Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

Torklift stairs installed

I spent 3 hrs Sat installing our new stairs. I agonized over this a few months before parting with the $$$ for a new set of entry steps but finally decided it was a good upgrade. The Bride has difficulty with her knees and an extra step will help.
Installation was pretty straightforward but I needed an extra set of hands a couple of times to get things raised and aligned. The floor jack was a big help too.
The opening for the stairs was a bit narrow and I had to install one of the supplied brackets reversed to make it fit but at the end of the day everything lined up nicely and the new steps are really solid. If you are contemplating this upgrade and are reasonably comfortable turning a wrench the you should have no problem.

Edatlanta did this a couple of years ago and spoke highly of the product. After trading a couple of messages I decided to jump in.

I've included a few pics of the process.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6ABEE8B8-AB7A-4FF5-BB29-1C99EB83815A.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	30346
getting ready to drop the old.

Name:	6723A9E3-3778-4C49-9FC3-3AA640730D49.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	30347
I removed the steps from the frame and mounted it first. Getting a wrench on the bolts to tighten them was a challenge due to the tight space and having the steps out of the way helped a bit.

Name:	FCEF5C45-4644-44E2-A1CC-8363E50F18B1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	30348
Then bolted the steps back to the frame. But I must've done something wrong, I keep falling off the stairs now...

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #2

Great write up Red.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #3

Nice mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I spent 3 hrs Sat installing our new stairs. I agonized over this a few months before parting with the $$$ for a new set of entry steps but finally decided it was a good upgrade. The Bride has difficulty with her knees and an extra step will help.
Installation was pretty straightforward but I needed an extra set of hands a couple of times to get things raised and aligned. The floor jack was a big help too.
The opening for the stairs was a bit narrow and I had to install one of the supplied brackets reversed to make it fit but at the end of the day everything lined up nicely and the new steps are really solid. If you are contemplating this upgrade and are reasonably comfortable turning a wrench the you should have no problem.

Edatlanta did this a couple of years ago and spoke highly of the product. After trading a couple of messages I decided to jump in.

Attachment 30346

Attachment 30347
I removed the steps from the frame and mounted it first. Getting a wrench on the bolts to tighten them was a challenge due to the tight space and having the steps out of the way helped a bit.

Attachment 30348
Then bolted the steps back to the frame. But I must've done something wrong, I keep falling off the stairs now...
It looks like you might need to rotate the steps 90 degrees.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuftoknowbetter View Post
It looks like you might need to rotate the steps 90 degrees.
Either that or rotate the trailer 90 degrees...
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post

Attachment 30346

Attachment 30347

Attachment 30348
I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Great product and definitely an improvement over the OEM steps.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:23 AM   #7

I've never taken a look at the steps on my camper, and I just assumed they were welded in. I carry around a wooden box to serve as my first step, because my three step unit is never close enough to the ground. If I could just unbolt what I have now and replace it with a four step unit from Torklift, then that is something I need to consider.

That wooden box I've been carrying around is big and bulky and heavy, and I'd love the idea of getting rid of it. I'm always anxious to consider any idea that allows me to carry less stuff.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Great product and definitely an improvement over the OEM steps.
Thanks Ed. We will try them out in a couple of weeks but I did get the Bride's approval at the storage lot.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 04-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

so what happens when you aren't on level side to side ground.. does the 4th step come off somehow? I have been in sites where my 3rd step is planted firmly in the dirt because of the grade
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmc321 View Post
so what happens when you aren't on level side to side ground.. does the 4th step come off somehow? I have been in sites where my 3rd step is planted firmly in the dirt because of the grade
That's a good question, James. I gotta say I'm not really sure. The steps can be disassembled but would probably be more trouble than it's worth.
The steps pull out to their full length and then are lowered to the ground. I think the "slope" of the steps would be less in that case and I think the individual steps would remain horizontal.
Maybe EdAtlanta will chime in on this, he's had his a couple of years and may have an experience to share.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B