Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I am surprised at the negativity for this idea. As mentioned by a few people above this would be a easy mod. Yes cutting into your roof is a bit nerve wracking but it is actually an easy thing do do. I cut a hole for a new vent fan where there was no framing for one and have often thought about adding a skylight over our kitchen.

Send Jayco an email with your VIN and get the roof drawings. These will show the framing and AC ducts.

If you want a skylight for more light get one! Don't let the negativity here dissuade you.

Here are a few pictures of the roof construction if you are interested.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...oof-35200.html

Cheers
I agree about the negativity. While many factory skylights are apparently cheap garbage, good ones can be found, such as smaller ones used on S&B homes.

I personally would never install a skylight simply because I live in a hot climate and they let in far too much heat. But that doesn't mean people who camp in regions with milder climates than the AZ desert wouldn't like them. It's a decision individuals have to make for themselves based on their own circumstances.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crablad View Post
Before it was just so dark in the kitchen area. Now 🌞🌞
Same with ours... it was like a cave. Not anymore.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
If you are talking about Installing roof vents (by owner, not dealer), I've done two of them, sealed with EternaBond and no problems at all. Both were installed about 3 years ago. I also "punched" a bunch of holes (16 of them) in the roof to install two solar panels and have had no problems and don't expect to. No fear, if it's done correctly
Did you get a roof construction layout from Jayco? I want to mount 2 solar panels on my 23rlsw. Probably 16 holes
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbob View Post
Did you get a roof construction layout from Jayco? I want to mount 2 solar panels on my 23rlsw. Probably 16 holes
Bob
I did get the layout from Jayco but only for the roof vent installations. I used these items to attach the solar panels to the roof. They expand during installation an are self-sealing and very secure (but I still used EternaBond for extra protection).
I also have a few pictures on my home page.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160716_113141502.jpg  
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I did get the layout from Jayco but only for the roof vent installations. I used these items to attach the solar panels to the roof. They expand during installation an are self-sealing and very secure (but I still used EternaBond for extra protection).
I also have a few pictures on my home page.
Thanks for the get back I'll take a look at your home page.
Did you use these on the plywood roof and not worry about trying to hit the roof trusses. I would prefer that
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbob View Post
Did you use these on the plywood roof and not worry about trying to hit the roof trusses.
Bob
Exactly. If you go to renogy.com then "downloads", and go to page 24 of the "off-grid solar kit general" manual, it tells about this fastening system. They also have information on where to purchase the well nuts and the specs on the stainless machine screws. I found this way of fastening much more secure than running a wood screw through 3/8" construction Pylwood.
Good luck with your install.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote