Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

Storage

I have 2 Honda 2000i gennys and have tried storing them in the front pass-thru storage on my 22FB. No matter what anyone says - you can really smell the gas and exhaust form them - when the trailer has set still for a couiple of hours.

First thought was to put a box on the back bumper - but was soon talked out of that on this forum - without a lot of extra work to strenghen the back bumper - which kills the warranty.

I got exicted when I saw the diamond plate tool boxs many have added to the front of the trailer. But none were the right size to hold the Hondas - and fit in the space between the front of the trailer and the propane tanks.

So I built my own boxes - they mount of the front tongue of the trailer - they are held up by two 2x2 metal shafts bolted to the tongue.

Also can now carry 2 batteries.

Not worried about tongue weight since the gennys used to ride up front anyway - plus I tow with a 3/4 ton that has 1 ton springs (used to carry a 4000 lb + truck camper).

I don't carry them in the back of the pickup because my two motorcycles take up all the room.

Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #2

Looks good. Does the truck come close to the boxes when doing a sharp turn while backing up. Again looks good.

2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Looks good. Does the truck come close to the boxes when doing a sharp turn while backing up. Again looks good.
I checked it out before I built the boxes - the bumper of the truck hits the propane cover before the boxes.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #4

Nice job I might have to copy that Idea.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
I checked it out before I built the boxes - the bumper of the truck hits the propane cover before the boxes.
Thats good I was worried about that. Good job.
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #6

Very cool mod. I also travel with 2 Honda 2000 and wish I had a place to carry them in/on the trailer. With my low cargo capacity I can't put 100 pounds of generators in/on my trailer.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #7

Jayco also make a slide out tray that bolts to the frame of the trailer. It will easily haul two generators. Cost when you buy a new trailer is around $450. Cost after the factory $750 plus freight and installation.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #8

Nice install - I am assuming you only store the generators here and when you need them you pull them out to use. As expensive as those things are I got to have them "out of sight" and secured to something.

I think I would put them in the bed of my truck after I was at a camp site and run them from the tail gate while still secured to the truck. My truck has the hard plastic folding bed lockable cover panels so this is my best spot to store the generators. My generators goes with me when I leave the camp site for supplies. Being "out of sight" is still the best defense.

I still have memories of camping at Elkmont Camp in the smoky mtns near Gatlinburg. I came back from a supply run and found a tree laying across the road. My neighbor camper had just got back from town himself and had left his generator chained to a small tree while he was gone. They cut the tree down to steal his Honda generator in broad daylight..
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Jayco also make a slide out tray that bolts to the frame of the trailer. It will easily haul two generators. Cost when you buy a new trailer is around $450. Cost after the factory $750 plus freight and installation.
Is there a web page where I can see the factory options?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
Is there a web page where I can see the factory options?
Yes and no. Jayco.com will list the options available for each Jayco line but descriptions, including pictures, are generally lacking. Often, dealers will give better descriptions and also often have excellent photo galleries of individual RVs they sell.