Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2022, 05:50 AM   #1

Suggestions for platform bicycle racks?

We are wrapping up our shakedown trip in the 224BH. The hands on experience has been great. We are satisfied it is a good purchase. And already I am reminded why I nicknamed this thing "Starter Kit."

What platform bicycle racks are you all using? I'm still debating "two or four" for the capacity, but either way a bike rack is in our future.

Suggestions and in particular, thoughts based on experience with particular racks will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rick
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:37 PM   #2

Kuat NV2

I dropped the money on a Kuat NV2 about 10 years ago and started putting it on my trailer a year ago. It's a beast and IMO, the heavier the better since it's going to experience some jostling when attached to the back end of a trailer (assuming the bumper and receiver you have are up to the task). It's also expandable to 4 bikes.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post970710
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:52 AM   #3

Here's what we have on the back of our Alante. Got it at Etrailer...holds 2 bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
20220408_083506_resized.jpg  
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:21 AM   #4

If you are considering E-bikes, look at 1UP. we are on our first trip with it and two 70-pound Rad bikes. It is heavy, weighing in at around 45 pounds.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:26 PM   #5

I would suggest making sure you have AMPLE clearance from handlebars to the rear wall of the camper. I now have handlebar/brake lever holes in my rear door from a very short drive home on a very sturdy VERY high end rack. It was my fault and I had a feeling that I was going to have an issue. Now I have a 1200 dollar mistake to fix by replacing my rear door on my rig, haha.
LIV 828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
If you are considering E-bikes, look at 1UP. we are on our first trip with it and two 70-pound Rad bikes. It is heavy, weighing in at around 45 pounds.
Hi Jetlag,

Are your tail lights still visible? That's my only hesitation with ordering this rack.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:00 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Re, this -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefCamper View Post
Hi Jetlag,

Are your tail lights still visible? That's my only hesitation with ordering this rack.
I was wondering the same thing about tail and brake light visibility.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I dropped the money on a Kuat NV2 about 10 years ago and started putting it on my trailer a year ago. It's a beast and IMO, the heavier the better since it's going to experience some jostling when attached to the back end of a trailer (assuming the bumper and receiver you have are up to the task). It's also expandable to 4 bikes.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post970710
Bob, thanks. I looked through those pictures at your link think the simplicity of that route is by far the way I need to go. My brother is a machinist and welder so the hassle of getting my TT to his shop will be the most difficult part of getting the tweak done.

I do have a follow up question about welding machines and the electrical components in the travel trailer.

Specifically, my TT is equipped with Solar and like most has an onboard inverter, etc.

What steps do I need to take (if any) to assure nothing is damaged in the electrical and electronic systems of the camper when a welding machine is hooked up to it?

I just want to be sure nothing gets fried in the installation of a brace.

Thanks again,

Rick
Old 01-28-2023, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefCamper View Post
Hi Jetlag,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmyth View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback.

Re, this -

I was wondering the same thing about tail and brake light visibility.
Yes, there are, BUT, I put a cover over them and that does obscure the lights. I have a light kit from a company called "Kody" on the way. They make light kits for specific bike racks, including mine. Now to figure how to a plug to the back of the camper
Old 01-28-2023, 07:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Bob, thanks. I looked through those pictures at your link think the simplicity of that route is by far the way I need to go. My brother is a machinist and welder so the hassle of getting my TT to his shop will be the most difficult part of getting the tweak done.

I do have a follow up question about welding machines and the electrical components in the travel trailer.

Specifically, my TT is equipped with Solar and like most has an onboard inverter, etc.

What steps do I need to take (if any) to assure nothing is damaged in the electrical and electronic systems of the camper when a welding machine is hooked up to it?

I just want to be sure nothing gets fried in the installation of a brace.

Thanks again,

Rick
My father indicates the risk to electronics is low but to disconnect from shore power and disconnect from the battery before starting just to be safe and to prevent potential problems if the welder were to lose ground.

My bike rack, especially now that I have a cover on the bikes, completely blocks the lower tail lights, too. I ended up installing a second set of tail lights higher up:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post976641
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:53 PM   #11

So I resolved the bike rack issue by purchasing a frame mounted receiver hitch from e-trailer.com.

https://www.etrailer.com/partlist.as...403&csrId=1843

I have the good fortune to have a machinist / welder (nephew) in the family. After the hitch arrived I scheduled a time to tow the trailer to his shop. He knocked it out in short order.

Also, a blanket over the solar panel and the negative side disconnected at the battery took care of the electrical concerns. Thanks again to all for the wisdom and direction.

Photos
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3246.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	86602

Name:	IMG_3245.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	86603

Name:	IMG_3244.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	86604

Name:	IMG_3243.jpg
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	86605

Name:	IMG_3242.jpg
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	86606

Name:	IMG_3241.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	86607
Old 02-28-2023, 05:54 PM   #12

Suggestions for platform bicycle racks?

PS: since taking the photos I’ve cleaned, primed, and painted the welds.

After I get the bike rack assembled and mounted I’ll add photos of the completed project.
Old 02-28-2023, 06:13 PM   #13

Swagman makes great stuff. https://www.swagman.net/. Also available on Amazon
adsfhjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfhjq View Post
Swagman makes great stuff. https://www.swagman.net/. Also available on Amazon

Roger that. The rack we purchased is a Swagman. Not recalling the model at the moment.

I’ll be into that assembly over the weekend.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:27 PM   #15

Okay. It’s a Swagman 4.0. The base rack folds and is for two bikes. The model will take an extension for 2 more bikes.

I assembled the base rack and installed it on the camper today. The DOT reflective tape is not part of the Swagman kit. I added that from stuff I had around the workbench.

Photos

Name:	IMG_3268.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	498.5 KB
ID:	86716

Name:	IMG_3267.jpg
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	86717

Name:	IMG_3266.jpg
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	86718

Name:	IMG_3265.jpg
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	86719

Name:	IMG_3264.jpg
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	86720

Name:	IMG_3263.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	86721

Name:	IMG_3262.jpg
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	86722
Old 03-06-2023, 04:05 AM   #16

As a follow-up to the above, I had to remove the bumper-mounted spare-tire rack in order to install the bike rack.

Removing the spare tire mount might not be necessary for some others depending on how the hitch welds into their I-beams, but on my 224BH the rear-ward projection of the receiver is just about an inch shy of sufficient clearance to allow installing the bike rack while leaving the original spare tire mount in place.

The spare rack mounts with U-bolts, so some (left to right on the bumper) adjustment of the spare time rack is possible. However, I discovered that if I slide the spare-tire rack far enough left to clear the bike rack, the mounted tire obscures the tag. For now I'll stash the camper spare tire in the truck bed, but after the spring break trip I'll head back to my nephew's shop and see what he can concoct for mounting the spare back on the bumper.

Pictures later, like, maybe months later...
Old 03-06-2023, 09:47 PM   #17

I'm looking at a Kuat NV 2.0. Integrated cable locks and integrated work stand. A bit spendy, though.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrachrispy View Post
I'm looking at a Kuat NV 2.0. Integrated cable locks and integrated work stand. A bit spendy, though.
Yes, we also looked at Kuat. And I'll confess to a case of sticker shock over the price. "Do I want to put this much into a rack that will be used only a dozen times a year?" As it is, the Kuat base rack alone was as much as the Swagman base rack and 2-bike add-on that we purchased. If it were staying on my truck for daily use I might have gone that route.

Like the Kuat, the Swagman 4.0 has integrated cable locks.

The one feature Kuat offers that made it attractive is the adjustable grommet that snugs the mount inside the receiver. There is a large knob on the outboard end of the Kuat that allows adjustment for a tight fit.

The Swagman addresses the potential shake issue with a hefty screw-in hitch pin. As it is, hitch tightness is one of those things I'll add to my list of items to check at fuel stops.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:31 AM   #19
CAG

Quote:
Yes, we also looked at Kuat. And I'll confess to a case of sticker shock over the price. "Do I want to put this much into a rack that will be used only a dozen times a year?" As it is, the Kuat base rack alone was as much as the Swagman base rack and 2-bike add-on that we purchased. If it were staying on my truck for daily use I might have gone that route.

Like the Kuat, the Swagman 4.0 has integrated cable locks.

The one feature Kuat offers that made it attractive is the adjustable grommet that snugs the mount inside the receiver. There is a large knob on the outboard end of the Kuat that allows adjustment for a tight fit.

The Swagman addresses the potential shake issue with a hefty screw-in hitch pin. As it is, hitch tightness is one of those things I'll add to my list of items to check at fuel stops.
It appears the Kuat is not rated for RV mount. I did not check the swagman but ETrailer is a good place to check the various ratings and there is a very recent threat where we discussed racks for E-bikes and ratings.

A screw-in hitch pin will not stop shake. They make special bolts for that and racks like the Hollywood RV comes with that is RV rated and is nearly $200 cheaper. There are others.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:35 AM   #20
CAG

The Swagman 4.0 is not rated to be used on a trailer.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote