Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2022, 02:50 PM   #1

Shocks AND Sumo Springs?

Anyone done this?
I installed a Morryde shock kit last season and it dramatically improved the ride and handling of my little 211. Knowing that all trailers are not weighted evenly on each wheel I am thinking about adding Sumo Springs to even out the differences. Also I am 800# away from my trailer GVWR. I think I added about 150# when I installed the residential quartz counter tops and table, lol. When I rebuilt the trailer I installed new leaf springs that are rated for 4000# instead of the stock 3500#.

https://youtu.be/rXpHy2f67Rg
Gcappy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcappy56 View Post
Anyone done this?
I installed a Morryde shock kit last season and it dramatically improved the ride and handling of my little 211. Knowing that all trailers are not weighted evenly on each wheel I am thinking about adding Sumo Springs to even out the differences. Also I am 800# away from my trailer GVWR. I think I added about 150# when I installed the residential quartz counter tops and table, lol. When I rebuilt the trailer I installed new leaf springs that are rated for 4000# instead of the stock 3500#.

I have not done it yet but am seriously considering it. We just got our first trailer and the first big things we are doing is the moryde x factor cross members on all 3 spring hangers, the moryde equalizer, and the upgraded spring straps. Sumo springs just released a video on their most recent tests and I’m sold so this may be on our list as a preventative mod as this carrying some of the load will help prolong suspension and trailer life. Let us know how it works out for you.
NERVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Anyone done this?

I'm still torn on the Sumo Springs for the trailer.

This video shows how they perform when installed.

Sure, it might settle down the movement on the axle but in my opinion it does so by transmitting some of this movement from the axle through the SS and into the trailer frame.

I want to isolate the house from the axle so that my stuff in the trailer experiences less movement. I want the axle and leaf springs to take all of that punishment and movement rather than transmitting it into the house frame.

A regular shock is attached at both ends so that it can absorb and release energy in a more controlled fashion. The SS isn't like a real "shock" because it's not attached at both ends. Sumo Springs are essentially just softer bump stops. They only resist compression forces and will release that stored compression energy as fast as they're permitted.

After the SS is installed, it now gives the axle a place to "crash into" the trailer frame and transfer energy from the axle through the SS and into the frame. So energy that didn't used to be able to reach the frame can now push on the frame through the SS.

This is just the conclusion I've come to after imagining the mechanics. Would love to hear other opinions.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I'm still torn on the Sumo Springs for the trailer.

This video shows how they perform when installed.

Sure, it might settle down the movement on the axle but in my opinion it does so by transmitting some of this movement from the axle through the SS and into the trailer frame.

I want to isolate the house from the axle so that my stuff in the trailer experiences less movement. I want the axle and leaf springs to take all of that punishment and movement rather than transmitting it into the house frame.

A regular shock is attached at both ends so that it can absorb and release energy in a more controlled fashion. The SS isn't like a real "shock" because it's not attached at both ends. Sumo Springs are essentially just softer bump stops. They only resist compression forces and will release that stored compression energy as fast as they're permitted.

After the SS is installed, it now gives the axle a place to "crash into" the trailer frame and transfer energy from the axle through the SS and into the frame. So energy that didn't used to be able to reach the frame can now push on the frame through the SS.

This is just the conclusion I've come to after imagining the mechanics. Would love to hear other opinions.

I have being thinking about doing something like this but I need to do more search on adding Sumo Spring.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:14 PM   #5

Super springs just released their newest test, I’m sold haha. Just did the moryde cre3000, X factor crossmembers on all 3 hangers and heady duty shackle kit. This will most likely be my next addition.

http://youtu.be/fySzbskmcag
NERVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:27 PM   #6

I have being thinking about doing something like this, after looking at the video make me really want to go through with it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVA View Post
Super springs just released their newest test, I’m sold haha. Just did the moryde cre3000, X factor crossmembers on all 3 hangers and heady duty shackle kit. This will most likely be my next addition.

http://youtu.be/fySzbskmcag
Unfortunately none of these video’s or statements address my question. In the video’s the trailers do not have shocks installed. I have already added the shock kit and it does a great job. My concern is there is a weight difference on each wheel and I want to level it out but at the same time I don’t want to negate the positive affect of the shocks.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Anyone done this?

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...cks-72769.html
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Thanks but in that thread only one person Nathan S had shocks installed and he never posted a review or picture of the installation of the SS.