Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #1

Smile Storage/Decorating Questions

We just bought our first RV after being popup owners for several years. Never being able to put things in overhead cabinets, I was wondering where I should store my pots and pans (lower cabinets or would they be OK in higher cabinets)? Where does everyone store various items?
Also, I have a picture I would like to hang inside the camper but I do not want to damage any walls. I was wondering what the best way to hang something lightweight would be. I was concerned that Command Hooks would maybe come unstuck in hot, humid weather or fall off in cold weather. Sticky tack leaves residue sometimes (even though it claims it does not). Any suggestions?
Thanks!
DebKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #2

Welcome and congrats!! I do not have all the answers to the questions, we are learning all that ourselves. But, there are plenty of members on here who know!! Happy Camping!!
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #3

we used command Velcro to hang the pic in our bedroom and it has worked great ... one strip on top and one on the bottom of the picture... we store our pots and pans under our stove ... there is a cabinet there on ours ... cups glasses, well hard plastic glasses lol and plates go above the kitchen sink area in overheads on that rubber roll mat ... our big pitchers for lemonaid and other drinks go in the bottom of our pantry ... in storage pillows go in over head above the head of the bed ... sheets towels blankets in bedroom closet ... folding chairs under bed ... hope this helps
Old 04-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #4

I suggest pots and pans low. I use command strips and have had no issues. don't be afraid to make it yours, and what you want, how you want. it is your home away from home. when it comes time to sell, people will understand, it won't stay perfect!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #5

As long as you use the no-slide rubber matting you should be ok. We had dishes and pots and pans stored high and low and never had an issue in ten years.
Get the matting wide enough to cover the entire area solid.
Hope this helps.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #6

We use the Command hooks in our new rig without issue. Been up for a year now, with stuff hanging on them, and no letting loose from the wall. We like to store our pots and pans down low and dishes up high on the rubber shelf lining stuff. No issues yet and we've done it that way for years in the old TT.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #7

We're thinking about baby latches on the cabinets, as we go over some pretty rough roads. Anyone else use those? How hard are they, really, for grown-ups to manage? ;-)
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #8

We had a lot of the Command hooks and velcro through our last TT, and when we traded it in I removed them all and they came off just like advertised, and didn't leave so much as a mark.
We use some of those spring loaded bars across the inside of some of our cabinets where something might shift and open the door. They work pretty well.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:02 AM   #9

I recently moved the "household" stuff from old TT to our new one pondering the best way to do it. As I used the various items this past weekend on the maiden voyage I moved much of it around to different spots. It's trial and error and kind of just what works for you. If something is kind of heavy though, I'm not sure how much weight the new cabinets can hold, I've kept the heavier items like toaster, iron skillet in the seats under the dining table.

Happy Camping!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:51 AM   #10

Congratulations on the new TT!

I used the Command hooks in my old trailer. They stayed put for 12 years. When doing mods in my current trailer, I discovered the Command "Velcro" - specifically designed for hanging pictures. It works great. FYI: don't use the "Velcro" brand strips. They come loose when you go over a bumpy road. If you have a particularly heavy picture, don't be afraid to use a short moly-bolt. (Of course, that will leave a mark!)

I'd recommend putting pots/pans in a low cabinet, since you want to keep the center of gravity low. Fortunately, my trailer has a Pot & Pan Drawer under the dinette bench closest to the stove. I outfitted it (and my other cooking utensils cabinets) with what I call "Nesting Racks". I used pieces of Luanne (thin plywood), some rubber shelf liner, some short pieces of dowel rod, and a few drywall screws to make them. Just lay out your utensils to give you the most storage space, position 3-4 dowel rods around each item to hold it in place and protect it from the items around it, mark the location of each dowel rod, drill a hole in the center of each mark and into the bottom of each dowel (to prevent splitting), then run a drywall screw up through the bottom of each hole and into the bottom of the dowel rod.They have worked very well to keep everything in place during travel.

I posted these pictures almost a year ago, but here's another look:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00068.jpg   DSC00070.jpg   DSC00071.jpg   DSC00083.jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #11

Thanks everyone!
P.S. Brownie, those are great! I may have to get my husband to make those!
DebKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #12

I'm with DebKen. I emailed your tips and pics to the husband already Brownie
chent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #13

Command hooks work great. I had an issue with them on the stained surfaces. I think I used a rubbing alcohol and wiped the wall, and never had an issue since.

In the cabinets everything moves. Big stuff is down low, and I put Styrofoam plates or paper towels between things to keep the issues with vibrations down.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #14

Cookware

I love, love, love my Magma cookware (10-piece plus colander and soufflé pan). All of my 12 pieces ride very safely in an upper cabinet; they nest and store in less than 1/2 cu. ft. of space. When purchasing, pay attention to your choices ... the Ceramica surface option makes them a cinch to clean, and there is an induction version should you have such a cooktop. Every piece has a heavy bottom and should last forever!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:55 PM   #15

I also have the Magma Cookware and like it very much. Going on 2years now and wouldn't think of using anything else. I don't use propane I use butane and it heats up faster ( not that that matters when your camping) but it just does. Reason I use butane is because I cook mostly outside.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chent View Post
I'm with DebKen. I emailed your tips and pics to the husband already Brownie
Brownie, you are in so much trouble!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote