Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #1

Skylight addition

I have a 2016 26 BH and my wife would like to know if it would be possible to add a skylight (like the one over the tub) in the ceiling between the table and the oven. I would rather have a Fan-tastic roof vent there myself. She wants more natural light, I'd like better ventilation, so light it will be...
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

Honestly, I hate skylights. One more leak possibility, usually they're cheap crap unless you get an acrylic upgrade, and they let in a ton of heat in the wrong place during the wrong time of year.

But, you asked. Probably not framed for it, but contacting Jayco with the VIN might confirm a yes or no on that one. I think you have the better idea of putting a functional vent in that area. Now that is doable, provided you cut in the right place. Jayco can also provide a ceiling structure schematic for you, which would help in the "where to cut" question. Cut, brace up a little, pull some 12v from an existing light and walla.

I'd stick with your idea if at all possible. A little light that could be blanked off with a 14" pillow, yet still be used to ventilate when needed.

Page 5 of my thread shows what I did with my living room skylight.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...e-30052-5.html
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #3

The 'Elite' option for your 2016 26BH includes a skylight in the kitchen. You might have the framing for an 'easy' installation.

We have the skylight in our Jay Flight and really like it. Of course being an additional heat source is an issue sometimes, but on many days it really brightens up the place.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:31 AM   #4

I have to agree with BigJohnD on this. I always figure the fewer holes punched through the outer skin, the better. One less place for leaks to develop.

In 2017, a long skylight was an option. I'm happy my new 23RB did not have that option.

As far as adding one, I'm sure it's probably possible. With enough money most things can get done. I doubt there is any framing there for a skylight. Jayco should be able to supply you with the "blue prints" of that portion of the roof. The biggest thing, after making sure the roof remains strong, is to avoid the central AC duct, and any wiring that might be in the area.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #5

Contact Jayco with your VIN and Model Number. Ask them for the roof plans and they will send you a PDF with how it was built. I know mine had an optional fan for the kitchen/living room area so they frame it for that. A Skylight is pretty easy to install. A fan is more difficult because you need to get power to it. You might be able to pull power from a nearby light but the problem with that (in my case anyhow) is my main lights near where my camper is framed for the optional fan are all switched off the main light switch as you walk in which is nice. If I wanted to run the fan I would have to leave that on and turn off each light individually. While I can reach them, my kids can't but they can reach the main light switch. Depending on the location you might be able to pull power from where the main switch panel is but it is a pain to try and pull that wire.

The disadvantages to adding this is sure it is another point of a possible leak but it isn't like there are no holes in the roof anyhow. You should be up there inspecting them every now and then anyhow and resealing them. It isn't that big of a deal to do one more. Also a lot of people complain that the skylights are not well insulated and it is another source of letting heat into the camper. That is going to be more of an issue of where you live and where you camp. It is more of an issue in the South vs someone who might camp in the mountains of Montana. If someone is always at full hookups where they can run the AC I get wanting to skip it. We dry camp quite often and I don't want to run the generator to get AC if I don't have to. A couple fans will run a long time on 12V.

There is no right or wrong answer to this. I would also like to add that fan to the main living area. It was only a $70 option a the factory when the camper was built. It is the one option my camper doesn't have that I wish it did.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #6

You could install a standard frosted 14X14 "fan-less" vent. Easier to install, no need for power and you get the light transmission with the benefit of opening it for venting.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #7

skylight? Really?

bad idea cutting a hole in your roof. trailers & rev's sometime in their life with out proper TLC will leak!

plz reconsider.
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #8

Thank you for all the input. My next option before poking any holes in the roof (which is now way down the list) will be to figure out how to make the interior not so dark. Maybe a new pseudo backsplash and/or some mirrors. Any ideas? I do miss the light that was mounted under the cabinet over the dining table in my Puma.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #9

Not hard to add a lot more LED lighting here and there. Under the upper cabinets, above slide out fascia etc.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:22 AM   #10

Never heard anyone do it aftermarket and have much good to say. I think this is one of those things that you either get when you buy it from the dealer (so it's under warranty) or you're locked into not having it...
kalon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
bad idea cutting a hole in your roof. trailers & rev's sometime in their life with out proper TLC will leak!

plz reconsider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalon17 View Post
Never heard anyone do it aftermarket and have much good to say. I think this is one of those things that you either get when you buy it from the dealer (so it's under warranty) or you're locked into not having it...
I disagree. I've cut holes in all kinds of roofs all my life and never had problems with leaks. You do have to know what you are doing but it's not at all difficult to find out how to do so correctly and to then do it. In fact, it's possible to do a better job than the factory. Maintenance on a properly done penetration one makes themselves is no different than the maintenance on factory penetrations.

The hardest part of adding a skylight, a vent, etc. on an RV is finding where the roof trusses run and making sure there are no obstructions, such as wiring or ductwork, in the way of where you want to make the penetration. Power for a fan, if needed, would be an added complication but not one that would be insurmountable in most cases (foam insulation would be a possible exception). If making a penetration in a location that hasn't been preframed by the factory simply means one would have to add framing between the trusses, which would be a bit tedious but not difficult and can be done from within the opening.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #12

Quote:
If you are talking about Installing roof vents (by owner, not dealer), I've done two of them, sealed with EternaBond and no problems at all. Both were installed about 3 years ago. I also "punched" a bunch of holes (16 of them) in the roof to install two solar panels and have had no problems and don't expect to. No fear, if it's done correctly
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Of course being an additional heat source is an issue sometimes, but on many days it really brightens up the place.
As oldmanAZ indicated, were there is LIGHT (from the sun), there is HEAT. The temperature in the area of the sky-light above our tub hits 120+ degrees when the sun passes over it. I have a piece of 3/4" insulation board that we use if we were dry camping without AC, for the sky-light... works great!

Was going to add a second sky-light, but the heat generated from it killed that idea.

We have 12 real bright LED's in the ceiling lights and leave them on during the day/night.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #14

If the OP wants to start with some lights there are lots of battery operated under-cabinet lighting options which would work well so you don't have to mess with trying to power them.

I also agree that especially if you talk to Jayco and get the roof plans adding a vent or skylight where one was originally designed to go isn't a big deal at all. Powering a vent would be more of an issue but in terms of leaks and stuff like that I wouldn't worry about it much. It isn't like we are talking about a roof that doesn't already have a bunch of holes in it for the AC, bathroom vent, TV antenna, radio antenna, Black & Grey tank vents not to mention the seal along the front and back where the roof starts and ends. All of these need to be inspected and maintained anyhow. I don't see the issue in dealing with one more. It isn't something I would do with a hand saw and duct tape. But with the right tools, supplies and knowledge it can be done as good if not better than factory because you would be more willing to take your time to do it right.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #15

I am surprised at the negativity for this idea. As mentioned by a few people above this would be a easy mod. Yes cutting into your roof is a bit nerve wracking but it is actually an easy thing do do. I cut a hole for a new vent fan where there was no framing for one and have often thought about adding a skylight over our kitchen.

Send Jayco an email with your VIN and get the roof drawings. These will show the framing and AC ducts.

If you want a skylight for more light get one! Don't let the negativity here dissuade you.

Here are a few pictures of the roof construction if you are interested.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...oof-35200.html

Cheers
Old 08-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I am surprised at the negativity for this idea. As mentioned by a few people above this would be a easy mod. Yes cutting into your roof is a bit nerve wracking but it is actually an easy thing do do. I cut a hole for a new vent fan where there was no framing for one and have often thought about adding a skylight over our kitchen.

Send Jayco an email with your VIN and get the roof drawings. These will show the framing and AC ducts.

If you want a skylight for more light get one! Don't let the negativity here dissuade you.

Here are a few pictures of the roof construction if you are interested.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...oof-35200.html

Cheers

It's a negative themed post, because it's a terrible idea. [emoji28]

But seriously.... the acrylic crap that the major RV suppliers provide are garbage after only 4 seasons.

I had ice and snow crash through my 32" kitchen skylight because the UV had deteriorated the plastic so much.
I ended up purchasing a "custom" lexan skylight from a company in Maine.

They claim lexan is UV stabile enough to remain "unbreakable" for the life of the trailer.

The skylight 32"x 21" with a 4" dome set me back well over $100 shipped.

Of course, I also purchased a replacement for over the shower. I'll get around to that job soon.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #17

I installed my 9 months ago and would do it again in a heartbeat.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Never heard anyone do it aftermarket and have much good to say.
Adding the skylight in the kitchen is def the best mod I've done.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I am surprised at the negativity for this idea. As mentioned by a few people above this would be a easy mod.
Totally agree!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #20

Well we had a skylight installed in our Eagle 31.5 RLTS and I LOVE it....made all the difference. Before it was just so dark in the kitchen area. Now 🌞🌞
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote