Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #1

Some 174BH mods I completed thus far

I built a couple shelves above both ends of the bed so that my wife and I can read at night with reading lights, and I installed a dual USB port and a regular 12volt cigarette lighter port in the shelf as well. The shelve with the head board lights is low enough that my wife and I can reach up to grab items eg. glasses, phones and .380 pistol if we need it in a hurry. We face the door when we sleep, so having a gun in quick reach is handy. At the other end of the bed is a smaller shelf which I installed a 12volt time clock with inside/outside temp and voltage monitor in it; I also have room for some little extras like my Amazon Fire on this shelf. I opted for the roof mount air which is 13500btu instead of the 8000btu window unit that would be above our head had we gone that way. I didn't like the idea of the window unit being on the end where we sleep and therefore getting too cool on one end of the trailer without good air circulation to the rest of the trailer. However, the one thing I didn't think about was the noise from the 13500 btu blower motor forcing air through the plenum. This a/c puts out some air and noise along with it! When the wife and I want to watch tv in bed, you can barely hear the 15"tv we have. So, in an effort to remedy this situation, I will be adding a 20" sound bar to the bottom of the shelf I just made. I also made a couple of 3.5" deep drop in drawers under one of the dinette seats which I keep tools, small parts for the trailer etc in. If I need more drawers, I'll make two more for under the other dinette seat. I just completed removing the cabinet fill plate above the radio and cubby holed that area in for holding remotes and small accessories. I used the paneling that "was" under our stove area to fill in the cubby hole above the radio. I said "was" under our stove area because I removed the slanted wall panel Jayco installed to hide two 12 volt electric lines for the black or grey tank and the rubber gas line for the two burner stove. Once I removed this panel under the sink, then I was able to open the area up nicely for an 8 gallon trash can. On the other side of the cabinet I built two pull-out drawers, one for a silverware drawer and one for longer cooking tools. The pantry and one drawer at the bottom all received 12 volt LED lights. When you open up the pantry door, there is one mounted rocker switch to turn off/on the lights in all the cabinets. I thought about using a door switch but decided I didn't like the idea of a door coming open while traveling and leaving all the lights on. Just figured I'd share some ideas with other 174BH owners out there since these 174BH's are relatively new.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0210 (1).jpg   IMG_0216.jpg   IMG_0211.jpg   IMG_0212.jpg   IMG_0213.jpg  

Fire&Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #2

Picked up our 174BH this spring. Looks like you just added some more items to my " To Do" list! The trays under the dinette seat is a great idea.
oeastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing! Looks like you added some things to my honey do as well!

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote