Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #1

Who's happy with a keyless entry upgrade ?

We want to go to keyless entry for our 5er door so been looking but so far no matter if low end or high end the majority of reviews are making me rethink doing this. Anyone happy with theirs ?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
We want to go to keyless entry for our 5er door so been looking but so far no matter if low end or high end the majority of reviews are making me rethink doing this. Anyone happy with theirs ?
Our unit came with keyless and we never use our keys. Ours has no batteries in the door, but draws power from door sensors from the coach batteries.
Little chance that they would go dead and not let us in, but AA batteries would eventually do that, I'd fear.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #3

Use my battery operated Bauer all the time. Wouldn't be without it. I use AA LI batteries which last much longer than regular AA batteries. Yes, I have to replace them from time to time and reprogram the unit but the convenience is worth it. I have all spare keys accessibly stowed just in case.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #4

I changed out our mechanical lock to an electronic lock. It's great. We keep our trailer on the driveway and don't need to carry a key when going in and out when working on it.

Just need to make sure to carry spare batteries in case the ones in it die. And you can always open with a key.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #5

We use our keyless all the time. Batteries last almost a year. They do not just die all of a sudden. It starts to get sluggish when unlocking and locking. You will know when it's time to change the batteries. It's been that way for me.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #6

Smile

I just ordered the lock from RVlock.com . They gave me the 20%discount that expired yesterday so maybe a good deal . I'll post after it gets here.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #7

I have the RV Lock V3 on my trailer. The separate keypad portion has failed twice. Each keypad did not last a year before water intrusion killed them. RV Lock did replace the keypad under warranty, but made me jump through a bunch of hoops before they sent out a replacement. I definitely do not recommend this lock. I'm going to put the original lock back on since it uses the same key as the rest of the locks on my trailer.
rgardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #8

I went and installed my RVlock V4.0 this afternoon. It seems well made and I did have to do just a tad of trimming to fit. Took maybe a 1/4 inch off towards door middle and fit . Other than that easy cheesy install. Programed easy and sync of the FOB was simple.
If anyone is thinking about one of their products, RVLOCK.com use promo code RVLTHX at checkout for 10% discount.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1223.JPG   IMG_1225.JPG  
Old 05-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #9

We have one installed and love it. Makes life alot easier.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #10

Those who know me will be aware that I'm a shameless geek, but I prefer to do things to old-fashioned, mechanical way, when security or safety are involved.
This is not me being a Luddite, or opposed to new technology, this is just an instance where "simple means reliable"
(By the same token, I don't let Alexa, or my phone, have any access to my front door lock at home!)

Thus, my view is that it's better to replace locks with better locks, that still use a key. Plus, I already have too many password and combinations to remember !

Just my view, but I throw it out for consideration.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Those who know me will be aware that I'm a shameless geek, but I prefer to do things to old-fashioned, mechanical way, when security or safety are involved.
This is not me being a Luddite, or opposed to new technology, this is just an instance where "simple means reliable"
(By the same token, I don't let Alexa, or my phone, have any access to my front door lock at home!)

Thus, my view is that it's better to replace locks with better locks, that still use a key. Plus, I already have too many password and combinations to remember !

Just my view, but I throw it out for consideration.
You use the code OR the key.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Keyless entry is one of the best investments I’ve made in our TT. My lovely wife takes our Jayco Eagle out to her sheriff department horseback training weekends and it’s about a 45 minute drive from our house. I’ve had to go out with my set of keys on more occasions than I’d like to recall to unlock the door for her. This last time I found her sitting in her nightgown on the TT steps at 7:30am because she needed something from her truck and door locked behind her. It was a reasonable expense that has saved me tons of grief ... we have only had for about six months and no failures as of yet. They are still a little clunky as far as the design... but we’ll worth the $ IMHO. Another note... my keyless lock still has a key that can open it in emergencies - and we have a second door that is key only so I’m not too worried about getting locked out if battery or unit fails.
Longmont CO USA
eventdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #13

For those of you worried about security, anyone can look up on the internet to see how to reprogram these things and go right up and reprogram your keyless entry so they can walk right in. Not that anyone would do that, just saying.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #14

I have a Bauer on my main door. The battery side only locks the little deadbolt. I don't bother with it because half the time it doesn't work. Batteries changed, cleaned up...no change. The key works every time. I emailed and never heard back. It's a Lippert company...that seems to say it all.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #15

Removed the batteries from our's the first week.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #16

Went with the RVlock v4 too. We love it. Single push button to lock it, 4 or 6 number code to unlock. Great for the kids (older, responsible ones&#128521 to get in and out without asking for and potentially losing the keys. I do have a physical key stashed away for “just in case.” Link to Amazon page below. No, it’s not my page and I don’t get comped for referrals. Purchased one just like everyone else.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Osogrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #17

Ours came with the keyless feature. Batteries last about 4 months and u know when they need replacement. U can not reprogram unless u remove and replace batteries which are on inside of door. I added locks to all outside doors and keep a hide away box with spares just in case.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Ours came with the keyless feature. Batteries last about 4 months and u know when they need replacement. U can not reprogram unless u remove and replace batteries which are on inside of door.
X2
Old 05-25-2019, 03:53 PM   #19

We are returning our RV Lock. Got it in this past week. Went and installed it. Door wouldn't shut and lock right. Then found out the only lock you have electronic control is the tiny deadbolt that slides over. The handle doesn't lock. I called and talked to RV lock. They said just lock the handle with the key. Really? That defeats the electronic feature. They said the handle lock has to be accessible for all dealers to be able to unlock it. Needless to say, I sent it back, reinstalled the original door lock, and waiting on my refund. Disappointed with RV lock.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #20

When did Jayco take the keyless off the Pinnacle? I would order one of them
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote