Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #1

Uncertain about Installing Shelves

I have a 2008 Jayco Featherweight TT...really need a shelf in bathroom but am uncertain about proper installation. I have no idea where the studs are on the only wall I could put this, where the wiring is, etc. Any suggestions for obtaining this information and/or how I could put a simple shelf up for toiletries in my RV bath? (I'm not a skilled carpenter) thank you
luvsgoldens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #2

Not wanting to put any holes in the new camper yet, I used the tension bar shelves:

Old 06-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #3

this might be my only option...I need shelves for toiletries, contact solution, etc. We actually have a shelf built into our shower/tub that looks like this one of yours. I'm needing countertop space more than shower/tub space. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #4

Check with a Jayco dealer and ask them to have Jayco email construction detail drawings to you. I was able to get drawings for both sides and floor for a 2003 Kiwi 17a. Hope this helps.
el-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #5

Haven't tested it, but will a battery operated stud finder locate the studs? Or does the aluminum framing mess it up?
Old 06-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #6

aluminum keeps me from knowing for sure. there is a towel bar hung on this wall I'm considering, so I'm wondering if wall anchors might help...DH isn't willing to take the chance of messing something up, so I was hoping you out there in Jayco Land might have a creative solution for me
Old 06-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #7

Just tested my stud finder in the camper. Seemed to work...although I did get a few odd readings. I had a beep and all the lights for the stud about 5 feet up the wall, but nothing at 3 feet. Studs typically run floor to ceiling unless there is an obvious reason like a window or something. Of course trailer framing could be a different animal.