Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2023, 07:03 AM   #1

Running stuff through walls - Things we Learned

I'm combing through threads trying to get over my reluctance to run my solar wires inside through the walls. After reading a dozen or so I believe running wires, pipes, cables, etc over, under, in, and out of walls deserves a thread of it's own. I hope y'all agree.

My favorite tip I used was covering small holes with the same seem tape they used at the factory.

My second favorite was buying an inexpensive scope (under $50) to see in the walls.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:21 AM   #2
Site Team

If it's an exterior wall it will be foam filled and the outer and inner are bonded to the foam when the wall is made.

Once I ran a Romex about 4 feet from an existing outlet to a location that I wanted to install a 120v light fixture mounted on the wall. I slowly pushed a small welding rod up from the outlet and down from the where the fixture was to be mounted until the holes met. Then I pulled a 14-2 w/grd. Romex up and connected it to the outlet which was for a bed pump. Otherwise never used. That fixture is used more than many in our rig for reading when sitting on the sofa.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I'm combing through threads trying to get over my reluctance to run my solar wires inside through the walls. After reading a dozen or so I believe running wires, pipes, cables, etc over, under, in, and out of walls deserves a thread of it's own. I hope y'all agree.

My favorite tip I used was covering small holes with the same seem tape they used at the factory.

My second favorite was buying an inexpensive scope (under $50) to see in the walls.
I consider a scope an essential tool to carry in an RV. There are so many places you need visibility to that you can't see by eye or even with a expandable mirror which I also carry.

I never thought about seam tape but it is likely something I will add to my collection of "stuff" I carry in my oh Sh*t tote...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 10:32 AM   #4

I have run lots of wires though our TT, mostly 12V. Preplanning is key! Before any electrical work, I spend a lot of time working out my wire pull plan. I have spend a lot of time digging through the TT, figuring out how & where Jayco assembles the camper. Looking for existing wiring, plumbing, maintenance access panels. I have found a number of false panels inside/behind/under cabinets that have wiring or plumbing. I have found sometimes if I remove shelves, and a few screws, bingo, I have good access. An example, my tall pantry cabinet is a few inches shallower than the rest of the cabinets in that area. The main wire harness for all the sensors and controls runs through this area. Along with the microwave and radio power.

For our current TT, the hardest area to deal with was pulling wires around the shower pan. Once I got the fish tape around the corner (shower pan), I pulled and left a future pull string.

All the of the lower shelves for the cabinets are hollow. Very slowly and carefully, I have pulled up the inside shelf base to gain access to run the wires. You must go very slowly, pry up the very thin plywood, just a little bit, and keep working your way around, to start to release the million staples. Then pry the plywood up a little more, working your way around. If you go to fast the plywood will shatter. Most of the shelves I have pulled wires through I have never secured the inside shelf back down. No real reason to, gravity holds in in place, along with the shape. One of these interior shelves, when needed (extended trips or attending weddings, etc) is where we stash a little extra cash or jewelry when we have those items along with.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote