Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #1

Who has added a wall mount fan

I have searched and searched and cannot find the photos of where someone installed a fan in the bunks or on the BR wall??

Thinking about doing this sometime this summer. not sure where or what power source to go with

Old 03-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
I have searched and searched and cannot find the photos of where someone installed a fan in the bunks or on the BR wall??

Thinking about doing this sometime this summer. not sure where or what power source to go with
Try here. It is on another forum, but it is the very first post.
Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #3

If you are looking for something cheap and simple, we use a clamp on dorm fan (think it was under $10) for our kids bunks - plug it in by the TV and clamp it on at bed time...

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #4

In the bunks, I'm planning to tap into the 12V from the light and mount a "cigarette lighter" socket with USB port adapter (or just USBs, haven't decided yet). Then I'm going to get a couple USB fans. Then other devices can be charged there, and a little fan will work perfect to keep air moving in the little bunk area. Right now we're using a clip-on fan, and it works, but it's not a very clean or elegant solution.

For our room, I have purchased an oscillating table-top fan that I can remove from its base. I just haven't decided how I'm going to mount it to the wall. It won't be hard, but I want a super clean install, so I'm going to spend some time and get it right.

The disadvantage with the one in our room is that it will run off 110 instead of 12V DC, so until I install an inverter, it can only be used if we're on shore power. For now that's okay, we've never been without shore power. And I could probably make something work if I got in a pinch and NEEDED something.

Curious if any other members have worked on something like this...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
In the bunks, I'm planning to tap into the 12V from the light and mount a "cigarette lighter" socket with USB port adapter (or just USBs, haven't decided yet). Then I'm going to get a couple USB fans. Then other devices can be charged there, and a little fan will work perfect to keep air moving in the little bunk area. Right now we're using a clip-on fan, and it works, but it's not a very clean or elegant solution.

For our room, I have purchased an oscillating table-top fan that I can remove from its base. I just haven't decided how I'm going to mount it to the wall. It won't be hard, but I want a super clean install, so I'm going to spend some time and get it right.

The disadvantage with the one in our room is that it will run off 110 instead of 12V DC, so until I install an inverter, it can only be used if we're on shore power. For now that's okay, we've never been without shore power. And I could probably make something work if I got in a pinch and NEEDED something.

Curious if any other members have worked on something like this...
great idea!!!
Old 03-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #6

We have one of these (I got it for $10 on clearance). It comes with a 12 volt plug, you can run it off an adaptor, or plug it into a D cell battery pack.
Robot Check

We also have two of these 10 inch fans. They can run on 12 volt or off house current with the adaptor. You can also get them in smaller 5-6 inch fan blade size.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:51 PM   #7

We use a box fan and set it on our dresser at night works great if you have the room
Old 03-31-2016, 07:14 PM   #8

I am planning on doing the same thing this year, but I am having a hard time finding a reasonably priced 12V fan. I am almost settled one of these (onefor each of the two bunks),

https://www.amazon.ca/0-25A-Brushles...dp/B00PZOPJ8O/
https://www.amazon.ca/Schumacher-122...dp/B0066CP6I2/

because they are relatively cheap and are lower profile than a regular fan. Getting in and out of the bunk without bumping into the fan is important since my family is on the larger side.

Are you planning on tying into the existing light or replacing it completely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
I am planning on doing the same thing this year, but I am having a hard time finding a reasonably priced 12V fan. I am almost settled one of these (onefor each of the two bunks),

https://www.amazon.ca/0-25A-Brushles...dp/B00PZOPJ8O/
https://www.amazon.ca/Schumacher-122...dp/B0066CP6I2/

because they are relatively cheap and are lower profile than a regular fan. Getting in and out of the bunk without bumping into the fan is important since my family is on the larger side.

Are you planning on tying into the existing light or replacing it completely?
Just tying in. I plan to replace the regular bulbs in there with LEDs, so the draw on the circuit should not be too much, unless the light, and the fan, and a phone or whatnot is all going at the same time. But even then, I'm relatively sure the wires will handle the load, but I can't speak for the fuses because I don't know for sure.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #10

Having been a kid in a bunk/coffin before, I bought a model with a bunk room. I've found that even with those little fans, its still always hot in those bunks. Fans do help a little... but its still not comfortable.

That is a HUGE reason we went with the 29QBS, the 3 bunks are in a separate room that has its own AC and heat duct.

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote