Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #1

Stereo speaker replacement

I have a 2007 Jayco Jay Flight with an iRV sound system. Having trouble finding a speaker replacement (they sound terrible). Currently the speakers are 6-1/2", 4" hole, 1-1/2" depth, 40 watt flush mount. The 1-1/2" depth is the problem. Can make the 4" hole bigger, but most speakers (worth anything/sound good), are deeper than 1-1/2".

Only thing I've considered is mounting not flush and finding one that has a cover to fit over.

One more question. Do I need to replace with the same wattage (40) or can I go a little higher, say 50-70watts (not 200+). I know it has much to do with the amperage of the iRV system (didn't come with a user manual) ability to push the speaker cone, but I'm only using in one zone (have 3) in the TT.
Momma's trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:15 PM   #2

Could you add a 1” ring to give you more depth. Could be made from wood or if you know someone with a 3D printer ( like my son) they could make a custom one for you.
Old 10-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #3

You need to know how many OHMs the speakers you have are and match to that.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:39 PM   #4

It is a flush mount under cabinets where the inside cabinet floor is 1-1/2" above the bottom wood of cabinet. Does that makes sense? Wires travel through that area. Yes, I thought about mounting a piece of wood below the cabinet, but it would be seen and bring the speaker down by an 1". I will do that if I can't find a speaker replacement.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #5

The original speakers are so cheap, everything is enclosed in molded plastic - even cables do not have connectors, it is hardwired and will have to cut wires, add connectors for a new speaker.

Only thing on the back of the speaker was a number that I googled to find out it was a 40 watt speaker, but didn't give the OHM's. I don't have the manual for the iRV stereo system (It's a 2007) and is hard to find anything about the amp. Might need to call iRV corp. But, I can't go wrong if I at least find a 40 watt speaker (I don't think). A new technology speaker might make all the difference.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:21 PM   #6

I would do a search on amazon or crutchfield for "6.5 low profile speakers"

Keep in mind that you need to be sure to measure correctly from the screw holes.
4 or 8 ohm would be fine and the wattage usually isn't a concern unless you are using a high power amp. ~CA

For example, this may be a good choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Low-Profile-W...s%2C178&sr=8-3
Old 10-02-2022, 01:52 PM   #7

Simple meter set to ohms and touched across the wire connections on the speaker should tell you the ohms of the speaker, unless they are truly fried. I have never seen a speaker that wasn't marked with it's rating on the magnet, but I don't read Chinese ether.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:55 PM   #8

WOW! Thank you. I think these will work.

As I mentioned, the old speaker is totally inside a molded plastic housing were I can't see the back of the speaker. I would have to saw it open to see + just a model # on the outside. But, no matter - I'm going to order these. It's from Amazon....can't go wrong or send back. Thank you so much. You're the best
Old 10-02-2022, 03:23 PM   #9

One more question. Didn't look real hard at dimensions as it stated 6.5. and depth looked to be ok. The whole housing on mine is 6.5, so speaker must be smaller - can't tell. The housing on this speaker is 7.3. Not a problem, just so it covers old screw holes, but the grill/housing on the back side around the new speaker is 5.3. The hole for current speaker is 4". I could easily cut that out bigger, but was wondering - is that grill around the speaker important for sound - or just protection? Could I just cut that off so the speaker itself will fit the whole?
Old 10-02-2022, 05:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma's trailer View Post
It is a flush mount under cabinets where the inside cabinet floor is 1-1/2" above the bottom wood of cabinet. Does that makes sense? Wires travel through that area. Yes, I thought about mounting a piece of wood below the cabinet, but it would be seen and bring the speaker down by an 1". I will do that if I can't find a speaker replacement.
https://www.parts-express.com/Pyle-P...Black-267-7442
Old 10-02-2022, 06:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma's trailer View Post
One more question. Didn't look real hard at dimensions as it stated 6.5. and depth looked to be ok. The whole housing on mine is 6.5, so speaker must be smaller - can't tell. The housing on this speaker is 7.3. Not a problem, just so it covers old screw holes, but the grill/housing on the back side around the new speaker is 5.3. The hole for current speaker is 4". I could easily cut that out bigger, but was wondering - is that grill around the speaker important for sound - or just protection? Could I just cut that off so the speaker itself will fit the whole?

I would suggest that your choices are a bit dependent on what you prefer. The sound from the factory stereos and speakers isn't what I would call high fidelity, but not bad. If you enlarge the hole then you would have more options and a larger speaker generally speaking will sound better than a smaller speaker. At low to medium volumes though both can sound relatively equal and pretty good overall being that they are close in size.

I would likely go with something that fits without cutting simply for the convenience factor. In any case, I would double check all the measurements before ordering. Commonly I have seen 4", 5.25", and 6.5" speakers for RV's. Take a diagonal measurement of your screw holes. 4" and 5.25" measure at the center of the diagonal screw holes on the speaker. The 6.5" speakers measures the entire speaker ring across so the screw holes are just a little less apart than 6.5".

For example here, the 5.25" takes a 4.7" hole and has a 6.4" same exterior dimension for the grill as you already have. However, If you choose the 4" option on the same link it will show you a 4" speaker that will fit the hole without cutting but only has a 5.25" overall width with the grill which may not be an issue. ~CA

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Marine-S...07FMMVVZ6?th=1

Tags
irv, sound, speakers