Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Smart Tile backspash - how is it holding up?

DW is wanting to put up a tile backsplash behind and to the side the stove in our TT. The peel & stick vinyl or "Smart Tiles" seem to be a good choice. I've read lots of posts from folks who did this. Everyone seems pleased with the results and ease of installation.

My question is how is the backsplash holding up after a few years? Specifically, I'm curious about two things:
1. The manufacturer recommends not using Smart Tile within 15 inches of the stove. If this is a problem, it's obviously a deal breaker. To those of you who have violated that "rule" has it been a problem.
2. We don't normally get the extreme heat in the summer or prolonged sub-zero temps in the winter, but in Kansas it does get plenty hot in the summer and plenty cold in the winter. Has anyone had any issues with the peel and stick stuff falling off the wall.

Your thoughts?

TIA.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #2

Did mine 3 years ago and it's held up fine through Indiana winters/summers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	47344

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	47345
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #3

I know you are asking about the vinyl peel-and-stick, but we considered those and went with a light metal subway peel-and-stick, partly for the “stove” reason. Plus, we like the stainless steel better than vinyl. I installed with some daps of construction cement in addition to the tiles’ stickiness and they have held great. Our TT sits in summer heat with weeks of temps at 100*-115* and no problems. Winters rarely get below 30* so no problem there. The brand we went with are Aspect — lots of choices and very lightweight: https://diydecorstore.com/backsplash-gallery-metal
Attached Thumbnails
9E6C7CC9-C94E-40BC-B345-B1DA3E1748BD.jpg   33CA0B13-6539-4ADB-B733-83B036425E4E.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #4

Too New To Know

I installed the exact material as a stove top surround as well. I also saw the warning about proximity to burners. Not worried to much about heat behind as the glass top folds back to shield extreme heat. Considered the steel square style but wanted more contrast, already a lot of "stainless steel" looking appliances onboard. Project picture isn't complete as I installed another band on top, (additional 6 rows of tile) to finish it. Overall Im satisfied but keep in mind this material is very unforgiving - once it's down it's down for good, no adjustments allowed. So measure 3 or 4 times with some dry fitting. Also it's somewhat fragile as it's essentially a paper photo print glued to transparent vinyl. I've not had it installed long enough to see if heat or cold will affect adhesion. Hopefully it's still attached to the walls in 5 months when we open back up.
Attached Thumbnails
Backsplash.jpg  
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #5

I did mine last June (2019) and in the hot humid summers here in Ottawa, it has held up nicely. I'm not sure if we are 15" from the buriners; however, we don't really use the stove inside.
Attached Thumbnails
20190629_212119222_iOS.jpg  

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
I did mine last June (2019) and in the hot humid summers here in Ottawa, it has held up nicely. I'm not sure if we are 15" from the buriners; however, we don't really use the stove inside.
That looks nice! Colby, is that the original faucet, or did you replace it along the way? Ours looks nice but it sure is flimsy.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
That looks nice! Colby, is that the original faucet, or did you replace it along the way? Ours looks nice but it sure is flimsy.
It is the original, I am waiting for the neck to snap off one day when someone is swiveling from sink to sink. I want to replace them both. Might do the bathroom this spring

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #8

Peel and stick comes off in cold weather

Our peel and stick from Lowes came off as soon as we hit winter here in the Northwest. Not sure how to keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
DW is wanting to put up a tile backsplash behind and to the side the stove in our TT. The peel & stick vinyl or "Smart Tiles" seem to be a good choice. I've read lots of posts from folks who did this. Everyone seems pleased with the results and ease of installation.

My question is how is the backsplash holding up after a few years? Specifically, I'm curious about two things:
1. The manufacturer recommends not using Smart Tile within 15 inches of the stove. If this is a problem, it's obviously a deal breaker. To those of you who have violated that "rule" has it been a problem.
2. We don't normally get the extreme heat in the summer or prolonged sub-zero temps in the winter, but in Kansas it does get plenty hot in the summer and plenty cold in the winter. Has anyone had any issues with the peel and stick stuff falling off the wall.

Your thoughts?

TIA.
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:53 AM   #9

We've had the peel & stick up for three years now and love it - no issues whatsoever.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Our peel and stick from Lowes came off as soon as we hit winter here in the Northwest. Not sure how to keep it up.
Ours was the light metal subway peel-and-stick, but I put dabs of Loctite construction adhesive on the back as well. Still holding in hot and cold weather. It was in the tile section at Lowes.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:54 AM   #11

Looks great! I just bought some of this peal and stick tile for my TT. I was wondering how you cut the radius around the windows?
Rubber Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #12

Destuck

Our peel amd stick came off due to cold and dampness here in the NW, had to use silicon to stick on

QUOTE=Toad;917073]Our peel and stick from Lowes came off as soon as we hit winter here in the Northwest. Not sure how to keep it up.[/QUOTE]
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #13

Thanks, good to know. I think I'll wait till spring to put up mine.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Man View Post
Looks great! I just bought some of this peal and stick tile for my TT. I was wondering how you cut the radius around the windows?
I made a template holding paper up there and traced it. Cut it out then transferred it to thicker cardboard to transfer onto the back of the tile. Check that the template will match all corners, they may be a little different.
I used the Tic Tac brand Tiles from Amazon. Sticky as heck.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #15

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the info.