Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

wiring led awning lights to porch light

I have a 26bh and I want to install an led light strip on the side of the camper just below the manual awning. I'm trying to figure out where to tie in the power. The porch light is relatively close to the end of the strip and there is a hole under the light fixture already.

Couldn't I attach the 12 v wires directly to the wires that power the fixture? I would just need to have the porch light on to power the strip. Right?

Is there a way to power them through that same opening and not have to use the porch light?

Thanks for your help. I am new to the camper thing and only have basic electrical skills.

Glenn
gmucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #2

Sounds like a great idea. I do suspect that in order for there to be power to the lights, the porch light would have to be on, thus taking away the effect of the LED's. I hope someone can answer it.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #3

I thought about going through the porch light, but decided against it as i wanted all my connections inside the trailer away from the elements. If your control panel is just inside the door, on the backside of the porch light you can remove the entire control and access the hole thats behind the porch light then wire it into a constant 12V source there. Another thing you may want to consider is you mentioned mounting on the side of the trailer. That would face it outward and you might find it blinding a bit. I held mine up on the side and just under the gutter facing downward and fount under the gutter to be better, and it can be used when the awning is shut. Good luck with your install, here is a link to the write-up I did.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...e-under-awning

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
I thought about going through the porch light, but decided against it as i wanted all my connections inside the trailer away from the elements. If your control panel is just inside the door, on the backside of the porch light you can remove the entire control and access the hole thats behind the porch light then wire it into a constant 12V source there. Another thing you may want to consider is you mentioned mounting on the side of the trailer. That would face it outward and you might find it blinding a bit. I held mine up on the side and just under the gutter facing downward and fount under the gutter to be better, and it can be used when the awning is shut. Good luck with your install, here is a link to the write-up I did.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...e-under-awning
I have a 2010 26bh so it does not have that access panel. I just came in from playing with it some more and found the IR relay box will fit inside the light fixture above the bulb. I'm going to see if I can fish the wires down to the switch on the wall and find a hot lead.

Thanks for the help and guidance.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

One option is to pull the porch light bulb.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #6

I completed this mod and it turned out fine. Here were my steps for installation.

1. Cut off male end of LED strip and spliced in telephone wire allow me to access power at the porch light. The wire ends were soldered and shrink tubed.

2. Cleaned the underside of the awning rail next to the camper with alcohol and used the 3m tape to affix the strip facing down. The strip ended under the upper awning mount.

3. I used white silicone caulk to glue the phone wire in place coming back to the porch light.

4. The drop of the wire was held in place with white duct tape.

5. I disassembled the quick connect splicers and crimped in the end of a 12v plug. The ends do matter which one goes to black and white. I had to do it twice. Positive and negative are critical for less.

6. The IR remote box fits neatly in the top of the porch light housing. I used a dremel to make a groove for the LED wire to enter the fixture.

7. That's it. They work on 12v battery power or 120 shore power. The only drawback is that the porch light must be on in order for the strip to work. We installed a 6 LED bulb in place of the 921. It draws a minimum of power and is not too bright to take away from the strips effects.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a good resolution.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #8

If your co2 detector is close by it could provide a power source. Get some scotch lock connectors and splice into it. You could wire in a switch or a lighted switch to let you know they're on. Good luck with the project.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #9

Maybe you can put a little toggle switch on side of the porch light to be able to turn it off when the LED's are on.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #10

That should be easy enough to do.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #11

I looked at my porch light-can I just tap directly into the porch light wires and use screw caps to hardwire the led strip?
Michael4017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #12

I added led lights under my awning using the porch light as the power source. Centered the led strip under the awning... 16' on a 20' awning. Used the wire included in the led package to connect to the end and run back to the awning light. I used 3m tape for the led strip and wire. Concealed the controller in the awning light and left the remote sensor exposed between the amber lens and the housing. I put a led lamp in the porch light, but I could remove it if I want to. Works great, no additional holes, and the controller starts on last setting/color.

Great addition!

Joe
Eagle Joe is offline   Reply With Quote