Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

2016 28bhbe

Here's a picture from this past weekend.
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

Thumbs up!!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #3

Nice set up! I kind of like that color scheme on your Jayco. Now I think mine looks boring.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #4

I also like that color scheme.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

Good looking rig, congrats
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #6

Awesome looking rig! We have been looking at the same floor plan a lot lately. How do you like it and is there anything you dislike about the floor plan?
Old 07-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #7

Thanks! The only thing I dislike is that the rear storage is on the driver's side. If the bunks and bathroom were reversed, it would be better. Overall we are very happy with it. We recently upgraded from a 23MB, which had ideal storage, but very small living area. Our 28' has the Elite package upgrade. Also wish it had a larger gray tank, the Elite package has a 80 gallon water tank. Love the extra room!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #8

You are describing the 29BHDS, it has the bunks and bathroom reversed with the rear door on the driver side. Instead of storage they have an exterior kitchen, plus an extra slide for the kitchen. Alot pricier and heavier, so I think the 28BHBE was the better choice. Plus ours has a ladder to get to the second bunk and the 29BHDS does not (or it is removable and needs to be stowed).

I use the driver's rear storage for foldable chairs, a drying rack, and the BBQ. I can pack it pretty tight, but only with very flat items. My big issue with it is that there is no protection for the PEX water lines in the rear, both those going to the water heater and the exterior shower. It is tricky getting back their to install something yourself, or maybe I just need to lose some weight...
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:18 AM   #9

The waterlines are open in the compartments all the trailers I've seen. Some are harder to see than others. We keep a plastic bin with kids basketballs, rackets, and other sports equipment in that area. Along with chairs and folding table & campfire tools. Very nice trailer over all with no issues.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcschwenke View Post
Thanks! The only thing I dislike is that the rear storage is on the driver's side. If the bunks and bathroom were reversed, it would be better. Overall we are very happy with it. We recently upgraded from a 23MB, which had ideal storage, but very small living area. Our 28' has the Elite package upgrade. Also wish it had a larger gray tank, the Elite package has a 80 gallon water tank. Love the extra room!
Thanks for the update! My wife and I are strogly considering trading in our 28BHS for a 28BHBE. We are finding ourselves taking longer vacations in and have had a few 10 day trips where we found ourselves wishing for a bit more open room on the inside. My current 28BHS has the maxi store door on the drivers side and I really hat the idea of giving that up but o well.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #11

We had quite a few issues when we first picked it up in April, but after sending it back to the dealer twice for repair things seem to be good. I really do enjoy the layout and space, we remove the dinette table and stow it on the top bunk during the day for more convenient seating.

I am considering several minor upgrades:

1) Another set of stabilizers in front of the axles, roughly in the center of the trailer. We get a little bit of rocking which I think it do to the flexing of the frame in the middle of the unit. Nothing that is problematic, but I think another set of stabilizers that would not allow suspension flex would make it much better.

2) Slide supports/stabilizers, I have seen people for and against these, but I am pretty heavy and if both my father and I are sitting in the slide, well, there is movement!

3) Underbelly insulation and enclosure, we do not have the thermal or elite package because our dealer did not have one in stock. Many people have made their own underbelly enclosure with chloroplast and insulating the floor and tanks would be great for camping in the Spring or late Fall. It gets cold where we camp, Ontario and upstate New York.

Any experience with extra stabilizers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcschwenke View Post
The waterlines are open in the compartments all the trailers I've seen. Some are harder to see than others. We keep a plastic bin with kids basketballs, rackets, and other sports equipment in that area. Along with chairs and folding table & campfire tools. Very nice trailer over all with no issues.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #12

motorbreath, if our stabilizers are set up and used for a day, then checked again the trailer seems very stable. My brother-in-law mentioned some type of cross brace you can buy for trailers to help with this issue. As of now, we are not too worried.

Our slide seems fine, but we have only used it twice. We just picked up the trailer the middle of June. I could see how there could be movement. The slide extends 2.5-3ft from the trailer which is quite a lever arm.

Camping in the early spring hasn't been an issue for us in the past. We picked up a new 23MB late April and used is in the UP of Michigan where the temperatures got down to 20 degrees F with the high in the 50s. No problem. Many others we know buy electric heaters because most campgrounds has electricity and why use your LP. I'm not that cheap yet! Fire up the furnace!!!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #13

Regarding stability and reducing the rocking motion, we put small jacks in front of and behind the wheels on the frame. It's gotten rid of about 95% of the side-to-side rocking. The X-chocks eliminate the forward to back. Where you really notice the stability is when taking a shower. Sometimes I would get a bit seasick before using the jacks.

Amazon has a 4 pack of the jacks for $30 so you can't beat that deal. Plus the jacks stack on each other so they take up very little room when stowed.

Look up "Camco 44560 Olympian Aluminum Stack Jack Stand - 4 pack"

Happy camping.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #14

Nice trailer Pcschwenke! We have the exact same unit, and so far love it (but only used it twice).

What are you using for blocking the trailer tongue and jacks? I can not believe how high up all 5 of these are... its almost like you can not even use them unless you have a 10" block under them. I am thinking of going to a sawmill and getting some light 8x8 or 10x10 cedar blocks.

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #15

Nice set up!! We have the same rig and LOVE it.
ValenciaFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:28 AM   #16

Love the setup and I'm hoping to get something some day.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
We had quite a few issues when we first picked it up in April, but after sending it back to the dealer twice for repair things seem to be good. I really do enjoy the layout and space, we remove the dinette table and stow it on the top bunk during the day for more convenient seating.

I am considering several minor upgrades:

1) Another set of stabilizers in front of the axles, roughly in the center of the trailer. We get a little bit of rocking which I think it do to the flexing of the frame in the middle of the unit. Nothing that is problematic, but I think another set of stabilizers that would not allow suspension flex would make it much better.

2) Slide supports/stabilizers, I have seen people for and against these, but I am pretty heavy and if both my father and I are sitting in the slide, well, there is movement!

3) Underbelly insulation and enclosure, we do not have the thermal or elite package because our dealer did not have one in stock. Many people have made their own underbelly enclosure with chloroplast and insulating the floor and tanks would be great for camping in the Spring or late Fall. It gets cold where we camp, Ontario and upstate New York.

Any experience with extra stabilizers?
Glad to hear you're enjoying your trailer! I love the floor plan too!

Just a hint, at least on my trailer, you can slide the table-top in between the couch and the dinette (I have the hide-a-bed) for a perfect out of the way storage spot. I like that area without the table as a nice lounging area too!

As far as extra stabilizers: There is another member on here, "RUSSELL5000" who put four extra stabilizers on his BHBE, one in front of and one behind the axles for 8 stabs total. On my trailer I want to put one extra set in front of the front wheels, but there is a propane distribution block in the perfect place for a jack on the curb-side, and I haven't looked into how to move it yet.

For now I use BAL X-Chocks and a couple "Stack Jacks" and it helps a lot. The "Stack Jacks" are a cheap and fairly effective alternative, but I find them very inconvenient. I still have to snug them up from time to time, and I have to crawl under the slide to do it. Also, they're kind of finicky which is annoying. I'd rather just stick my cordless drill on the end and zip them down or snug them when necessary.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #18

Congratulations! Beautiful. Glad you are enjoying it.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #19

We love our 2016 28BHBE with the Elite package. 80 gallon water tank is great when camping in Pennsylvania state parks (you get electric but no water on the sites)or dry camping. With a family of 5, water will last a 4 day weekend easily.

We had a 26 BH before but just couldn't fit our family of 5 around the dinette. And, it was a tight fit when everyone was inside. With the u dinette.... no problem. We can easily sit 6 for meals. Also, this is a big plus. When traveling, we can easily access the bathroom, refridgerator with out having to put the slide out.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #20

Sweet!

GMC Sierra 2500HD
287BHSW (original)
X213 (current)
Equal-i-zer 90-00-1200
Saturn V is offline   Reply With Quote