntected.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

In reviewing Magnum Energy's MS series manual I found; "In the Standby Mode, the unit operates as a Battery Charger to convert the incoming AC power into DC power to recharge the batteries; and at the same time, automatically closes an internal AC Transfer Relay to pass the incoming AC power directly to inverterís output to continue powering the connected electrical appliances." I guess for the inverter/charger to replace an existing converter/charger "all" the existing A/C would have to be connected to the inverter/charger.

Source: http://magnumenergy.com/wp-content/u...-MS-Series.pdf

One thing I would suggest to the OP would be to contact Jayco directly (have VIN handy) and request the electrical diagrams for his particular TT, may be a good to have as a reference. Also, contacting Magnum Energy, Inc., one may find that they have some installation "how-to's" for the DIY's.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #10

If it was done as a total replacement then some sort of fuse panel would be needed or individual fuses added to each 12 volt circuit along with a terminal board.