Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2020, 08:32 PM   #1

154BH Need sway control?

Good evening, I have a 154BH and just bought a Chevy Silverado 1500 with build in trailer brake controller and a tow limit of 10000 lbs. I know the truck will tow the camper with no issue at all, but do you think I need a sway control to tow the camper? Does anyone tow without it? Let me know your thoughts. Thank you
Cmslovinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:00 AM   #2

Nope. We have the 174 and it tows great without it. TV is a Tundra.
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:08 AM   #3

I have the 154bh year 2016. Trust me ,you need sway control!.Took first trip without it and almost lost control when trucks went by. Now have no problem.
kennyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:28 AM   #4

You have a fairly light TT. I would strongly recommend sway control, you might not need a WDH. If you chose that route, ensure it has integrated sway control. Otherwise you should be able to get by with one or two friction sway bars.

Friction bars do need to be disconnected prior to backing up or they will be damaged.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:47 AM   #5

Sway control is like car insurance. You may never need it. Until you need it.

Many years ago we got caught in a rain storm. We were nearly home from a camping trip with our old 17ft hybrid trailer. I was doing about 45mph. I hit a slick spot and the rear wheels of the truck went sideways. The trailer swayed violently. I've always believed if I didn't have the sway control bar I would have lost the trailer. That was the longest 10 seconds in my life. And the only time in 16 years of towing travel trailers I ever experienced sway.

At $75 it's cheap insurance. Never leave for a trip without it.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...SABEgJ4xfD_BwE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmslovinski View Post
snip......I know the truck will tow the camper with no issue at all, but do you think I need a sway control to tow the camper?........snip
Yes....., especially during less than ideal towing conditions a friction sway control bar will enhance towing characteristics of the 154BH. A single axle TT can exhibit a little more reactive side-to-side movement even with a well matched TV.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #7

We have a 195RB and do not have a sway bar system. Never had a problem in 5 years. My 2 cents.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:19 AM   #8

I got the Andersen and stopped once at a rest area where there were several commercial trailer haulers. I asked why they were stopped. They said the crosswinds were bad. I hadn't even noticed it. Zero sway when big trucks go by.

You may not need the Weight Distribution but the sway feature is a lifesaver, literally.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #9

i have a 154bh with weigh distirbution and sway bar and i just leave the sway bar at home. I wouldn't leave home without the weight distribution bars. I used the sway bars a few times and could really see no use for them. The trailer is so light and small compared to some of the larger ones you see on the highway. Either way, if you're concerned, just order a WD system that comes with the side sway bar and you can try for yourself.
arizona_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #10

I've pulled a 174BH with and without a hitch with sway control and while it was fine without the sway control, the difference with it is greatly appreciated.

Without it, I would feel semi's push the trailer around. Windy sections of highway were uncomfortable. It never felt like it was getting out of control, but I certainly didn't enjoy it. I would limit my speed to around 100-105km/h.

I put on the Andersen and haven't felt sway ever since. I don't even think about it when semi's go by. I can go 115km/h and it feels better than 100km/h used to.

I don't even care about the WD part of the equation. If you're worried about bending the A-Frame then you can put the minimum amount of weight on on the chains and still benefit from the sway control part.
rewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:57 PM   #11

Its really hard to compare until you have towed with and without a WDH. We put 120K miles on the 195 without one. I suspect we just adjusted when semis went by. Nothing knuckle biting mind you and we loved towing in a TX ice storm last Feb ( I kid you not)

Now with a little bigger unit and a WDH the braking and steering is rock solid and nothing seems to affect the TT. I had a sense of front end wander without it. Our tow vehicle would not accept a WDH. Otherwise its pretty cheap insurance. We are quite happy with our Andersen. I think would we go back to the 195 without a WDH it would be pucker it up time.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #12

I have pulled my trailer in very bad weather. We may travel through three states and have been in some bad weather. Wind on top of a large bridge. Mine is always on and thank God! For the cost it is well worth it. Save money on something else!
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #13

We bought a 174BH last fall and tow with a Mercedes ML350 AWD. While we have towed it on several trips and have about 2,000 miles on it so far, I did just buy an Andersen WDH. Never had any issue, just used a Sway Bar like this one. https://smile.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-48...3695094&sr=8-3

Again, never had any issues, even when we towed across the Tacoma Narrows bridge for a couple of our trips last fall. But we do have a 10 day 5 state trip planned for this summer so I figured I would drop the $$ and get a WDH just for the added safety.

With our original setup the rear of the TV was dropping about 3" at the receiver tube. With the Andersen WDH installed, there is less than 1" of drop.

Current Camper - 2019 Jayco 174BH
fisduki is offline   Reply With Quote