Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2016, 01:30 AM   #1

Stereo Mods

I'm curious what some of you have done as far as stereo modifications.
I just bought a 28BHBE and I'm already considering upgrading the speakers inside and out.. I'd also like to add a sub (nothing crazy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GregJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:14 AM   #2

Me too! Our speakers sound tiny. Looking to replace them with something with more UMPH!
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #3

So, we have the Furrion 1200DV. (I know there are different models, so I wanted to point that out.)
Only had the rig a couple of weeks, but from reading the manual, it has a 50watt sub amp built in. The wires are just hanging behind the unit. They are labeled sub+ and -. I added an 8" sub. Bought a Dayton Audio driver for $14 from PartsExpress and a pre-made box from Amazon for $20. Adds a little low end and sounds good for $34. I put it inethe space/shelf behind the TV. It is connected to the A set of speakers, and powers off if you only run B (Bedroom) or C (Outside).

I was also able to get much better sound by turning on the loudness function and adjusting the Bass and Treble. Instructions are in the manual. Not exactly intuitive until you have done it once.

With these changes, the system is not audiophile quality, but it is much better, and I don't think I will have to replace it or the speakers. I absolutely hated the sound as it comes by default.

Also, when power is totally disconnected (Battery Disconnect) from the unit, the Loudness/Bass/Treble/Equalizer are all reset to factory. Once you know the settings, it is like 10 seconds to reset everything. I also hate that all speakers are on after the power disconnect. This means I have to remember to turn off the outside set.

Outside speakers will sound better with the above mentioned changes but will never be the best sound just due to the size, and space limitations in mounting.

I have found the Bluetooth connection to be of poor sound quality, so we hook our phones to the unit for music via the 3.5mm headphone jack and AUX port on the front.

Also, cycling through the AUX inputs lets us put the TV sound through the RV speakers.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

Wow, I have the same Furrion 1200DV, gotta check on the manual and wiring. Having said that, I'm just delighted at having the entertainment center with so many features and functions - frankly I don't expect it to be a home theater!

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #5

Awesome, I'll look at doing the same.
We are quite a bit younger than most people we see at campgrounds, and we'll be camping at music festivals and races and such.. There is so much storage in our trailer, that I'm tempted to create an enclosure out of one of those spaces.
I have seen that some people have mounted a 10" sub under the sink facing the steps

Old 06-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #6

Old 06-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #7

My JayFlight 264BHW has a Dual brand head unit and some really poor sounding stock speakers. I replaced the stock speakers with Infinity 6.5" two-way, big difference. Ours didn't come with outside speakers which doesn't bother me, I'm sure other campers wouldn't want to hear my music.

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7 V8 trans cooler, elect fans, auto rear leveling system (bags) towing package. Rated to pull (according to dealer) 6700lbs.
Lakehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #8

Yeah the outside wouldn't be for at campgrounds. We own property on top of a mountain and have made a permanent campsite until we're ready to start building.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
So, we have the Furrion 1200DV. (I know there are different models, so I wanted to point that out.)
Only had the rig a couple of weeks, but from reading the manual, it has a 50watt sub amp built in. The wires are just hanging behind the unit. They are labeled sub+ and -. I added an 8" sub. Bought a Dayton Audio driver for $14 from PartsExpress and a pre-made box from Amazon for $20. Adds a little low end and sounds good for $34. I put it inethe space/shelf behind the TV. It is connected to the A set of speakers, and powers off if you only run B (Bedroom) or C (Outside).

I was also able to get much better sound by turning on the loudness function and adjusting the Bass and Treble. Instructions are in the manual. Not exactly intuitive until you have done it once.

With these changes, the system is not audiophile quality, but it is much better, and I don't think I will have to replace it or the speakers. I absolutely hated the sound as it comes by default.

Also, when power is totally disconnected (Battery Disconnect) from the unit, the Loudness/Bass/Treble/Equalizer are all reset to factory. Once you know the settings, it is like 10 seconds to reset everything. I also hate that all speakers are on after the power disconnect. This means I have to remember to turn off the outside set.

Outside speakers will sound better with the above mentioned changes but will never be the best sound just due to the size, and space limitations in mounting.

I have found the Bluetooth connection to be of poor sound quality, so we hook our phones to the unit for music via the 3.5mm headphone jack and AUX port on the front.

Also, cycling through the AUX inputs lets us put the TV sound through the RV speakers.

Hope some of this helps.
Sounds like a nice upgrade. Got any pics of the setup?

Thanks,
Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #10

removable outdoor speakers

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone has run into this or not but depending on the campsite where we're set up, at least half have the fire pit/picnic table at the back as opposed to on the side. With this set up you can't even hear the 2 weak speakers located on our 31FS. I was thinking of replacing with removable speakers that could be set up where we need to. Has anyone seen this or have another solution to this problem? I could just add a wireless speaker system but it's another thing to carry and set up and take down.

Thanks!
icandoallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by icandoallthings View Post
Hi, I'm not sure if anyone has run into this or not but depending on the campsite where we're set up, at least half have the fire pit/picnic table at the back as opposed to on the side. With this set up you can't even hear the 2 weak speakers located on our 31FS. I was thinking of replacing with removable speakers that could be set up where we need to. Has anyone seen this or have another solution to this problem? I could just add a wireless speaker system but it's another thing to carry and set up and take down.

Thanks!
In this situation, a Bluetooth speaker would be very handy.

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7 V8 trans cooler, elect fans, auto rear leveling system (bags) towing package. Rated to pull (according to dealer) 6700lbs.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:

Thanks!
We don't use our outside speakers ever, but I have certainly experienced campsites where the firepit is behind or even on the driver's side of the RV. Bad design in my opinion.

As for the speakers, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Removable exterior speakers? So you would have wires running from the side of your RV to where your firepit is? That doesn't sound like a very workable solution.

The wireless speakers, on the other hand, sound like an excellent solution. It doesn't seem like set up and take down of a wireless speaker system would be all that difficult.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
We don't use our outside speakers ever, but I have certainly experienced campsites where the firepit is behind or even on the driver's side of the RV. Bad design in my opinion.

As for the speakers, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Removable exterior speakers? So you would have wires running from the side of your RV to where your firepit is? That doesn't sound like a very workable solution.

The wireless speakers, on the other hand, sound like an excellent solution. It doesn't seem like set up and take down of a wireless speaker system would be all that difficult.
Ideally, it would be nice to have something like the kohler showerhead with removable speaker. The premise would be the same. Almost like the current speaker housing would be the dock for the speakers. Does that make sense?
icandoallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #14

Now that I think about bluetooth options.... I have a question.

Is there a bluetooth system that will receive a signal from the Furrion system? Essentially, it would allow they factory stereo to be played, and then an independent external bluetooth stereo outside the camper would also pickup the signal and play...

Is that even an option, or does the Furrion only receive bluetooth vs transmitting it?
Old 08-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #15

You can buy small units that plug into a headphone jack and transmit Bluetooth. You can find them on Amazon.

Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #16

What happen to camping under the stars and enjoying a quiet eve with family? TV n speakers stay at home guys!!!
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #17

That changes when you take it to music festivals!
Old 09-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #18

I love music and enjoy it everywhere I go. Yes I enjoy my quiet times camping but even a low music in the background is nice. Me and my friends float the rivers a lot and I build custom fiberglass and carbon fiber stereo units. I am already planning on upgrading my stereo in my Hummingbird after I take possession of it. This is one of the custom stereos we've built for the river

Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickeneye View Post
I love music and enjoy it everywhere I go. Yes I enjoy my quiet times camping but even a low music in the background is nice. Me and my friends float the rivers a lot and I build custom fiberglass and carbon fiber stereo units. I am already planning on upgrading my stereo in my Hummingbird after I take possession of it. This is one of the custom stereos we've built for the river

Thats cool! What size batteries do you use? What is the battery life with moderate sound levels?

Old 09-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #20

Quote:

Thanks!
Kicker makes a portable splashproof outdoor speaker called the Bullfrog Jump. Looks like they sell a lot of them.

Bullfrog Jump | KICKERĀ®