Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Aurora CO
Posts: 2,336
Solar expansion

Finally got the second 100 watt panel installed today.

Chose to place it at the oposite end of the roof to increase odds of taking sunlight when in a shaded campsite.

Renogy " plug and play" adapters work great right out of the box.

Used some puddles of alpha caulk along the cable run to secure cables between two panels, and a wire tie to the AC box at mid point.

I should be producing 14 amps per hour charge rate to my battery array, so on a good day close to 85 amps of charge rate. YEA!

And I sold my generator this week, so I am now officially off the grid

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	18234
__________________

__________________
Jim & Kim from Colorado

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upperco, Md.
Posts: 803
You got more guts then me. That genny to me, is like Charlie Brown and his blanket. A measure of security. Happy that works for you. I'm kind of sneaking up on this solar thing with a suitcase style panel arrangement. Back here in the east, there are just too many trees that I want to park under to convince myself that I need them on the roof.
__________________

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mustang65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL area
Posts: 3,671
Nice job!!! Keep us updated on how they perform.

Don
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Aurora CO
Posts: 2,336
I'm carrying 320 amps of battery power
__________________
Jim & Kim from Colorado

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
rodro123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 458
This couple the Wynn's have 900 AMPS on the roof this is there latest you tube video
__________________
Rod & Linda From Wisconsin
1- Labs (Ronnie)
2018 Eagle 330 RSTS
2015 Chevy Silverrado 2500
14,000#/1400 Equal-i-zer 4-way sway bars
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 796
I am far from an expert but have you calculated your voltage losses with those long wire runs?
Voltage Drop Calculator

Also that front panel looks like it could be shadowed from your Maxair vent cover. That will really reduce the output of that panel. Hard to tell from the picture though.

I have been doing a lot of reading about solar lately as I just ordered a system for our trailer.

The basic consensus is......

Build for no more than 3% voltage drop from the panels to the battery. Short runs with big wires.
Shadows really kill output or potentially drop it to zero even if only one cell out of 36 in the panel is shaded.
Get a programmable charge controller so you can adjust the charge voltage based on battery manufacturer recommendations. Often need 14.8v to battery to fully charge it.

Also 200W of panels is not really enough to keep 320amp/hours of capacity charged.
Check out this resource if you haven't already. Really good information if you can get past all the ranting!
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

Cheers
__________________
2014 Jayco Swift 281BHS, 300W Solar!
2015 F250 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab, Short box, 6.2 gas
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Member
 
Timon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tustin
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
This couple the Wynn's have 900 AMPS on the roof this is there latest you tube video
Actually that's 900 watts not amps.

Can't say I'm in love where they put the batteries. I wouldn't put them under the steps, much better to keep them on the DS IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I am far from an expert but have you calculated your voltage losses with those long wire runs?
Voltage Drop Calculator

Also that front panel looks like it could be shadowed from your Maxair vent cover. That will really reduce the output of that panel. Hard to tell from the picture though.

I have been doing a lot of reading about solar lately as I just ordered a system for our trailer.

The basic consensus is......

Build for no more than 3% voltage drop from the panels to the battery. Short runs with big wires.
Shadows really kill output or potentially drop it to zero even if only one cell out of 36 in the panel is shaded.
Get a programmable charge controller so you can adjust the charge voltage based on battery manufacturer recommendations. Often need 14.8v to battery to fully charge it.

Also 200W of panels is not really enough to keep 320amp/hours of capacity charged.
Check out this resource if you haven't already. Really good information if you can get past all the ranting!
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

Cheers
They Wynn's run the panels in series so the current draw is less that 8 amps from the panels. Any voltage drop amounts to a very small loss when running in series.
__________________
John (N6BER), Joyce, Lucas (Golden Retriever mix) & Bella (Great Pyrenees)
Tustin, CA
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 222
Actually its Linus & his blanket

I have two small panels I use b/c I got them surplus cheap use them to keep the 12v battery charged, but thinking of putting in a bigger system. Portable system that folds up sounds good to me but its a hassle and more likely to get stolen / setup hassles, power cord. But you could be under a tree shade.

Still thinking about what I need, as I can boondock w/o a big system as I'm doing short trips for now in the winter here in warm TX and when hooked up don't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
You got more guts then me. That genny to me, is like Charlie Brown and his blanket. A measure of security. Happy that works for you. I'm kind of sneaking up on this solar thing with a suitcase style panel arrangement. Back here in the east, there are just too many trees that I want to park under to convince myself that I need them on the roof.
__________________
New to me 27BH towed by 4.6 Tundra
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Actually that's 900 watts not amps.

Can't say I'm in love where they put the batteries. I wouldn't put them under the steps, much better to keep them on the DS IMHO.


They Wynn's run the panels in series so the current draw is less that 8 amps from the panels. Any voltage drop amounts to a very small loss when running in series.
Running panels in series has its own issues. Any shade or shadow and all your panels are affected. I would much rather have them wired in parallel. You also need a specific charge controller that can handle the higher voltage and some efficiency is lost in lowering that voltage to charge your 12 volt battery. But yes higher volts and lower amps will reduce your voltage drops but it creates other problems.
__________________
2014 Jayco Swift 281BHS, 300W Solar!
2015 F250 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab, Short box, 6.2 gas
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #10
Member
 
Timon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tustin
Posts: 51
That's the common believe but it's not totally correct. If one panel gets shaded it basically drops out of the loop but the others still supply power to the solar controller but at a lower voltage. This happens because of the bypass diode located in each panel. Still shading will always causes issues.

In the real world you normally only use solar when boondocking so you try to position your coach to catch the best sun all day. If you're in heavenly wooded area solar won't help much so it doesn't matter.

I'll stay with a series connection as it's much more efficient than parallel connections.
__________________

__________________
John (N6BER), Joyce, Lucas (Golden Retriever mix) & Bella (Great Pyrenees)
Tustin, CA
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.