Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #1

Stereo isn't working

The stereo isn't working in my 2002 Jayco Eagle 272 FKS. The LCD display won't light. The CD player and AM FM radio won't play either. If you connect an I Pod to it, it will play that. I would like to repair this stereo rather than replace it with a new one. Thank you.
dthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #2

I'm guessing that this is one of the Jensen models, based on the age. I've had two of them. First one just stopped playing CDs. Second one is brand new and working good. If I ever have to replace/repair one of these I'm going with a good quality car stereo.
As far as yours goes, I'm going to say that "part" of it died, like my CD player. It allows the ipod to pass through but seems to have no power of its own (LCD or amplifier). They are expensive, that's for certain, but I'd not buy another one. From what I've heard the newer Jaycos have gone to a Sony.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #3

If it not simply a connection problem, repairing will be a much more costly route. IMO I would reconsider repair vs replace, based on model year it's 12-13 years old stero -- how does that compare with the age of electronics in you home currently? Thes things are expected to last a lifetime anymore. My '12 Jensen stopped spinning CDs, still under warranty, but even the MFG just replaced it rather than attempt a repair.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
If it not simply a connection problem, repairing will be a much more costly route. IMO I would reconsider repair vs replace, based on model year it's 12-13 years old stero -- ...
I agree. My 2001 stereo was not powering the right side speaker. I priced RV replacement units and found them fairly expensive for the features included. My thought was to buy a DIN head unit for a car and make an adapter cover plate for the installation.

The advantages as I see them:
* Availability
* Cost
* In many cases better quality
* Easier future upgrade or replacement
* Features such as Ipod connectivity, front access audio input, USB, remote control, etc. are common even in cheaper units.

Disadvantages:
* Non OEM trailer look.
* Likely no earphone capability
* Need to fabricate cover plate/custom installation

As it turned out I just spritzed some WD-40 into the earphone jack and moved a 1/8" plug in and out quickly a few times. That restored the speaker operation so I haven't replaced the unit.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Still don't know if this is a Jensen, but if it is, my old one that stopped spinning discs had a master reset feature. Jensen had me try that but it didn't help. Might be worth a try. Don't ask me how it's done, would need to research in the manual.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #6

These Jensen units have a faulty belt that drives the CD/DVD. You can YouTube the repair. As for the LCD screen, could be a loose connection inside.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #7

The time, effort, and cost to repair something that old isn't worth it. For $100 you can put in a new head unit that's far better quality. Call Crutchfield and talk to one of their techs. They should be able to supply you with a generic mounting kit that will adapt to the opening in your trailer. I put in my own on our old '03 Kiwi with a generic mounting kit.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote