Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

Wind sensor for a electric awning

:lightning:Another mod I had installed a wind sensor on my carefree electric awning. It's actually a vibration sensor that will automatically roll up your awning if it gets to shaking to much. I figured it my save my awning one day if I get caught with the awning down and the wind starts to blow.:lightning:
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yddad45 View Post
:lightning:Another mod I had installed a wind sensor on my carefree electric awning. It's actually a vibration sensor that will automatically roll up your awning if it gets to shaking to much. I figured it my save my awning one day if I get caught with the awning down and the wind starts to blow.:lightning:
Could we get a few more details such as where you got it from, where you put it, how you installed it, etc? Pictures would be nice.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #3

I found this accessory on The Carefree of Colorado web site. My electric awning is a Carefree brand and is a Travel'r Type.
If you go to there website, Look under-- Travel Trailer-- Patio Awnings--Travel'r--Click Features tab, you will see-- NEW! Direct Response Electronics this is were you can find more info about it.
I did not install it myself, my dealer did, but I do believe I could have. They charged me $200 for Labor, $98.00 for the parts. I have played with and it works as described. I can now shake my awning and it will automatically roll up.
They also changed out my awning power switch inside my RV. It now has Two Switches that control my awning. One switch lets my awning out or back in, the other switch (which is new) is a power on or off switch. I like this because now I shouldn't have to worry about my awning accidently letting itself out while traveling.
My service manger told me he personally knows this has happened, they had tochange out a awning because of this. He also told me when they install a electric awning he always installs a ON, Off switch as a say guard.
You wanted more detail here you go.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #4

Thanks for that. I'm in a park now and have the awning out and the wind is picking up. I've kinda put faith in the engineering and hoped that if things went wrong it would default to staying closed. Wouldn't want my trailer e brakes to come on either while traveling but if they did let's hope the awning will pop open to give it some drag.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yddad45 View Post
I found this accessory on The Carefree of Colorado web site. My electric awning is a Carefree brand and is a Travel'r Type.
If you go to there website, Look under-- Travel Trailer-- Patio Awnings--Travel'r--Click Features tab, you will see-- NEW! Direct Response Electronics this is were you can find more info about it.
I did not install it myself, my dealer did, but I do believe I could have. They charged me $200 for Labor, $98.00 for the parts. I have played with and it works as described. I can now shake my awning and it will automatically roll up.
They also changed out my awning power switch inside my RV. It now has Two Switches that control my awning. One switch lets my awning out or back in, the other switch (which is new) is a power on or off switch. I like this because now I shouldn't have to worry about my awning accidently letting itself out while traveling.
My service manger told me he personally knows this has happened, they had tochange out a awning because of this. He also told me when they install a electric awning he always installs a ON, Off switch as a say guard.
You wanted more detail here you go.
I wouldn't mind adding it to my awning, but I'm wondering how you could get the wire fished from the awning to the existing switch?
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
I wouldn't mind adding it to my awning, but I'm wondering how you could get the wire fished from the awning to the existing switch?
I found a online manual that explains how the direct response system works but it's to big to put on this site. If you send me your email address I would be glad to send the PDF file to you.
carefreeofcolorado.com/.../052567-001%2012V%20Travle'r%20%20Direct%20Response.pdfT
This is the web site where you can get the manual.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #7

I was just about to purchase one until I took a close look and couldn't figure out how I would be able to get the extra wire pulled into the cabinet without it showing. If anyone has done this mod or knows how I could get it from the point of entry to the switch without it showing please let me know. BTW I have a 2011 Eagle 365BHS.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #8

Just wanted to update this thread on the operation of this sensor. I am presently on vacation in a rv park on the beach in Florida and after three days of waking up to thunderstorms my awning has been rolled up. It did it by itself all three mornings. All three days the wind was blowing pretty steady and I'm not saying that I would have lost my awning because of wind but I do sleep better at night now knowing that if a storm does blow up my awning will roll up.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #9

yddad45

Was your dealer able to completely hide the additional wire required for the wind sensor? If so, do you know what they had to do or remove to hide it? I'm ready to order one and install it myself but can't figure out how to conceal the wire.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote