Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

Water Heater Drain

I have a Starcraft RV, but this tip will work for any water heater with a 1/2" drain plug. I replaced the nylon drain plug with an LFP-561 straight quarter-turn valve made for 1/2 in. PEX X 1/2 in. MIP. This small ball valve is all metal and made for the high temp application. I also keep a short piece of PEX pipe that I slip over the valve when I'm ready to drain the tank and this keeps the water from running down the side of my RV.
Boardwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #2

I have pretty good draining my Hotwater Heater by opening the HOT Water side of the spigot and then opening the fresh water low drain point value..

We do alot of camping off the grid and up late into the season... Can do the low drain points and get all the water out of the fresh water tank and most of the water out of the hot water heater doing this... then we just blow out the water lines with our small compressor adapted to the city water port. Then add some pink stuff to the P-traps. Good to go for the night. Then the next morning just add water to the fresh water tank and ready to go again...

There is alot of space in the hot water heater so freezing some water is not a problem for us...

I do pull the sacrificial anode at the end of the season and check it for replacement if needed. That is when I flush out my hot water completely... My Hot water heater is the Suburban model...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote