Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #21

Very nice racks!!!! The next one I build will be a bit taller, but still use the wheel bracket type bike rack. I was limited in height because of the bed door on my hybrid. Our new camper wont have that problem. I do have interference problems between the bike rack and back of truck during very tight turns with the current setup. An additional 6 in. of height would solve my problem.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
Very nice racks!!!! The next one I build will be a bit taller, but still use the wheel bracket type bike rack. I was limited in height because of the bed door on my hybrid. Our new camper wont have that problem. I do have interference problems between the bike rack and back of truck during very tight turns with the current setup. An additional 6 in. of height would solve my problem.
Thanks! It makes sense to use the "wheel resting" bike racks for the hybrid campers so you don't have to remove the bike rack to setup your camper. I saw yours when I was researching the idea before I built mine and I thought you might not have had turning clearance issues with two bikes. I knew I was hauling 3 bikes and soon a fourth when our little girl is old enough to have her own bike so I wanted to make 100% sure I would clear my truck bed. In the bottom of a valley while turning sharp right, I have about 8-9" of clearance.
knowles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #23

Congratulations to both of you for your design and fabrication skills. Those sure are nice racks . . . I mean bike racks.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Congratulations to both of you for your design and fabrication skills. Those sure are nice racks . . . I mean bike racks.
Thanks! I think I may build a few to sell one day.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #25

For those of us without wleding skills, here is an A-frame mount to accept a bike rack. Little pricey though.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Carg...on/CC-275.html
Old 07-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #26

That is extremely cheap compared to other options, but unfortunately, there's a reason it's so cheap.

It recommends only 2 bikes be hauled instead of 4 or 5, but I imagine two 29" mountain bikes are heavier than they intend for you to use as well. Also you are virtually guaranteed to damage your tow vehicle during a sharp turn if the bikes do not clear the vehicle. There are a lot of factors that determine the clearance between the tow vehicle and the camper, but in most setups that I've seen, clearance would be an issue.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #27

I agree there are a lot of factors, but as I stated, for those of us who can't weld, it is n option.
Although I can't weld, I can turn a pretty mean wrench. I am considering trying to make my own bolted version out of uni-strut and angle iron.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #28

I know this is an older post but wanted to pass along my thanks! I borrowed you idea and with some help and scrap metal left over form some projects I had a friend help me cut, weld and finish a mount that would allow me to use my existing bike rack and would let me transport the bike to the CG then I could move the same bike rack to the normal hitch position to take on day trips or around the area once we got to the area we would be staying.

This idea for an a-frame bolt on bike rack that allows me to cary three bikes on the trailer does not impact driving at all. I do have to take off the bikes to set up the camper but the benefits of having the bikes outweigh that effort, The mount stays on all the time. It has attracted attention from my dealership as well and many campers who see it with the bike on. Because with the bikes off and the front bunk down you don't even know it's there.

He are a few pictures of our current set up. I could not find u-bolts in the correct size fast enough so opted for bots to a lower bracket. It is super strong and has many miles on it. So thanks love the idea and hoped to pass along so others could find a solution to carry bikes on a hybrid with out having to drill or void the warranty on their frame.