Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #1

Our first big trip

Just got back home from our first major trip, second trip ever in the camper. We drove from Western NY to Oscar Scherer state park in the Venice Fl area. The drive was thankfully uneventful besides the typical construction. It was a great trip and we are looking forward to our next trip, which is way closer. Here are a few pics of the camper and the park.

Tai95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #2

That's great you made such a long trip without major issues. And that is a really nice part of Florida. We used to go to that park in the 70's when I worked for a surveyor in Sarasota.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

Gorgeous!!! We usually go to Florida every February for 2 weeks. We missed February 2015 because my boy was 2 months old and we didn't want to drive that far with a newborn. Missed February 2013 because my daughter was 4 months old.

We are looking forward to Florida Feb 2016. We stay in Anna Maria Island, just north of where you were. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Gulf Coast area!

NC Roamer, my in-laws were looking to buy a new house in Fuquay-Varina a couple years ago. They love that area of NC!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
NC Roamer, my in-laws were looking to buy a new house in Fuquay-Varina a couple years ago. They love that area of NC!
Given the number of people who have moved here, apparently a LOT of people do, too. I am a native of this area, and never in my wildest imaginings did I ever think this area would see so much development.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Could you give us your impressions of the CG at oscar Shearer sp. ?
We have driven thru but never stayed there. Could a 38 ft fifth wheel find a site there?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

Nice campsite and photos! Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #7

I'm pretty sure that the website says the sites top out at 36'. We did walk the campground and there were a couple of nice "deep" sites that I'm sure could handle that size rv though.

The campground itself was very nice, there were plenty of restrooms that while small were always clean and stocked. I saw plenty of hosts and rangers daily. They were always cleaning, repairing, or doing security checks. The sites were spaced out well. While close to each other the natural privacy fence of palms and ferns made it seem like you were in your own jungle escape. The wildlife was also nice to watch. They have a specific birdwatching path to walk but just sitting at our site we saw rabbits, deer, turtles, raccoons, various birds, tree frogs, snakes, and the always everywhere in Florida lizards. The hiking trails were clearly marked if you wanted to do that and they had free kayaks if you wanted to use them. There was a lake for swimming but this sign kept me at bay.

The location is also a plus. You are in nature, but in 15-20 minutes you can be shopping downtown Venice or Sarasota and there is more shopping than you can handle. Not to mention the world class beaches that surround you. Venice is shark tooth capital of the US, and siesta key is just amazing. Miles and miles of white sand.

Overall I was very happy with the campground.
Tai95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #8

Beautiful campsite and setup. Happy and safe travels.

Traveling the US full-time
The Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote