Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2015, 04:18 AM   #1

07 Colorado towing x17z

Just got my x17z home. Now some people think my TV is too small. It is rated to tow 4000 lbs. CGVRW IS 9000 lbs. Truck is 2875 lbs. Seem to do OK coming home granted its only a 45 min drive. Like to know other opinions before I consider getting a bigger truck
crazy.canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #2

In theory you should be just fine. But you don't give us enough information. Engine size (I'm assuming I5), gearing, cab configuration, and payload.

You say it's rated to tow 4000#. You need to look at 3 things. Your owners manual which has a chart in it that lists possible configurations and tow ratings, things like crew cab vs standard cab, engine size, and gearing. To find your gearing you need to look at the 2nd thing, the RPO chart in the glove box. You'll also need this to verify installed equipment on the truck. Finally you need to look at the tire rating sticker in the driver door. It lists your payload rating.

Payload is how much the truck can carry not including the driver. So weight of the WD hitch, tongue weight, weight of your spouse, dog, and stuff all counts against the payload. Which also is deducted from your towing capacity. So if all your "stuff" weighs 800#, your towing capacity drops by that much.

RPO Codes
GU4 = 3.08 RATIO
GU5 = 3.23 RATIO
GU6 = 3.42 RATIO
GT4 = 3.73 RATIO
GT5 = 4.10 RATIO
G80 = Locking rear differential

I think this is very doable, but it's not a combo I'd take through mountains or on long trips. It may seem OK because you have nothing to compare it to. For what it's worth, I've towed closer than than that to my rated capacities. Sure, it's OK, but it's far better with a properly sized tow vehicle. I just read on another forum where someone traded their mini-van for a F150 and couldn't believe the difference in towing ability and comfort.

Make sure your WD is setup properly, I'm assuming your dealer did it? The front fender spec for GM is to bring the front fender back to stock height when adjusting the hitch.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

I would like to say they did but I don't believe so. I think I could leave one more Chan hanging then what they did. I can check the rest after work
Old 04-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #4

I had a 2005 Colorado with the I5 engine that I pulled our x17z with a couple of times. It really gave the truck a workout when the trailer was loaded, including water. Ended up getting a Sierra half ton (partly because the 4 wheel drive quit on the Colorado). The Sierra has a 5.3 L V8 and pulled the x17z perfectly! We have since traded the x17Z for a Whitehawk 24RKS. A lot depends on how far you tow and if you are in the hills a lot. That is what really puts a strain on your tow vehicle. Haven't regretted the truck or the trailer upgrade although the x17z is a nice trailer!
Rick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #5

I'm thinking of mostly short trips but do have plans on a 3-4 hour trip and and a nother 2 hours or so with
A big up hill.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #6

so we bought the x17z last year and had a 2001 Nissan Xterra which was rated for 5000 lbs towing capacity. I believe the x17z is 3200 lbs dry weight. it pulled it no problem. I live in Manitoba Canada. no hills here. the only time I had to go uphill was for an overpass which made me get rid of the SUV and got a full size truck. also I didn't go faster then 90 km/h because if I did the SUV sounded like its going to fall apart. and yes the SUV was in an excellent shape. :P
after I bought the Tundra I took a 5 hour trip. I passed a semi truck uphill doing 110 km/h. like butter. Love it. so much easier to pull that camper. also the x17z is a light trailer so I don't try to pack lots in there for the travel. way more room on a full size truck. you're limited to how much you can pack into your trailer as well as into your vehicle.

I will try to find my old thread. I was in the same boat like you. I was trying to figure out what to do. if I find it I will post it here.
1988 Starcraft pop up trailer - Retired
Tomsuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #7

here is the post I had when I was trying to figure out what all this. lots of good tips

hope it helps

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...17z-17954.html
1988 Starcraft pop up trailer - Retired
Tomsuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:27 AM   #8

One other thing to look for (google search) is the "towing worksheet" for your truck or any tow vehicle. When I had questions on towing capacities for my previous truck (a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4), I found a PDF file out there on the web that was created by Ford. It listed all the engines, body styles, rear gearing options, and based on these factors, listed the towing specs. Then it had an additional worksheet that you would fill out, such as any other factory or aftermarket options (wheels, tires, cab accesories) that would add weight that needed to be subtracted from the max weight the truck could safely haul. Hitch type was also factored in. It then mentioned the people, gear, and other "essentials" one may be bringing along.

I found this pdf file very useful when initially calculating what my Ranger was capable of towing.

However, after two towing trips using the Ranger, I made my decision to purchase a larger TV. While my Ford Ranger was able to pull my Jayco Featherlite 16xrb, it did not feel comfortable doing it on longer trips to campgrounds.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:15 AM   #9

Thanks guys. And bucko if you know where to find one of those PDF files for Chevy's I would like to take a look at it. Talked to some guys on a Colorado forum and they say an aftermarket trans cooler and run in third gear as my truck does not have a tow/haul button or an overdrive shut off. Weights are good not by a lot but in the good. Still kinda worried about the trany but I guess time will tell.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy.canuck View Post
Thanks guys. And bucko if you know where to find one of those PDF files for Chevy's I would like to take a look at it. Talked to some guys on a Colorado forum and they say an aftermarket trans cooler and run in third gear as my truck does not have a tow/haul button or an overdrive shut off. Weights are good not by a lot but in the good. Still kinda worried about the trany but I guess time will tell.
Found this:

How To: Towing with your Colorado - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

And yes, an automatic transmission cooler (if your tow vehicle does not have one) is highly recommended to extend the transmission life, along with automatic transmission fluid changes performed around 30K. Heat is the number one factor in automatic transmission wear and failure; towing adds to an automatic transmissions work load, so keeping the fluid cool is an excellent move.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Payload is how much the truck can carry not including the driver. So weight of the WD hitch, tongue weight, weight of your spouse, dog, and stuff all counts against the payload. Which also is deducted from your towing capacity. So if all your "stuff" weighs 800#, your towing capacity drops by that much.
The driver counts against payload as well.