Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #1

145RB SLX Baja Question(s)

Brand new to the group!
Wife and I have been looking at the little 145 SLX Baja editions. We found one nearby that is a 2018. Pics show it's a Baja. The owner is a really nice guy but he said he doesn't know if it's pre-wired for solar. Am i correct in assuming that all 2018 Baja editions would be pre wired for solar? From what i've read, that's standard for the the Baja package, right?

He seems to be asking a fair price and it's been garage kept it's whole life. I think we're going to go out later and take a look.

What other obvious things should I look for while I'm there? I know to look for water damage, etc... I've read through the forums quite a bit.

We'd be towing with a 2001 Land Cruiser (V8). Seems like that should be enough. I'd like to tow with her Tacoma but it's just a v6 and doesn't have the tow package. I guess the dry weight is around 2400lbs or so.

Any tips for an annoying new guy is welcome.

Thanks!
Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #2

Our 2019 174 Baja was not wired for solar. It really doesn’t matter. We picked up a 100W solar suitcase and made a simple SAE connection to our batteries. All prewired means is they run a wire from the roof to near the batteries
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #3

As to price it should be under 60% maybe 50% as they rarely sell for full retail.

The rv will need a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) and I recommend the Andersen for it's anti sway, easy install and hookup. A great one for your combo.

A lot of the solar pre-wired have a sticker on the front and should have wires come out onto the roof plus into the storage compartment or behind the battery. Mine doesn't but I saw some on the lot at the time that did. Google Jayco solar prep for some pictures and information
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:32 PM   #4

Our 195rb baja was not prewired, but no big deal as gladecreekwy notes. Tacoma should tow it fine, I tow mine, which is heavier, with a 4Runner 6cyl without issue (slows down on really steep grades). I do have the Andersen WDH.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

Look at that Baja everywhere, inside and out...twice. The first time is to see if the size and layout will work for you. Storage, room for everyone in the family, and their stuff. etc. The second time, look for anything that may be wrong, or missing. Ask the owner a lot of questions, and take notes if you like. Then sleep on it for a day or two, just to be sure you're still excited to buy it, unless you've already done your homework and have made up your mind it's the model you really want. Then go for it. Good luck!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:02 AM   #6

We have a 2014 145RB. It is just right for 2 people. If you are 6ft tall, you will likely just need to duck a bit to clear the interior ceiling. If you are 5ft tall you should check to see if the entry stairs are too tall. If you are 6ft tall you should stretch out on the bed area to see if you fit. If you are 6ft tall, you should try standing in the tub/shower, you might find your head is in the sky light. We tow our 145rb with a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 with the factory tow package. We use over-drive off mode when on any up hill highway stretch and also on most interstates too. Also remember that you can't run the microwave and the ac when plugged into a household 120v 20amp outlet. And a disclaimer...we are both under 5ft5in.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #7

You should have no trouble towing with your Tacoma. We tow a 2013 145RB with axle flip with our 2013 VW Tiguan and it has no trouble towing or stopping. We use a sway bar but no weight distribution.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. Follow up. We got it!

There's a lot to learn. I'm almost overwhelmed with how much I have to learn. However, i have a lot of free time these days.

I did notice by rear wheels/tires were giving off a lot of heat after the 1 hour drive home. Previous owner had a Haynes brake controller installed on the Land Cruiser but it was not getting a connection. So I don't know if it was brakes or maybe my PSI was too low or what.

We are trying to figure out a solar option and reading up as much as my brain can handle. Then I forget it all.

Overall we are happy so far! I know we have a lot to learn and I'm sure will post questions on here.

Thanks everyone for your guidance and input. It was helpful and we're glad we found these forums. See you soon!

Beagle
Old 04-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #9
Site Team

Congratulations! Yet another Happy Camper among us! Ask us anything that comes to mind. That's what we all wait for.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #10

Welcome and congrats on the 145RB. It is a great improvement over our pop-up.For solar go get a Harbor Freight kit. or a Predator 3500 generator that will allow you to sell excess electricity to your fellow campers. All kidding aside get ready for one of the best kept secrets/value in the RV industry with the 145RB.
There are a couple of videos on YouTube of people that have their modified 145's
I went with a Prodigy brake controller of others because I did not want to be using my phone and needing to brake the trailer at the same time.

We decided to leave the table down and put a foam topper on it. We picked up 2 folding tables at where else..... Walmart along with other things. Is it camping unless you go to Walmart at least once twice or 5 times.

The kitchen we are going to put a back splash this year we cook in our camper when its raining. Wifeypoo found a single serve Keurig Mini K plus that fits in the cabinet above the sink all the way to the left when transporting fits like a glove. I got a plug in outlet adapter with 2 110 volt and 2 USB outlets for the kitchen area. And now for what I think is the best thing in the whole Jayco SLX 7 series is the large open counter space over the refrigerator this coupled with the orientation of the sink and front to back stove top gives you the best workable kitchen in a small travel trailer across the industry. You can prep your meal rinse off vegetables, cook, clean up and put a drying mat down and air dry your pots and pans

We use the area under the table to store the tables and folding chairs and the dog's bed. She likes it it make her feel like shes home.

I cut the bottom of the bathroom door off to clear the throw rug and the top to clear the AC, we have the roof mount.I got a shoe organizer for the bathroom door I hang it up when camping and take it down when traveling. Get the fabric one, its much nicer then those clear plastic ones we got a long door mirror that i put up when camping on the main cabin side of the bathroom door helps make the camper feel bigger. Yes Wally World I keep a 7 gallon Aquatainer in the tub when traveling along with a full tank. Today I am getting a Max air fan and cover installed yes i could do it my self since ours is under warranty I chose to let the dealer do it and cover any leaks in the future $350.00

I mounted a tool box on the rear bumper I used 2 pieces of aluminum channel and 2 U bolts to mount the box to. This is my Black Tank box this carries all my hoses, adapters, dedicated clean up hose and nozzle disposable gloves and disinfectant spray. I use the bumper to store emergency firewood. There's a area between the the bumper and the camper body that I keep a cheap pole pruner worth carrying if you plan to boondock and for campgrounds that are not so well maintained plus it pushes out the firewood.

The side compartment can hold a lot of stuff if you put it in there right. Having the black tank box on the back really frees up a lot of space. We keep our Dutch oven, grilling stuff. leveling blocks RV jack stands for the front, chocks, a outdoor carpet, spare chair for a guest, small tool box HF plastic ammo can that is camper specific stuff. T.V. carries a more comprehensive tool box. A tarp I use to hang from the awning end to block sun or wind. When we store our camper I can fit all the WD hitch in there it with the camper and secure.

These are just some of my ideas for my first year with our 145. This year i want to put a window in the door and a few other things. We did have a few rainy days that forced us to stay inside we would go to the store or find a place open to walk around like a museum. And neither one of us is doing 20 to Life for offing the other. lol. The 145 forces you to spend your time outdoors but gives you a great place to sleep cook and live. Again congratulations on your 145 feel free to contact me if you have any questions Debbie and Don
Old 04-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdon Journeys View Post
Welcome and congrats on the 145RB. It is a great improvement over our pop-up.For solar go get a Harbor Freight kit. or a Predator 3500 generator that will allow you to sell excess electricity to your fellow campers. All kidding aside get ready for one of the best kept secrets/value in the RV industry with the 145RB.
There are a couple of videos on YouTube of people that have their modified 145's
I went with a Prodigy brake controller of others because I did not want to be using my phone and needing to brake the trailer at the same time.

We decided to leave the table down and put a foam topper on it. We picked up 2 folding tables at where else..... Walmart along with other things. Is it camping unless you go to Walmart at least once twice or 5 times.

The kitchen we are going to put a back splash this year we cook in our camper when its raining. Wifeypoo found a single serve Keurig Mini K plus that fits in the cabinet above the sink all the way to the left when transporting fits like a glove. I got a plug in outlet adapter with 2 110 volt and 2 USB outlets for the kitchen area. And now for what I think is the best thing in the whole Jayco SLX 7 series is the large open counter space over the refrigerator this coupled with the orientation of the sink and front to back stove top gives you the best workable kitchen in a small travel trailer across the industry. You can prep your meal rinse off vegetables, cook, clean up and put a drying mat down and air dry your pots and pans

We use the area under the table to store the tables and folding chairs and the dog's bed. She likes it it make her feel like shes home.

I cut the bottom of the bathroom door off to clear the throw rug and the top to clear the AC, we have the roof mount.I got a shoe organizer for the bathroom door I hang it up when camping and take it down when traveling. Get the fabric one, its much nicer then those clear plastic ones we got a long door mirror that i put up when camping on the main cabin side of the bathroom door helps make the camper feel bigger. Yes Wally World I keep a 7 gallon Aquatainer in the tub when traveling along with a full tank. Today I am getting a Max air fan and cover installed yes i could do it my self since ours is under warranty I chose to let the dealer do it and cover any leaks in the future $350.00

I mounted a tool box on the rear bumper I used 2 pieces of aluminum channel and 2 U bolts to mount the box to. This is my Black Tank box this carries all my hoses, adapters, dedicated clean up hose and nozzle disposable gloves and disinfectant spray. I use the bumper to store emergency firewood. There's a area between the the bumper and the camper body that I keep a cheap pole pruner worth carrying if you plan to boondock and for campgrounds that are not so well maintained plus it pushes out the firewood.

The side compartment can hold a lot of stuff if you put it in there right. Having the black tank box on the back really frees up a lot of space. We keep our Dutch oven, grilling stuff. leveling blocks RV jack stands for the front, chocks, a outdoor carpet, spare chair for a guest, small tool box HF plastic ammo can that is camper specific stuff. T.V. carries a more comprehensive tool box. A tarp I use to hang from the awning end to block sun or wind. When we store our camper I can fit all the WD hitch in there it with the camper and secure.

These are just some of my ideas for my first year with our 145. This year i want to put a window in the door and a few other things. We did have a few rainy days that forced us to stay inside we would go to the store or find a place open to walk around like a museum. And neither one of us is doing 20 to Life for offing the other. lol. The 145 forces you to spend your time outdoors but gives you a great place to sleep cook and live. Again congratulations on your 145 feel free to contact me if you have any questions Debbie and Don
Wow! Thanks! That's a lot of useful info! I'm going down to look at a 2000 wt. Predator today. We have the side mount AC and the few times we feel like we will need a genny, I think that will be enough. I have to get a bigger one later anyways for other stuff (way on down the road) so we'll see.

I like the mounted box on the back idea. I'd heard some people stored the sewer hose "in the bumper" but not sure what that even means. Also wondering if I could store an extra Jerry can for fuel mounted somewhere on the rig? We might get into some areas where fuel could be semi-scarce and would like to have some back up.

Thanks again for all of the tips. Sounds like a cool rig!
Old 05-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
We have a 2014 145RB. It is just right for 2 people. If you are 6ft tall, you will likely just need to duck a bit to clear the interior ceiling. If you are 5ft tall you should check to see if the entry stairs are too tall. If you are 6ft tall you should stretch out on the bed area to see if you fit. If you are 6ft tall, you should try standing in the tub/shower, you might find your head is in the sky light. We tow our 145rb with a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 with the factory tow package. We use over-drive off mode when on any up hill highway stretch and also on most interstates too. Also remember that you can't run the microwave and the ac when plugged into a household 120v 20amp outlet. And a disclaimer...we are both under 5ft5in.
I know it's an older thread, hopefully @ranchosinvacas will see my reply! Based on your screen name we are probably "neighbors"! I am wondering how your Tacoma tows that trailer on one of the typical steeper grades around here like down and up Salt River Canyon or out of Black Canyon I-17 to Flag. Any input?
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #13

We avoid the I-17 corridor on any day before, or any day after, a 3 day Holiday weekend. The return south from Flagstaff on any Summer Sunday down the I-17 is something like a NASCAR event. The same is true on the return south down the Salt River Canyon.
We're retired so we can schedule our trips to the Pine Country so as to avoid some of the worst of the traffic. The 2015 Tacoma 4x4 has the factory tow package which includes the 3.73 rear axle ratio. The Toyota is basically running in over-drive off position on the I-17 and the US 60. On occasion it will drop to 3rd on the way up to White Mtns and stays in 4th on the way to the Rim Country. Also, we drop it into the lower ranges on the down hill run back to Globe. Others may disagree, but we are convinced that a WDH with sway control is totally necessary because of I-17 crosswinds. We pack the truck and TT light, and only carry a few gallons of water in the on-board tank. A full load of water is carried only for trips that are near home. At well maintained campgrounds, but without dump stations, we often use the seemingly clean restrooms rather than haul a full "black" tank back home to our own septic tank...ahh the joys of a rural lifestyle! Others will say...why have a TT and not use the Black tank? Well, we do, but usually for the just the nite-time bathroom trips! On most outings we buy groceries in Wal-Mart at Flagstaff or Pinetop-Lakeside. Remember, that Tacoma or most other Mid-size 4x4's can handle the "weight" of the 145RB, it is the giant "wall" of of sheet metal behind us that slows us down and uses up the fuel. As always, these are one person's observations and others are free to disagree
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote