Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #1

Upgrade to Seneca outside entertainment center

When we got our new Seneca our grandsons (6 and 8 years old) immediately took a liking to the outside entertainment center, they enjoy watching movies outside way more than cooped up inside. However the original setup had a few issues I planned to improve. First was the TV size, the original 32" TV was somewhat "lost" in the enclosure, so now a 39" Vizio full HD Smart TV fills the spot. Also the original TV was just mounted flat in the space. That would probably be fine if you had chairs 6' tall since the Seneca is a very tall unit! Also since the TV was fixed in place viewing was poor if you were sitting off-center due to the layout of the campsite. Even sitting straight back from the opening the screen was pointed over your heads!

To solve the viewing angle issues I installed a heavy duty full-motion mount that allows the TV to pull out, angle down for better viewing, and swivel up to 45 degrees to either side. To adapt the new mount to the Seneca I removed the original mounting plate (6 screws) and TV. Then I fabricated an adapter made from 1" mild steel tubing TIG welded together. It recesses the new mount 1" into the TV cutout giving the whole setup plenty of room under the compartment door when closed.

Lastly most of our movies are on Blu-Ray so we could not play them outside since the original Sony external player is DVD-only. So I found an Autopro in-dash 12-volt Blu-Ray player on Amazon. It is single DIN size, the same size as the original Sony. But the Autopro does not have any amplifier, so you still need the Sony to provide the sound to the speakers, plus we still wanted to listen to just the radio at times. To fit the Autopro I had to modify the cutout, so I extended the opening and then filled in the center between the new Autopro and the original Sony making two opening where there once was only one.

So far it has exceeded my expectations, the grandsons had to sit in the driveway and test it out! They approve!

More pictures of the installation are in my album here, I hope it links okay: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1061.html

The V7 mount Amazon link is: Amazon.com: V7 Heavy duty Full Motion Swivel Articulating wall mount for most 32" - 65" LED LCD Monitors TVs - Load capacity 99 lbs|VESA |Tilt |Swivel |Extend: Electronics

The Autopro Blu-Ray player Amazon link is: Amazon.com: Autopro BD-1208 Blu-Ray In-Dash DVD Automotive Grade Player: Car Electronics

The pictures below show the TV extended and also the completed installation with the TV returned to the "Travel" position.
Attached Thumbnails
5 Finished installation.jpg   6 TV extended on mount with cable management.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

looks nice and smart to add the full motion swivel
Old 04-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #3

Great upgrade. I intend to duplicate exactly what you did on my Seneca. What is the exact model of the Vizio tv that you used? Thanks, Howard
Howard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

Nice upgrade...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard1 View Post
Great upgrade. I intend to duplicate exactly what you did on my Seneca. What is the exact model of the Vizio tv that you used? Thanks, Howard
The Vizio TV came from Newegg, it is a refurbished E391A1. It came in a brand new box and the unit itself looks perfect too. It even had the plastic around all the edges and an energy sticker just like a new unit. Works great.

I measured and shopped carefully and a 39" TV was the largest that would fit. But new 39" units are hard to find, been replaced it seems with 40" screens. However I could not find a 40" TV that would fit between the lifting struts on the outside compartment door. Just a bit too big.

Here is the Newegg link: Refurbished: Vizio 39" 1080p 60Hz LED-LCD HDTV - E391A1 - Newegg.com
Old 04-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #6

Thanks. All parts ordered. Can you give me the measurements for the mounting bracket you fabricated? Thanks
Old 04-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #7

Also do you have an email just in case I have any questions while I am doing this? Thanks
Old 04-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard1 View Post
Thanks. All parts ordered. Can you give me the measurements for the mounting bracket you fabricated? Thanks
The mounting bracket was fabricated from 3 pieces of 1" square rectangular mild steel tubing each 3' long. Got them at Home Depot. 1 piece is cut in half to form the two upright members, the other two were left 3' long and form the horizontal members. The spacing between the two upright pieces was dictated by the mounting holes that held the original TV mounting plate. I used those original holes in the cabinet to mount the new bracket after drilling them out to 9/32" and used 1/4"-20 bolts.

The spacing of the horizontal cross pieces was determined by the mounting holes of the V7 mount. I laid them out and drilled the holes and used 1/4" carriage bolts from the back side which I welded in place so they act like mounting studs. You should be able to see the completed studs in my bracket picture attached. Painted it with satin black Rustoleum.

Constructed as it was it slips into the hole but it is tight. Then I temporarily attached the V7 mount and clamped the whole assembly in place so I could verify the fit. Then I marked the holes in the new bracket (through the enlarged holes that formerly held the original plate) and then took it back out so I could drill them on my drill press.

I will PM you with my email in case you have any more questions. I am very happy to help!
Attached Thumbnails
3 Fabricated mounting bracket.jpg