Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #1

Question Spice Rack Under Front of Sink - 26BH (and others)

When I was researching the Jay Flight 26BH's before we bought ours, I noticed that there was a spice rack under the sink. I thought that this was a pretty clever use of this space. When we went and looked at the new ones I noticed that this little feature had been deleted for yet another blank panel... See pics below.

It seems as though the 26BH had the spice rack up until about 2012.

In my quest to utilize as much as the blank spaces that are available, I was wondering how many people that have the spice rack actually use it, for spices or other things? I know it isn't a lot of space, but it could be used.

Do you think it would be a worth while endeavor?

I have found a couple of threads where people put in their own spice rack in that space.

Has anyone else done this, or added a flip out holder like what is available for home sink cabinets? It seems pretty tight (3-4" between sink and cabinet) and would be concerned on how to mount it from the back of the face frame. Maybe clamp and wood glue would be enough since there would not be a lot of weight.

Has anyone had to replace or have a part number for the spice rack?

I could probably get the wood and railing at the local lumbar yard, but would like to try to utilize the factory stuff if possible first.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts / comments!

Duke
Attached Thumbnails
2012 26BH Kitchen Area.jpg   2016 26BH Kitchen Area.jpg  
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #2

Yes, we have the spice rack on our 2012 trailer. And we do use it for spices and a couple of other doo-dads. (Small bottle of dishwashing liquid, plastic cup that holds a scrubby, etc.) It is just deep enough to hold the store-bought spice containers well. And we have it filled so they don't tip over to the side.

Another wasted space is the panel above the microwave. We haven't done anything with it yet, but others here have opened it up and surprisingly it is just empty space. They put spare paper towels and paper plates in there.

For extra storage space, we also added two wire baskets that we attached to the bottom of the cabinets by the sofa.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Yes, we have the spice rack on our 2012 trailer. And we do use it for spices and a couple of other doo-dads. (Small bottle of dishwashing liquid, plastic cup that holds a scrubby, etc.) It is just deep enough to hold the store-bought spice containers well. And we have it filled so they don't tip over to the side.

Another wasted space is the panel above the microwave. We haven't done anything with it yet, but others here have opened it up and surprisingly it is just empty space. They put spare paper towels and paper plates in there.
Thank you for the reply! Yes, this and a couple others are on my list to tackle. I guess on the older models where the blank panel was the same finish as the cabinets, it did not stand out as much, but now that they are painted black, it sticks out more.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

Mine is full of spices and herbs, end to end. Too bad Jayco deleted that feature on the new models. And I like the idea of using the wasted space above the microwave. I'll have to look into that one.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #5

[QUOTE=SmokerBill;386748]Mine is full of spices and herbs, end to end. Too bad Jayco deleted that feature on the new models.

X2 and the best part is that they don't fall out or tip over when traveling. It takes up zero space in the TT, what a shame it's gone in many of the models.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
X2 and the best part is that they don't fall out or tip over when traveling. It takes up zero space in the TT, what a shame it's gone in many of the models.
Ya, I bet that by leaving that out Jayco might have saved enough time to put one extra unit out per year. Might have saved enough in time and materials to pay for one, too. Oh, but the joy they are denying many!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #7

Spice Rack Under Front of Sink - 26BH (and others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post

I would love to see some pics or links to the space above the microwave opened up. Does anyone know if there is a shelf in there already or does it have to be added? Probably have to take the microwave out to work in this area?

Edit: just found a pic courtesy of blderman that he did on his 23MBH:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457918257.836926.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	22612
Old 03-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
Site Team

We also use the spice rack for........spices.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
I would love to see some pics or links to the space above the microwave opened up. Does anyone know if there is a shelf in there already or does it have to be added? Probably have to take the microwave out to work in this area?

Edit: just found a pic courtesy of blderman that he did on his 23MBH:
Attachment 22612
Excellent idea! I'm going to copy it, but also add a lip to the front edge so things won't jostle out when on the road. It would make a dandy spot for a row of wine bottles!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #10

I loved the spice rack in our 2010 24 rks. Will miss it in the new White Hawk.

Tags
cabinet, kitchen, sink, spice rack, storage