Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2021, 06:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper2020 View Post
X2
I drain all lines between trips just like this. Never need to remove drain plug. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
That will work and leave all the sludge in the bottom of the WH.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #22

Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
20210320_142050.jpg  
Old 04-22-2021, 06:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Here's mine.
So, to those of you with these hose-drain setups, how do you get that last bit of water out? The tank bottom is about an inch below the opening with the plug, so it doesn’t drain out completely. I’ve used a small Harbor Freight siphon hand-pump with flexible tubing to suck out the last of the water. Do you just leave it? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
So, to those of you with these hose-drain setups, how do you get that last bit of water out? The tank bottom is about an inch below the opening with the plug, so it doesn’t drain out completely. I’ve used a small Harbor Freight siphon hand-pump with flexible tubing to suck out the last of the water. Do you just leave it? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose?
Following.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Generally I don't worry about it. The small amount of water will not cause any damage.

In the fall at the end of my last trip, I tend to drain the water heater before going home. This will drain a bit more of the water from the tank.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Generally I don't worry about it. The small amount of water will not cause any damage.

In the fall at the end of my last trip, I tend to drain the water heater before going home. This will drain a bit more of the water from the tank.
Eventually, the crap in the bottom of the heater will wind up going thru the Water lines and aerators, showerheads and anything else. Not this boy. I drain and flush.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:05 PM   #27
eow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
That will work and leave all the sludge in the bottom of the WH.

That is NOT what I am witnessing. Only sludge is on the plug when I check and flush the tank each fall.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:56 AM   #28

Quote:
When I've got the air compressor hooked up to the city water supply, I'll open the HWT drain valve and then rock the trailer. That'll slosh around the water and most of it will get blown out by the compressed air.

For my Atwood G6A-7 HWT, Atwood indicates the last bit won't cause any harm. The oval shape of the bottom of the tank doesn't allow ice to expand in any way that that would cause problems.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood HWT Winterizing.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	70560
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by eow View Post
There really is no need to do a hardware upgrade to drain your hot water heater since the cold water line is typically at the lowest point, even lower than the drain.

To drain the hot water tank without modification, leave all the hot water faucets and hot low point drain closed, then open your COLD low point drain followed by opening the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank. All the water in the HWT will drain.
Brilliant!

MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
When I've got the air compressor hooked up to the city water supply, I'll open the HWT drain valve and then rock the trailer. That'll slosh around the water and most of it will get blown out by the compressed air.

For my Atwood G6A-7 HWT, Atwood indicates the last bit won't cause any harm. The oval shape of the bottom of the tank doesn't allow ice to expand in any way that that would cause problems.
Attachment 70560
Step three address the issue of sediment in the bottom of the tank after draining and how to get that sediment out of the tank.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Eventually, the crap in the bottom of the heater will wind up going thru the Water lines and aerators, showerheads and anything else. Not this boy. I drain and flush.
Most HWH winterizing instructions talk about the sediment in the bottom of the tank and how to get rid of that sediment while the drain plug is removed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Step three address the issue of sediment in the bottom of the tank after draining and how to get that sediment out of the tank.
I do a vinegar soak followed by a flush with a Camco Hot Water Tank Rinsing Wand. Step 4 (and my rocking technique) addresses the water that's left over even after using the rinsing wand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XL2IBS
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #33

Nylon plugs are used for a reason...self sealing and non-reactive.

Campground water supplies are never ph neutral..at least I've never come across any...they are either acidic or base. Neither is good for protecting against galvanic reactions....tho it would realistically take quite a while to actually cause a problem...and even then easy to fix preemptively with pipe dope. Bigger issue with Atwood is crapping out the electric heating rod and the non-dinosaur circuit card.

Using a water filter, I've yet to see any sediment flow out of my WH at clean out with a wand.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eow View Post
There really is no need to do a hardware upgrade to drain your hot water heater since the cold water line is typically at the lowest point, even lower than the drain.

To drain the hot water tank without modification, leave all the hot water faucets and hot low point drain closed, then open your COLD low point drain followed by opening the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank. All the water in the HWT will drain.
Do you also have to open all the cold water faucets? Or just the cold low point drain and relief valve?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:56 PM   #35
eow

To drain the hot water tank, only the cold low point drain and the pressure relief valve are required.

When I return from a trip, I open both low point drains and the pressure relief valve to drain the entire system.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water heater plug