Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2022, 08:35 AM   #1

166 FBS Brake Problem

I have a new 166FBS purchased in Jan this year. On a recent trip to Idaho ( the third since purchase) I started noticing the trailer brakes becoming less effective. When I returned home and investigated the problem I found both wheels as shown in the photo. The grease seal was NOT seated and was completely detached from the hub. It appears to have never been properly installed but I'm not absolutely sure. The brakes were put to heavy use crossing the Bighorn Mountains and Teton Pass in Wyoming. What a mess! I originally thought to use degreaser on the assembly and reuse but decided to just replace them. By the way the brake size on my trailer is 12 X 2.
Attached Thumbnails
20220622_065531.jpg  
2006 RAM 3500 Dually (still have)
jmckelvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckelvy View Post
I have a new 166FBS purchased in Jan this year. On a recent trip to Idaho ( the third since purchase) I started noticing the trailer brakes becoming less effective. When I returned home and investigated the problem I found both wheels as shown in the photo. The grease seal was NOT seated and was completely detached from the hub. It appears to have never been properly installed but I'm not absolutely sure. The brakes were put to heavy use crossing the Bighorn Mountains and Teton Pass in Wyoming. What a mess! I originally thought to use degreaser on the assembly and reuse but decided to just replace them. By the way the brake size on my trailer is 12 X 2.
I'm almost positive this was over-greased and pushed the seal out.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:11 AM   #3

That was my first thought also. The seals did not show any visible signs/marks of having been installed all the way in. When I reinstalled the seals they fit very tightly. Given the small surface area of the metal vs the rubber part of the seal I am skeptical that enough pressure would be exerted without simply releasing grease past the rubber part of the seal rather than popping out the entire seal.
2006 RAM 3500 Dually (still have)
jmckelvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckelvy View Post
That was my first thought also. The seals did not show any visible signs/marks of having been installed all the way in. When I reinstalled the seals they fit very tightly. Given the small surface area of the metal vs the rubber part of the seal I am skeptical that enough pressure would be exerted without simply releasing grease past the rubber part of the seal rather than popping out the entire seal.
Their won't be visible marks on the outer steel casing of the seal. Even small grease guns put out a tremendous amount of pressure. The rubber part isn't rubber. It's neoprene reinforced with a circular band of high tensile spring. And yes, you can pop the rear seal out with grease pressure.

I'm a firm believer in packing bearings with the wheels off, bearings out where you can see them. And it gives you an opportunity to check the shoe thickness, drums for scoring and the magnets for the shoes. Another hint, don't ever try to re-use the shoes. They cannot be cleaned.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
snip.......I'm a firm believer in packing bearings with the wheels off, bearings out where you can see them.......snip
X2

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:48 AM   #6

If your hub was completely full of grease someone used the EZ lube and blew the seal out. Similar to how a hydraulic jack works, small amount of pressure placed on a larger area (your seal) generates a lot of force. If new from the factory, or from doing a manual bearing repack most of the grease will only be on the bearings.
I have used the EZ lube once on my 5er, before a trip last fall, hubs warm, spinning wheel. Pulled hubs last spring, had grease push past 1 seal lip. I'll never use it again.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:38 AM   #7

You can use degreaser on all the metal parts but I would definitely recommend installing new brake shoes and grease seals! You will never get the grease out of the shoe material and I'm sure the seals are bad from being installed improperly and/or coming loose.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote