Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #1

Smile Source for shelf stock?

I want to add (more) shelves in a couple of my cabinets. Can someone suggest a retail source for pre-finished stock material from which I can make (somewhat) matching shelves?
DaSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #2

Can you post a picture of what you want to replicate?

I modified wire shelves and used them. I liked the idea that air could flow around stuff.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkipper View Post
I want to add (more) shelves in a couple of my cabinets. Can someone suggest a retail source for pre-finished stock material from which I can make (somewhat) matching shelves?

Lowes and Home Depot.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #4

I used 1/2 hardwood ply, 1x1s for cleats, and dark walnut stain. Mine cabinets weren’t square or plumb, so it was a bit of an aggravating project.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:25 AM   #5

Adding camper shelves

I used the same in mine but used 1x2 (.75” x 1.5”) for shelf supports. I also used some ornamental trim to cover the end grain of the plywood. On one of the other shelves I attached a piece of 1x2 oak to cover the end grain of the shelf.
skiingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Lowes and Home Depot.
I found at Menards (closer than Lowes and Home Depot at this time) some laminated shelving close enough to the color needed and am in the process of chopping them down to the needed sizes/pieces. Hadn't thought of this approach. Perhaps I will post a couple of pics when I finish. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:50 AM   #7

I'd like to do something like this too.

How did you attach the cleats to the side of the cabinet? Finish nails, staples, glue? Did you cover the mechanical fasteners up with wood putty when you were finished to hide the work from the outside or do something else?

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post

How did you attach the cleats to the side of the cabinet? Finish nails, staples, glue? Did you cover the mechanical fasteners up with wood putty when you were finished to hide the work from the outside or do something else?
I'm collecting and prepping the stock while staying with a family member who has a better table saw than I do. I plan to do the install when I return home (probably in August). I will post some pics (before and after) and provide answers to your questions at that time. Best regards.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:

I’ve reinforced some of my existing shelves with 1x2 cleats stained to match. I glued the cleats and used very small brads or brass screws, countersunk. Put a dab of brown craft paint on the heads and you don’t see them.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:

I use a pocket hole jig, and screwed the cleats to the inside of the cabinet frames. You would have to be looking really hard for the screws to see them under a shelf.
2x Honda 2K
Old 07-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #11

Why not use a shelf clips like residential cabinets, oh yeah talking RVs so maybe the cabinet sidewalls will not support them as a 1/2" thickness would be needed
Attached Images

Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Why not use a shelf clips like residential cabinets, oh yeah talking RVs so maybe the cabinet sidewalls will not support them as a 1/2" thickness would be needed

I actually though about this, and contemplated installing strips to support the adjustable shelf. Ultimately I mocked it up in cardboard, and let the boss(DW) decide where she wanted them.
2x Honda 2K
Old 07-21-2020, 06:41 PM   #13
eow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post

Those are the shelf clips I used for a couple of low weight bearing shelves I added in the MB cabinet above the night stand. Probably not going to work for heavily loaded shelves and thin walls.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkipper View Post
I found at Menards (closer than Lowes and Home Depot at this time) some laminated shelving close enough to the color needed and am in the process of chopping them down to the needed sizes/pieces. Hadn't thought of this approach. Perhaps I will post a couple of pics when I finish. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I used laminated stock to somewhat match the existing material and to support easy cleaning. The first pic shows the new shelf added at the top of the drawer. The drawer front could not be removed so a small piece was added inside to support the front end. The shelf is stapled to the back panel, the drawer back, and the insert at the front. The second pic shows the drawer in place in the bathroom.
The third pic shows a small shelf added at the back of the pantry to hold spices. This shelf, made from leftovers (both new shelves made from single 36 inch x 8 inch x 3/4 inch shelf stock), sets on supports screwed to the sides like the existing shelves. The lip at the front of the shelf is stapled, and the staples touched up with finish repair stick.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom drawer - new shelf install.jpg   Bathroom drawer - new shelf.jpg   Spice shelf.jpg  
Old 08-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #15

Very nice work.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #16

I used 3/16" luan plywood. I think that's what Jayco used. I cut shelves to fit and used 3/4" square support pieces. All were sanded, stained to match, and varnished. The support pieces are screwed in place with shelves stapled to the supports. You really can't tell my shelves from what Jayco made except I used more fasteners. It was difficult to find a matching stain. My camper has a dark wood stain. Varathane Kona looked closest. I found that rubbing the stain in with a cloth pretty much matched the finish Jayco used.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pre-finished, shelf stock