Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

165 floor project update

finally getting closer to the end all new sub floor, vinyl etc. as I've explained. see new pics. I took out the upper bunk and cut the wall to open things up. moved one switch and light that were in that wall.the switch is there for overhead and porch light, when you come in the door. I saved all the old pieces and re-used.now putting cabinets back in. I put the shower surround in but I've left it and the tub loose so I can monitor my still present although very small. leaks. i capped off the p trap under the tub. it can be re-connected.i don't like the fact that the tub drains into the small black water tank. I still have use of the faucet with a basin in the tub... didn't like the oversize 30 gallon fresh water tank, so I got a new 10 gallon that I can get at better.i cleaned, re connected, and will test every system in the trailer before I close the walls up. I even am leaving a lot of parts put together with screws so I have no surprises and can remove most pieces. I'm not crazy , I just wanted to have things accessible and in view. I'm happy with how the floor came out with the lines looking nice and square to the couch and walls. got almost the whole thing done in one piece. I kept the floor back about 3 inches all around the perimeter that is hidden, so I can watch for potential problems....this has all been done to get me from boston to san diego to see my son ..maybe even to stay there.....stay tuned
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00407.JPG   DSC00408.JPG   DSC00409.JPG   DSC00410.JPG   DSC00411.JPG  

DSC00412.JPG   DSC00413.JPG   DSC00414.JPG  
rewcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #2

the bed / bath wall panel that looks bowed is not attached
Old 02-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Seems like a great project and very time consuming and a lot of patience. I just went through your other tread I found under the light weights. And was wondering I had not heard from you for awhile. You've done a great job and you can be proud you fixed. Damage like that should never have happen in the first place. Is this cause by faulty workmanship on the assembly line you think? Let us know when you start your trip to San Diego and post something about the journey.

We were looking at an Eagle but seems a bit heavy for a 1/2 ton, so we went with the 2005 Jay Feather LTG - 29Y. 31 ft. is long enough and we can have some visitors.
Have to pick it up coming Thursday the 25th. Have only seen the pictures and a video so I hope it is in good condition. Once home it will go through severe inspections, I don't want to go through the things you had to go through. I have a month exchange if we don't like the unit.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Looking good!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

thanks for the interest at 66 I think this is the last project of this size that I attempt to do.....
Old 02-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #6

Ohhh...getting that much closer to camping time! Looks good and thanks for the update.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #7

165 floor repair

I bought a 2002 kiwi a couple of years ago with floor problems. I had to replace the floor from the wheels forward. After I had the new sub floor in I went out in the morning to continue working and found moisture on the floor by the baggage doors in the front. We only had dew the night before. I had my dad slowly pour a bottle of water down the side of the trailer over the baggage doors and found the water was going in behind the piano hinge and past the door gasket. I replaced the door gasket and still had the problem. I bought the trailer in Oregon and live in southern CA so the problem is solved because it never rains here in southern CA ha ha. I just put a towel on the floor when any moisture is expected. I am glad to here you are fixing the floor and not just covering it up. I know from my experience what you are going through and wish you the best of luck in finishing the job. Good luck on you up coming trip and post some pictures and if you should happen to run into any rain along the way please bring it with you we sure could use it in the southern part of the state.
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #8

i'll check on that door, but all 4 corners have a little problem off and on. my thought was exactly that...live where it's dry and I won't have a problem. it may never really be bad anyway. I used 5/8 pts plywood, and one piece I had left over, I've had outside in rain ,snow, even put it right under my gutter drain, and no change in over 5 months...at least I used good stuff. thanks for your interest, and I'll post the ongoing work pics.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #9

Question on floor plan changes

I am hoping original poster REWCAMPER... or someone else that has tried some significant modifications can give me advice.
I have a 2013 SLX 185RB model it has all sorts of storage but a very cramped bathroom where the door is at a 45 degree wall , so toilet is 14 inches from door . But there is a full floor to ceiling closet right beside the bathroom (so next to toilet) So I am dreaming of taking out the wall between the bathroom and closet and moving toilet over into where closet was and maybe even installing a wall hung tiny sink on trailer back wall where toilet was , that way toilet is turned 90 degrees and moved left almost two feet and makes for much better size bathroom. I am not so worried about the wood and paneling changes (I am pretty good carpenter) But am I opening up a can of worms trying to relocate toilet plumbing? I suspect toilet drops directly into black tank, so to do it I would need have toilet raised on pedestal and have plumbing sloped to original drain and hide it all under a new vanity. Or rip out the floor and really go to town with changes to black tank even.
Am I opening up a bigger can of worms than I think?
Attached Thumbnails
2014-jay-flight-swift-slx-185rb.jpg  
Old 07-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I am hoping original poster REWCAMPER... or someone else that has tried some significant modifications can give me advice.
I have a 2013 SLX 185RB model it has all sorts of storage but a very cramped bathroom where the door is at a 45 degree wall , so toilet is 14 inches from door . But there is a full floor to ceiling closet right beside the bathroom (so next to toilet) So I am dreaming of taking out the wall between the bathroom and closet and moving toilet over into where closet was and maybe even installing a wall hung tiny sink on trailer back wall where toilet was , that way toilet is turned 90 degrees and moved left almost two feet and makes for much better size bathroom. I am not so worried about the wood and paneling changes (I am pretty good carpenter) But am I opening up a can of worms trying to relocate toilet plumbing? I suspect toilet drops directly into black tank, so to do it I would need have toilet raised on pedestal and have plumbing sloped to original drain and hide it all under a new vanity. Or rip out the floor and really go to town with changes to black tank even.
Am I opening up a bigger can of worms than I think?
i am considering about the same thing, we have a 195rb and i can't for the life of me figure out why it has such a small black tank, same as yours 9 gallons. i have found a 25 gallon tank they will fit between the frame rails guess i'll find out this winter how good a plummer i am.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:39 AM   #11

floor on jay feather exp

We have taken much of the floor out of our Jay Feather from the first stud (about 1/3 of the way from the front). When talking to an rv mechanic I was told I will have to get the new floor under the walls of the trailer. Not sure how to do that short of jacking up the walls which seems extreme. When reading about a floor fix on another site, the person used clamps that would attach to the floor and the wall. Not sure what to do but don't want to jack up the walls of the trailer.
clhobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #12

I did have to raise parts of the body to get the floor out.i also removed all the mouldings around the perimeter as they are screwed into the side edges of the floor..and there are screws going up through the bottom into the aluminum tubing that is the bottom of the wallall screws were rusted to being basically just heads you need putty tape scraped off and replaced also.....and the plastic belly covering is stapled and wrapped around the edge of the floor and the staples can be pryed up if the floor is soft enough.the floor in some spots was an inch thick and swollen from the original 5/8. I replaced the floor in pieces so I could handle getting it under the wall.i used 5/8 pts plywood. it took me 7 months part time through the winter, outside , to remove the interior, do all the work, new sub floor and vinyl, and re install the whole interior. I was also able to fix or re route any wires, plumbing, tank location etc. I haven't used it at all since...now it's for sale....haha I layed on my side for so long picking and scraping the floor out, that I screwed up my back...65 year old carpenter, I expect some pain with the project..good luck....I have pics posted somewhere on the forums