Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Campgrounds spend thousands to try and get WiFi to the sites, but, it is not meant for streaming or gaming. If you added 100 - 200 devices to your home cable connection, I think you would see very very slow ( or no) service. This is what campgrounds face. It's not like Starbucks where you have a few hundred square feet to push your signal to and maybe 6 or 8 folks using it.

The problem you have with satellite TV reception also applies to satellite internet, many places it's not possible, and again, bandwidth is limited.
I check Email once in a while and maybe pay a bill, and i try and do that late in the evening, like midnight, when others are not using the system. Otherwise, I spend my time outside, enjoying nature Without a TV !
First off I'd like to thank you for your Service Sir. I am glad you are happily retired.

The context of your post almost comes off as being a lecture on how to camp but I'm sure that was not your intent but rather some advice. That is fine but I feel compelled to respond.

Whether your response was directed to me or not I never said anything about streaming videos or gaming. Our primary use for WIFI is to check up on weather forecasts, read our emails, check in with Facebook to post some photos of our travels to share with friends and to check up on local and news back home. My kids (22 and 16) mostly text message or check in with their facebook buddies as well. Outside of that we are most definitely outside enjoying our camping trips and not glued to our Devices and/or TV. It is also nice to have WIFI for those crappy days when it's rainy/cold or just plain too hot to be outside. I am also cognizant of trying to do things during Off Peak hours, but not everybody has the luxury of being up past MidNight, especially if you have kids along with you. I never like to impose my will on my fellow campers, nor do I desires to be the Bandwidth Hog to the point where others may not be able to connect. That is not my intention, ever.

As for Satellite TV, My DW likes to keep up with her TV Shows after she has retired for the evening, Myself it is strictly for watching my sports. Hockey or Football. IF we want to watch a movie, which we have yet to do, we have a few DVD's tucked away, some with the wrapper still on them.

Concerning your comments about the often less than stellar CG WiFi systems. I agree it's difficult for non techy CG's to properly distribute WiFi signals around their sites and that it may or may not be costly for them but that is not my concern. I am paying for that option. If I am looking for decent CGs to stay at and they Advertise WiFi, then I may choose the WiFi CG over the non WiFi CG. For that reason alone I then expect to have access to WiFi from my site. I do not wish to sit outside the CG Office trying to read email, or relax by catching up on News. I prefer to do that beside my Trailer, with a drink in hand and Music playing over the outside speakers. If the ENH202 helps me to pull in that signal, then that's what I am going to do, otherwise the CG should advertise they have "limited, localized WiFi at the Office" and then I can choose a different CG to support. As I mentioned in a previous post, running over on Data Usage on Cell Plans gets very expensive up here in Canada, especially if we are in the USA. WiFi helps to reduce that risk, A LOT.

At 54 years of age and after 30+ years of camping on the ground, with and without proper tenting eqt at times (If you know what I mean) I figure I deserve a few luxuries from Home while spending $1000s every season to travel North America.

At least I'm not blaring my music or parked next door to you with a dog that never stops barking. I get the feeling they would be hearing from you , LOL
Mind you they would also hear from me as well.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #22
Site Team

As I see it, a big part of the "INTERNET" issue is that the CG's have not kept up with technology improvements. Much of their AP/internet technology has been in place from 10 - 15 years ago. Their lack of technical knowledge (understandable) keeps them from upgrading equipment and maintenance, and of course the cost of hiring a company to do the work.

The range of some of the AP's I have encountered was good for 100' and deteriorated rapidly after that. Give the signal blocking characteristics of the TT/RV your signal just got a lot weaker. Most of the campers complain about slow service, it is not that I am hogging their portion of the bandwidth, it is because they sit in their TT/RV's and all they can get is 1 or 2Mbs, off of the modem in their laptop. Other issues.. I have been at CG's where their total internet service for the CG was 10Mbs, with over 50 sites.

If CG's want to draw future (HAPPY) campers, they need to address these issues because camping today is not like it was 10-15 years ago and it is not like it is going to be in 5 years from now. The technology needs of the campers always changes with time.

In my case, we are away from home 4-5 months of the year, longer in years to come. It is not the same as heading out to a CG for a weekend or a few weeks, it is a third of a year or more. Our need for data is not the same as a family that spends a few days looking for their place in nature and then heading home on Sunday.

I have 24/7 access to everything in my house, and can control most everything (heat/AC, lights, security sensors-cameras, water leak sensors, access things on my home server and secure internet through my home's cable system -VPN for bill paying) We watch our local TV stations over the internet (Slingbox) at night and keep tract of the hurricanes on local weather, watch local RAY's ball games and DW's recorded programs on the home DVR. I trade stocks to fund our travels/vacations so I need internet access for that. I know, just like being at home....

I enjoy nature, but that can get old as I can nature myself out in the first couple weeks or month.

During the week the CG's are never filled (lots of bandwidth available) and this is when we are on the internet. When the weekends come we socialize with the weekend neighbors.

Wait until the younger generation starts taking over the bulk of the camping.. my data usage will look like it was back in the 70's to them. At home we average just under 1Gb of data uploaded/downloaded daily.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #23

Mustang65

Having worked at campgrounds for a number of years, I feel I need to give the "other side" to this discussion.

At many campgrounds it's not an issue of $ or not keeping up with Technology . Sometimes more speed or even WIFI at all is not available in their location. I work in fairly remote campgrounds, where dial up may be the only choice for internet connection. With hundreds of folks trying to log on your never going to get a fast connection, and certainly not enough to stream video. Expectations have to meet reality, and the reality is, in many ( I work in the West) campgrounds will never be able to provide fast reliable wifi, heck in some area's we don't even have Cell service.

To those that need these amenities I understand, but it is also your responsibility to choose locations where those amenities are possible. Don't come to the high desert and expect lush grassy sites

We all have desires when we camp, be it ambiance or amenities and it's our own responsibilities to choose locations that meet our needs. I work kamp where I do because the area is where I want to be. . I accept limited conveniences to have the experience which is important to me. I also understand needing or wanting modern amenities, but, sometime that two are not both achievable. But it is our choice, just make sure our expectations can be realistic at the locations we want.

It's why they make vanilla and chocolate, we all like different things...what a great country we can make those choices !

Happy Camping...spring is coming. Ball players start arriving for spring training next week ! 82 today

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Happy Camping...spring is coming. Ball players start arriving for spring training next week ! 82 today
Do you have Satellite TV for that
I kid, Have a great season of Camping.

Hard to believe any Campground would only have Dial-up Service in this day and age, especially since Cell Towers have fairly good coverage areas but I suppose if they are remote enough I could understand.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #25

Actually I live in a stick built home here in Az And yes, i do hve Satellite TV, but, I walk to the ball park (actually worked there for several years) to watch a game.

I can only speak of the West, but great portions of the west have no cell coverage either, and the campground I was referring to, had limited Verizon coverage only. no other provider. When you only have a few thousand residents in a county, you can't afford huge costs for utilities. And I doubt you could get enough cell coverage to handle hundreds of devices being connected to the internet at the same time. Once you get off the interstate highways I would guess half the time your out of cell coverage. It's why i do have SirusXm radio to keep informed in my TV

Old 02-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Actually I live in a stick built home here in Az And yes, i do hve Satellite TV, but, I walk to the ball park (actually worked there for several years) to watch a game.

I can only speak of the West, but great portions of the west have no cell coverage either, and the campground I was referring to, had limited Verizon coverage only. no other provider. When you only have a few thousand residents in a county, you can't afford huge costs for utilities. And I doubt you could get enough cell coverage to handle hundreds of devices being connected to the internet at the same time. Once you get off the interstate highways I would guess half the time your out of cell coverage. It's why i do have SirusXm radio to keep informed in my TV
It's all good!! sometimes its easy to forget that not every corner of North America is wired up to the grid in terms of Telecommunications.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #27

Quote:
At many campgrounds it's not an issue of $ or not keeping up with Technology . Sometimes more speed or even WIFI at all is not available in their location. I work in fairly remote campgrounds, where dial up may be the only choice for internet connection. With hundreds of folks trying to log on your never going to get a fast connection, and certainly not enough to stream video. Expectations have to meet reality, and the reality is, in many ( I work in the West) campgrounds will never be able to provide fast reliable wifi, heck in some area's we don't even have Cell service.
This is true but the real issue I have with most campgrounds is that they advertise "Free WiFi". They generally never mention that it is very limited in bandwidth and/or slow. I say generally because I have recently seen some CGs advertise "Free WiFi" with the caveat that it is limited bandwidth suitable for email and/or limited availability at the sites. I believe that the campgrounds are now realizing that your "(e)xpectations have to meet reality" is a two way street. If all they say is that they have "Free WiFi" as a marketing ploy without the limitations, if there are any, the modern day RVer has ever right to expect a solid fast Internet connection. Notice I did not say camper but RVer. I have no qualms about being told about limited Internet but I believe that just trying to draw in dollars with "Free WiFi" and not delivering is wrong. JMHO

PS I have a PepWave SOHO router to use a park's WiFi as well as have my 10GB per month Verizon connection. I use a park WiFi if I can but do not rely on "Free WiFi" exclusively.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #28

What I find alot of places still use old G Class routers and access points.. This has not been the standard for six or seven years. They are now on AC class which delivers five to six times the distance and 25 times the bandwidth. The biggest issue is usually the campgrounds have a very poor plan that provides the bandwidth to the parks. If they only have a 25mbps or 50mbps providing 100 or 200 sites that's is not enough per site. The other problem is a lot of places have a very low upload limit which is needed for things like Skype. Personally at my house I have a hundred mbps plan.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #29

You make my point, if your expectaions are, that every campground you go to will have the capability to have super fast internet, your mistaken. As Dagwood said, not all of the country has the internet capabilities you would like. In Much of the country dial up or satellite are the only choices, and those may be limited also. So, it is up to you to do your research, call and ask the campground what their internet is like, so your expectations meet reality. As I said, at some campgrounds I worked for, cell phone was spotty and limited and at times non existent. Satellite TV was not possible due to 100' tall dense forest. No cable and limited phone lines coming up the mountain.. you can stomp your feet, call the campground cheap, yell, scream (and people do) all you want...nothing a campground owner can do to change what is available. Plus, the majority of campers, even full times, understand and come to those areas for the peace and quiet, to enjoy nature...not to sit inside and stream videos, or TV. You want TV and fast internet then you need to make choices where those amenities are available. Your not going to have Costco or Kohls either.. in fact, the only "grocery" store within 30 miles was the store at the campground, which was very limited in choices. It's just how things are, and the folks that live there understand and like that life style choice. They don't want to be wired all the time.....interesting many don't even carry cell phones...

Old 02-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #30

Quote:
You make my point, if your expectaions are, that every campground you go to will have the capability to have super fast internet, your mistaken. As Dagwood said, not all of the country has the internet capabilities you would like. In Much of the country dial up or satellite are the only choices, and those may be limited also. So, it is up to you to do your research, call and ask the campground what their internet is like, so your expectations meet reality. As I said, at some campgrounds I worked for, cell phone was spotty and limited and at times non existent. Satellite TV was not possible due to 100' tall dense forest. No cable and limited phone lines coming up the mountain.. you can stomp your feet, call the campground cheap, yell, scream (and people do) all you want...nothing a campground owner can do to change what is available. Plus, the majority of campers, even full times, understand and come to those areas for the peace and quiet, to enjoy nature...not to sit inside and stream videos, or TV. You want TV and fast internet then you need to make choices where those amenities are available. Your not going to have Costco or Kohls either.. in fact, the only "grocery" store within 30 miles was the store at the campground, which was very limited in choices. It's just how things are, and the folks that live there understand and like that life style choice. They don't want to be wired all the time.....interesting many don't even carry cell phones...
My self when I go camping, I tell every one it is no computer time. I fix computers for a living and the last thing I want is computers when camping.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianca2 View Post
My self when I go camping, I tell every one it is no computer time. I fix computers for a living and the last thing I want is computers when camping.
X 2 And that is the attitude of most of the campers, even full timers. They visit campgrounds for the campground experience, and the location.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #32

Thanks for posting this! I have a connection question. We are seasonal and the campground requires you to visit a webpage and log in with username and password to access wifi. Will this setup work on a system like that? Wifi signal is great outside at the rear of our camper but seems to be blocked by camper when sitting outside and inside signal is no where to be found! Thanks for your time
Dondjr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondjr79 View Post
Will this setup work on a system like that?
Yes it works with the CC's (or any public Wi-Fi) that are password protected.

Once you get the extended Wi-Fi unit setup, you can access the unit when you get to the CC and select the CC's AP and enter the password. Understand that some of the units require a little patience during the initial setup, but after that it is a walk in the park.

Best to set them up at home, prior to leaving for the CC.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Yes it works with the CC's (or any public Wi-Fi) that are password protected.

Once you get the extended Wi-Fi unit setup, you can access the unit when you get to the CC and select the CC's AP and enter the password. Understand that some of the units require a little patience during the initial setup, but after that it is a walk in the park.

Best to set them up at home, prior to leaving for the CC.

Just my thoughts,

Don

Thank you!
Dondjr79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engenius, enh202, internet, wifi