Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: What brand tongue jack?
Barker 4 25.00%
Bulldog 4 25.00%
Husky 4 25.00%
Ultra-fab 2 12.50%
Lippert 0 0%
Other 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #1

Tongue Jack - what would you buy?

So I'm 4th and inches from pulling the trigger on a tongue jack upgrade. My FIC 3500 pound jack is already acting up (sometimes it works, sometimes it makes me wait, sometimes it does both). As I see the MSRP on this jack is $99 and I can't even get the correct owner's manual straight from FIC, I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here in saying its likely a piece of garbage.

So I want to put something reliable on the front of the trailer. My thoughts are the Barker VIP3500 (I can't see spending north of 400 bucks to get the Hi-Power ball screw version - can anybody else?), Husky Super Brute 4000, or the Bulldog/Reese 4000.

I like that the Barker is supposedly made here in the US and customer service seems to be top notch from what I've read. 2 year warranty.

Lots of people seem to like the Husky, but its made in China. It does however have the ball screw design, and also the 2 year warranty.

The Bulldog/Reese doesn't have the ball screw design. I can't figure out where its made, and I can't find many people discussing their customer service experiences. The jack carries a 5 year warranty - maybe that's why I can't find any customer service stories.

Pricing goes from least to most Husky, Bulldog, Barker.

What say you guys?

Oh - lifting ~900-950 pounds of tongue and the back of my F150 (for the bars).

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Team

A Barker VIP served me well for 7 years on my Jayco and was still working good when I sold it. The Lippert crap jack that came on my current trailer went up and left me hand cranking on my last trip. After some research and reviews my choices for a replacement came down to a Barker or a Bulldog. I tried a Bulldog this time with the 5 year warranty. Both jacks are just north of 200.00 on Amazon. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #3

I’m leaning towards the Bulldog. Interesting tidbit - I reached out to Bulldog, Husky, and Barker w/ a pre-sales question. I did that first thing this morning - so far only Bulldog has responded. Funny - the one I knew nothing about by way of customer service was the first one to answer.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I’m leaning towards the Bulldog. Interesting tidbit - I reached out to Bulldog, Husky, and Barker w/ a pre-sales question. I did that first thing this morning - so far only Bulldog has responded. Funny - the one I knew nothing about by way of customer service was the first one to answer.
We're actually on our second Bulldog 4000. The first one went on the TT when it was new, because the DW does the up/down on the tongue, while I'm backing up the TV. Seems she really didn't like the manual crank one that came on the TT. She told me to get an electric one before we went out again, or I was going to go ALONE!

As it turned out, it worked flawlessly for 6 years, then the motor shaft sheared, just after it came off the ball when we got home from a trip. I'm glad it didn't break before.

I replaced it with another Bulldog, same size, but this one has a newer design. I just like the size of it, and the warranty. I don't fault the company for the first one, and I think there's a new style motor, since the head shape is different, and the overall height is shorter.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #5

I have the 4000 lb Husky Brute (#82084) on my 29RKS (tongue weight 1100 lbs). I really like the auto stop feature both up and down. Plenty of power to lift rear of truck when installing my Equalizer spring bars. Quiet, fast and easy to install.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #6

I have an Atwood on my camper that has been going strong for 7 years now. I'm not sure who bought out Atwood [Lippert? Dometic?] but if I could replace it with the same I would. If not I'll take you guys opinions on one and buy it.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #7

I bought an $80 jack on eBay about 5 years ago and it's still working perfect. I don't need the expensive brands.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #8

Barker

I bought a barker 5 years ago, faster than the LCI (my buddies have LCI really slow) no issues. Would by barker again made in USA.
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:30 AM   #9

The Jayco OEM FIC power tongue jack, is just an cheap off brand even by Chinese standards. I took it off not long after buying my new J Flight 23RB and replaced with a Barker Hi-Power tongue jack.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #10

I ended up ordering the Husky Super Brute 4000. Once I corrected the typo in my original email they were very quick to respond. The price was right and it has 500 extra pounds of lift than my junk FIC jack. Plus it has that nice ball screw design.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #11

I have had three different brands and models. I am super happy with my latest Husky. I have yet to blow a fuse as it has stop before you blow a fuse.

It looks like I am the only one who voted for Husky.
I bought this one on Amazon:

Husky HB4500 4500 lbs. Brute Power Jack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #12

+1 for the Husky Brute.

My OEM FIC3500 died a horrible death due to water intrusion. I knew it would happen eventually, and finally when it did, I dumped like 1/2 cup of water out of the head after I removed it, and it hadn't rained in weeks. I tried covering it as best I could to keep the water out, but I didn't have a cover I felt comfortable towing with. And our record for rain while RVing is nearly 100% (people have actually asked us to go out so it will rain!)

Replaced with the Husky (ball/screw drive) and the only thing I regretted in the least was not springing for the one with the remote. That would have been handy a few times. But the jack itself ran like a champ and was virtually impervious to water intrusion by design. Plenty of capacity to lift the rear of my truck if I needed a little assist on the bars too.

I would buy another Husky in a heartbeat.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue jack